Traditional Foods Books/Cookbooks - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 95 Old 06-13-2008, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm messing with this one this summer:

Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Vinegar, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation (Paperback)
by The Gardeners and Farmers of Centre Terre Vivante

http://www.amazon.com/Preserving-Foo.../dp/1933392592

Just substitute something appropriate when they specify "sugar".

Has anyone checked out "The Farmer and the Grill" (http://www.amazon.com/Farmer-Grill-B.../dp/0979439108) yet?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#62 of 95 Old 09-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
I just picked up Stocking Up The Third Edition of The Classic Preserving Guide by Carol Hupping
My stepmom just gave me Stocking Up III. What a GREAT book I love it!!!!! I'm going to make my own sprouter with some of my glass canning jars and start sprouting all these beans I've been getting for free from WIC
#63 of 95 Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM

I love Lidia's Family Table by Lidia Mattichio Bastianich. It's full of traditional northern italian recipes.
#64 of 95 Old 11-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got an email from Rachel Albert-Matesz, author of The Garden of Eating (which I LOVE!) You can now order the new dessert book!!

The Ice Dream Cookbook

Yum! In the email, she included about 6 recipes that look AMAZING - like avocado ice cream!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#65 of 95 Old 11-16-2008, 10:44 AM

Has anyone read Kristina Amelong's Ten days to Optimal Health? My husband got it for my birthday (It was kind of weird to get a book largely about enemas for a birthday present and it was even weirder that he was so excited about giving me a book about enemas he had to give it to me two weeks early ). Has anyone followed her plan in that book? It basically seems to me like it is all the familiar Weston Price type stuff with enemas throw in.

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)
#66 of 95 Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 AM

The American Heritage Cookbook. http://www.amazon.com/The-American-h.../dp/0828100063

Printed in 1969, but pulls recipes from the 1600s to early 1900s. I have yet to cook anything from it, as it just arrived on Wednesday and Thanksgiving had me a bit busy, to say the least.
Would have to sub sugar in most recipes where it calls for it, and it often says shortening, but lard pops up rather frequently, as does butter. Lots of interesting historical notes, all whole ingredients. Got it off Amazon for under $2.

ETA: What lured me to this was a recipe for salt rising bread....haven't been successful yet, but have only tried once.
#67 of 95 Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 AM

KerryAnn from www.CookingTF.com has a weekly menu mailer that is traditional foods & GF/CF

She just came out with a book too
http://www.cookingtf.com/book.html
#68 of 95 Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Some wonderful, wonderful books that I think may be neglected in traditional TF circles, to everyone's detriment:

* Montagné, P., Gottschalk, A., Froud, N., & Turgeon, C. (1976). Larousse gastronomique. London [etc.]: Hamlyn. - An incredible food dictionary with a wealth of information on the preparation of both variety meats and exotic meats from tortoise to bear to sparrows.

* Escoffier, A. (1975). The Escoffier cook book: A guide to the fine art of French cuisine ; the classic by the master chef. New York: Crown. - In addition to the wealth of recipes for organ meats and exotic meats, Escoffier treats us to an amazing break down of traditional and elaborate techniques. Yes, a TF individual is not going to want to make the ultra-refined "stocks" of the French kitchen, but we can readily translate what he does with them to our own heartier dishes. Of special interest are the "cuisine de bonne femme," or farmwife cookery, that's the real TF food right there.

* Rinella, S. (2005). The scavenger's guide to haute cuisine. New York: Miramax Books/Hyperion. - A mouth watering account of a man's quest to prepare a traditional multiple course feast in the style of Escoffier (the previous book acted like his Bible while he worked on this project), entirely from wild ingredients. The books follows him mushroom hunting, struggling to trap sparrows (which are an invasive species and perfectly legal to kill any time you like in the US, in fact, killing them may save the native bluebirds which are dying out!), and turtle fishing.

* Lang, G. (1971). The cuisine of Hungary. Harmondsworth: Penguin. - Absolutely breathtaking, phenomenol book on Hungarian cuisine, as much a history book as anything else. I lucked out and found a copy at a by-the-box book sale (the only copies I've found in libraries are on the other coast!), and it is now bristling with book darts. Discusses everything you can imagine, along with techniques.

* Robertson, L., Flinders, C., & Godfrey, B. (1984). The Laurel's kitchen bread book: A guide to whole-grain breadmaking. New York: Random House. - Terrific, clear instructions for making whole grain starter based breads such as desem and sourdough. Also for making Essene bread! (The original one ingredient bread: you sprout your grain, mash the sprouts, knead them like dough, and let them ferment and rise! Then bake.)

* ******, G. B. (1968). The thousand recipe Chinese cookbook. Hamlyn.
- Interesting particularly for its use of cooking techniques I would never have encountered anywhere else, such as the making of "red pork," a method of preservation: Fill a pot with broth, seasonings, and strips of marinated pork. Boil it dry. Repeat this process until the pork is chewy and bright red. (Don't follow my instructions, this book is everywhere, peek in it for yourself.)

I'm cleaning out my bookshelves so I'm certain to find more wonderful books to add to this list!
--
AnnaArcturus
#69 of 95 Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM

I haven't seen this one up there yet. Preserved by Nick Sandler. Many TF friendly recipes and techniques - lactofermented sausages anyone?

Most anything by Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall is good too.

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#70 of 95 Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow2911 View Post
Most anything by Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall is good too.
Agreed; we have a few of his books, and they're all very good. But I wanted to put in a specific recommendation for The River Cottage Meat Book. It's a great cookbook on so many levels: a wonderful source of information, a fine collection of recipes, and an engaging work of literature. I'm completely smitten with it.
#71 of 95 Old 02-26-2009, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That looks awesome!

Hey - did anyone order the new Garden of Eating dessert cookbook?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#72 of 95 Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM

Jennifer Mclagan who wrote the "Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore" cookbook (mentioned on the first page of this thread) has a new book that looks really interesting:

"Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, With Recipes"

I haven't read it yet, but here's a review from amazon:

Review
"An unapologetic celebration of its title ingredient and a compelling argument that explains not only why fat is a fundamental flavor but also fundamental to our health." --Salon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Appreciati...6032661&sr=1-1
#73 of 95 Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM

Yup, Fat is a great book for sure. there is a chapter on butter, a chapter on lard, a chapter on beef and lamb fat, and a chapter on poultry fat. Its a big book so each chapter is pretty big. There is a generous introduction, then each chapter has a long introduction that talks all about that type of fat, its benefits, specific uses, different types of that type of fat and more, and then a section full of all sorts of recipes for that type of fat. (including dessert recipes in the "meat" fats. all sorts of things. They all seem fairly TF (I think the pastry dough might not be, but still, thats a pretty small exception.) as I recall. And the fat information is invaluable for anyone looking for new (old) ways to use real fats, or information about the fats themselves.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#74 of 95 Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Traditional Irish Cooking by Darina Allen.

She uses lots of eggs and cream and has recipes for all sorts of seafood and odd bits of animals, tails, heads, a chapter on offal, black and white puddings -lots of different variations. Her head cheese looks really tasty. She also has some fermented foods.

I paid $5 for this book at a garage sale, which was pretty expensive for garage sale shopping, and I absolutely love it. I use it all the time
#75 of 95 Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Does anyone know of a good TF cookbook geared towards kids?
Thanks!
#76 of 95 Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM

We use Rick Bayless' Authentic Mexican very often. He does call for vegetable oil in some recipes, but that's easily replaced. He uses lard, has instructions for making masa/hominy by soaking in lime, has recipes using offal and just stays true to traditional Mexican cooking in general.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#77 of 95 Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM

The New Soul Food Cookbook: Healthier Recipes for Traditional Favorites is an excellent book, you can get on Amazon.
#78 of 95 Old 08-26-2009, 12:57 AM

Just wanted to recommend "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. That was the book that led me down this path of eating TFs! It's not a cookbook, but it's very informative about the processed food industry and the deteriorating health of America today.

I also like "The Eat-Clean Diet" by Tosca Reno and especially the one for kids. It's geared more towards whole foods though. She recommends skim-milk for many recipes so I always disregard that.

Mom to a 2-year old (Josiah) and an angel baby (Jonas) in Heaven~ is in my profile~expecting my rainbow baby in November 2010!
#79 of 95 Old 10-02-2009, 04:02 PM

This is such a wonderful list. I hope I didn't miss this one above:

Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking

It's vegetarian, as am I still--it's hard to let 20 years of vegetarianism go yet...

Anyway, she may include meat recipes in her other books, but this is the only one of hers that I have. There are many excellent traditional Indian and other Asian recipes for cultured dairy and some lacto-fermented foods, and some unique vegetable dishes and egg dishes. You'd have to re-interpret some of the information, as it is obviously targeted for the main-stream Westerner, and do some other tweaks like extend soaking times for legumes and such, but all in all, it's a valuable book in my kitchen, especially now that I have successfully made my own buttermilk and yogurt. The recipes are also written for conventional dairy, so make changes accordingly if you are using raw milk, etc.

There is also an entire chapter dedicated to soy, however, if you are still eating fermented soy products, it has some recipes for making your own tofu, tempeh, etc.
#80 of 95 Old 10-05-2009, 07:17 PM

For those looking to make 'conventional' type whole grain breads using TF methods, Peter Reinhart's book, Whole Grain Breads is a winner.

Nearly all of the recipes call for pre-soaking all or part of the grains/flour and a long slow rise. There is, if I recall correctly, a lengthy chapter that discusses the science behind the idea of reducing the amounts of phytates in the grain.

#81 of 95 Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 PM

Are there any Gluten free TF cookbooks?????

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#82 of 95 Old 11-14-2009, 11:05 PM

I think that KerryAnn http:// www.cookingtf.com/mailer.html (link broken)

has some good recipes.
#83 of 95 Old 11-15-2009, 12:21 AM

yes she does I am just looking for a hands on cookbook.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#84 of 95 Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 AM

I was just thinking that her menu mailer book comes with recipes...
#85 of 95 Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 AM

Holistic Moms Network just came out with their new cookbook. It is basically a theme of many paths to health and can be found on their website. It has a Vegetarian section, GF, Macrobiotic, and Traditional Foods chapter.
#86 of 95 Old 11-15-2009, 12:17 PM

The Garden of Eating is a totally grain free, along w/ dairy free cookbook. Lots of yummy TF/paleo recipes.

The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook and the Spunky Coconut Cookbook are both gluten free, I believe, and pretty TF. (I do not have either, but I am pretty sure they are both gf.)

Also there is Bruce Fife's Cooking w/ Coconut Flour and The Gluten Free, Almond Flour Cookbook (all recipes can be made TF subbing honey for agave, etc.).

And Mother Necessity Gluten Free/Casein Free Recipes is another one--I am certain she soaks/sprouts grains b/4 cooking w/ them--I've looked through this book in the store and thought I would have loved it when first learning about gf/cf cooking. If you like baking w/ grains, this might be a good choice (along w/ the whole life nutrition cookbook and the spunky coconut). If you are more grainfree, the Garden of Eating, Coconut Flour and Almond Flour cookbooks will be more helpful.

HTH!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#87 of 95 Old 11-22-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
We use Rick Bayless' Authentic Mexican very often. He does call for vegetable oil in some recipes, but that's easily replaced. He uses lard, has instructions for making masa/hominy by soaking in lime, has recipes using offal and just stays true to traditional Mexican cooking in general.
Is this recommendation for the new Anniversary edition? Or the older one?

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa, momma to DD '10 , DD '07, DS '82 and partner to DH
#89 of 95 Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Not a cookbook but Primal Body - Primal Mind by Nora T. Gedgaudas is a good book on eating primal (basically a grain-free, legume-free diet) from a TF perspective (she references WAPF/Sally Fallon/NT a fair bit, among many other sources).
#90 of 95 Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 PM

What cookbook/eating plan is a good, quick overall guide???

I have to get a healthier diet going for my family. We don't follow any particular diet, but love international cuisine and actually eat vegan about half of the year. We aren't opposed to meat though... I'm a little cautious about dairy products, but do use them sparingly.

I appreciate any suggestions that come to mind!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page