Full Moon Feast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2006, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got my copy of Full Moon Feast in the post. I've not had time yet to read it properly but it looks very inspiring.

I was quickly flicking thru the recipes on the wort moon & notice she uses regular kefir grains or yoghurt whey. We're about out of raw milk for the winter so I'll not have any spare kefir grains until spring but I can probably go some yoghurt whey. Has anyone tried making a soda with whey before?

Any other opinions about the book would be welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM

I think the book looks great. I haven't given it a good read yet either, but the chapter I read was interesting and the recipes show some depth and variety that are going to help us expand our options. I look forward to trying some of the sodas and ales and the lox. My mom has her eye on a few others.

I have used whey for sodas and it's fine. Watch for scum growing on the top and skim it every day or so.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 AM

I totally love this book. I haven't made a single recipe from it yet...there really aren't that many, which put me off at first, but once I started reading, oh my. I love all the connections she is making, and I love the emphasis on the moons. Makes the most sense to me that people's diets would have varied quite a bit by the season.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri Patetic
I totally love this book. I haven't made a single recipe from it yet...there really aren't that many, which put me off at first, but once I started reading, oh my.
There are about 75 recipes, but they are different enough that I forgave her for that very quickly.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 PM

The author is part of a group putting together a community sponsored kitchen much like a CSA. http://threestonehearth.com/ I point this out because they are selling the hibiscus rosehip cooler fermented with whey. If she can get reliable enough results to sell it, it must work fairly well. I also point it out because it's a nifty idea.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:12 PM

^^ That is so cool!

-Kelly

User Tag List