Traditional cheeses - which ones are pastured / raw? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 07-05-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that lots of traditional european cheeses are made from pastured and/or raw milk. I'm also interested in finding out more about "alpine" cheeses where the animals graze at high altitudes. We have pretty good cheese shops around here, but I don't know what to shop for. Which traditional cheeses are pastured, alpine-pastured, or raw? Is there a list somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-05-2006, 03:01 PM

Here are some interesting links for artisan cheeses. The first link takes you to a list of a number of cheese producers. The second link is to a artisan cheese producer in Vermont that does organic, pastured-Jersey, Alpine-style cheese.

http://www.forkandbottle.com/cheese/uscheese.htm

http://www.thistlehillfarm.com/

-Marc
#3 of 4 Old 07-05-2006, 03:08 PM

Here is iGourmet's selection of unpasteurized cheeses:

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/shopp...+Unpasteurized

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#4 of 4 Old 07-05-2006, 08:28 PM

OMG! Cheese! Cheese is my one true love. I lived in France for many years and became something of a cheese snob while there -- those pics at iGourmet had me drooling all over the place. Thanks for the links.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page