NT Food Prep Tools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your favorite kitchen tools that lend themselves well to NT food preparation? I have some birthday money that I need to spend

Which is better (easier to use/clean, and safer): ceramic cookware, or cast iron?
Does anyone have the wheat grinder attachment for their kitchenaid mixer? Are you happy with it? Where do you purchase wheat berries?
What is your favorite dehydrator?
#2 of 4 Old 07-06-2006, 05:01 PM

Don't have any answers but would love to know too
#3 of 4 Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
What are your favorite kitchen tools that lend themselves well to NT food preparation? I have some birthday money that I need to spend

Which is better (easier to use/clean, and safer): ceramic cookware, or cast iron?
Does anyone have the wheat grinder attachment for their kitchenaid mixer? Are you happy with it? Where do you purchase wheat berries?
What is your favorite dehydrator?
My workhorse is my cast iron skillet. Also all my Pyrex baking dishes, and my slow cooker with the ceramic pot. I use a coffee grinder (stainless steel blades) to grind flour in small batches. I can't afford an electric mill. I use Bob's Red Mill organic wheat berries. Their catalog store isn't far from my mother's house, so when I visit her I stock up.

Ann
#4 of 4 Old 07-06-2006, 07:01 PM

My most used piece of kitchen equipment is my food processor. It has even replaced my stand mixer, as it has a bread blade attachment that works as well or better. I use it to shred, slice, to mix, stir, etc.

Other than that, I'd also say a coffee grinder, as you can grind whole spices, seeds, nuts, flour, etc. in it. Very handy little gadget. Oh, and a really, really fantastic chef's knife is invaluable in any traditional kitchen, IMHO. Baking stones are wonderful, too, if you do much baking at all.

I don't have a dehydrator yet, so I'd love to know about that, too. I've heard good things about the Excalibur, but it has plastic trays, which I'm not so crazy about. I'd like to find one that works as well, but with stainless steel trays.

FWIW, I purchase wheat berries from Azure Standard. Don't know if they havea route in your area, but you can order a lot of their products via UPS, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page