Raw Milk Cream - Half & Half? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my dumb city girl question of the day!

In the other raw milk thread that is going now there was the suggestion (a great one!) to poke the hole in the bottom to get the cream off the top. Once you have the two separated, what do you have as far as how it would be classified in a grocery store? Heavy cream & nonfat milk? What would make half & half, half milk and half cream?

I'm still learning all this and so far have only used my raw milk as whole milk or made yogurt from the whole milk.

Deb
#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 PM

yes 1/2 & 1/2 is half milk and half cream...
#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2006, 09:33 PM

when I was getting milk I usually skimmed my cream for my coffee and then just had the milk...I guess it could be called like 1% or something but seriously tasted like whole or maybe 2%...it was still yummy though...just not as creamy as the full thing.
#4 of 5 Old 07-07-2006, 08:45 AM

I'm getting raw milk today for the first time... How much cream volume-wise, can I expect to get from 1/2 gallon of milk? (I am planning on reserving 1/2 gallon for drinking, 1/2 gallon for making yogurt.) Like enough to use in coffee for a few days, or to make whipped cream? I have no idea.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#5 of 5 Old 07-07-2006, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just seperated my first gallon this morning and i got about 20oz of cream off the top. That's like 15% of the gallon? This is from green pastured Jersey cows which I am told produce more cream than any other breed.

Deb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page