Traditional Foods Books/Cookbooks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can we compile a list of good books/cookbooks related to NT/traditional foods eating? It would be great for people considering such a lifestyle change to have books to check out. Plus, I want to know what the rest of you are eating and cooking from!

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz - just got this from the library, and it's fantastic! So many great recipes, from sourdough to kimchi to fermented pickles, and dozens of things I've never even considered before.

Sue Gregg Cookbooks - This is more whole foods cooking than NT, but she's moving toward NT principles as she revises her cookbooks, and she's been heavily influenced by NT. If you already own the books, as I do, there are updates and revisions posted for free on her website, such as this one on Sprouted Breads and this one on the Two Stage Process for soaked flour whole wheat bread.

I'd love to see what other great books you guys read or want related to traditional foods.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#2 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The only one I currently own is Eat Fat, Lose Fat

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 02:40 PM

Full Moon Feast by Jessica Prentice (amazon link)

The Garden of Eating by Rachel Albert-Matesz & Don Matesz (amazon link)
#4 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 04:58 PM

Should this one be a sticky too?
#5 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 05:52 PM

Yes!
#6 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'd love for this to be a sticky.

Here's one I found when I was browsing toraji's Wish List :

Keeping Food Fresh: Old World Techniques & Recipes

Has anyone read it? It sounds fantastic.

~Serina~

#7 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 PM

I have it . . . it's pretty good, it has techniques for things like preserving cheese in oil (on the counter), etc.
#8 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 11:14 PM

I really like Ten Talents (although its heavy on the soy its great for fermenting advice and raw the uncook book

I also love the original Joy of Cooking.
#9 of 95 Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 PM

I should note that the Raw book is awesome when you adapt the recipes to fit within the concepts the NT advocates such as soaking. Juliano already uses the concept of sprouting but when you add soaking it becomes really amazing. Some of the recipes I have added raw fish and meat to.
#10 of 95 Old 07-08-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
I also love the original Joy of Cooking.
How do I get my hands on one of these?

~Serina~

#11 of 95 Old 07-09-2006, 02:26 PM

I stuck this thread for you.

Another book that I found had a lot of fermenting/culturing ideas was "The Body Ecology Diet"

Also - macrobiotic cookbooks. That's where I learned about all that stuff years ago when I interned at a macrobiotic cooking school.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#12 of 95 Old 07-14-2006, 08:18 PM

Do you like the Sue Gregg cookbooks?? I thought they looked interesting and was wondering how her recipes are/taste!!
#13 of 95 Old 07-15-2006, 02:26 AM

I like her stuff...I don't have any though..just a little sample book...
#14 of 95 Old 07-15-2006, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
I like her stuff...I don't have any though..just a little sample book...
Okay, thanks!!
#15 of 95 Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 PM

Oh, and definitely "Honey from a Weed". Superb. Old, old recipes and techniques from the Mediterranean world. With just a bit of adaptation, I think Paula Wolfert's cookbooks are very helpful for creative traditional foods cooking.

Some diet-related:
"The Four-fold Path to Healing"
"The Cholesterol Myth" by Uffe Ravnskov
"The Metabolic Typing Diet" by Wolcott
and of course, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston A.Price
#16 of 95 Old 07-22-2006, 07:30 PM

Has anyone read "Traditional Foods are your Best Medicine" by Ron Schmid?
#17 of 95 Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmamma
With just a bit of adaptation, I think Paula Wolfert's cookbooks are very helpful for creative traditional foods cooking.
Where the heck do they keep the "yeah, that" smiley? I've found Wolfert to be quite useful. Also Elizabeth David and, surprisingly (because it's not really about Traditional Foods) the Zuni Cafe Cookbook. But this is only if you get into tweaking things.
#18 of 95 Old 07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
AJP

The Untold Story of Milk by Ron Schmid. Excellent!!! I think anyone who uses dairy products should read it.

There's a great book about traditionally preserving meats called Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. Some of the recipes call for pink salt (sodium nitrite), but many do not use it, or it's optional, or can be substituted with a lactic-acid culture. The subtitle is "the craft of salting, smoking and curing", and chapter 1 is called "The reason for this food, this book: Why we still love and need hand-preserved foods in the age of the refrigerator, the frozen dinner, Domino's Pizza, and the 24-hour grocery store." We got the book because we bought a whole grassfed beef and half a pastured pig, and want to make things like bacon and other salted and/or smoked meats. My hubby made pastrami with the beef brisket (salt and spice dry rubbed, then smoked), and it's amazing!

There is no secret ingredient.
#19 of 95 Old 08-10-2006, 01:39 PM

I looked up Charcuterie on Amazon, and one of the books recommended also was The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating- and my library had both books!! So, I'm also recommending The Whole Beast to those who want to try offal. It's all very British style food, but it sounds so good! And I like that he doesn't take himself too seriously. And it's not just offal in there, he's got vegetable recipes, and a yummy sounding chocolate ice cream recipe, and condiments and chutneys in there too. But for NT purposes, the most valuable recipes in there, and the ones with offal.
#20 of 95 Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 PM

The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery has lots of very simple, basic traditional recipes (although some of them involve flour and sugar). They even tell you how to cook wild meat from your own backyard groundhog, anyone? It also tells you how to cook on an old fashioned woodstove! Cool book.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#21 of 95 Old 08-18-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesinottawa
Has anyone read "Traditional Foods are your Best Medicine" by Ron Schmid?
I have..I thought the Untold Story of Milk was much better and more in depth. The next book I want is one by Dr. Tom Cowan (he is on the WAPF board). I get some good info from Mercola's website too.

Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#22 of 95 Old 08-28-2006, 06:31 PM

I found this little gem at the library

Encarnacion's Kitchen: Mexican recipies from ninteeth-century California
Encarnacion Pinedo

lots of variety meats recipes (especially lamb,) everything uses lard and it is all really flavorful Californio cooking. I keep checking it back out, hehe
#23 of 95 Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 AM

Here are two excellent books about using those mysterious, "unfashionable" parts of the animal (tails, shanks, ribs, etc.).

Bones: Recipes, History and Lore, by Jennifer McCagan
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking, by Molly Stevens

In addition, Time-Life's excellent cookbook series, "The Good Cook," has a volume on "Variety Meats," which is out of print, but available used online.

---
I've also come across this fascinating collection of recipes for old-time "invalid dishes," such as gruel, caudle, beef tea, barley water, oxtail jelly, and herbal tonics. (It's also out of print, but available used.)

A Soothing Broth by Pat Willard

---
Here's a book of old-world recipes and instructions for making sausages. The author learned to cook as a child, watching his Russian grandmother prepare traditional dishes. He went on to study ethnic sausage-making techniques from around the world, to help preserve this dying art. Unlike the much more expensive and lavishly illustrated Charcuterie, none of these recipes call for nitrates.

The Sausage-Making Cookbook by Jerry Predika

---
Finally, a book of particular interest to those of Irish background:

Irish Food and Cooking by Georgina Campbell and Biddy White Lennon

This only came out last year, but it seems to be out of print already. (I found it on a St. Patrick's Day display at Borders.) Predictably, most of the baked goods call for refined grains and sugar, but there's also an excellent selection of recipes for soups, stews, roast game, etc. More importantly, this book has a great deal of information about traditional Irish diets (going back many centuries), which I haven't been able to find elsewhere.

---

For those researching traditional diets of other countries, especially in Europe: If you search the web for "SCA recipes [name of country]", you'll find many sites put together by members of the Society for Creative Anachronism, who enjoy researching medieval foods and cooking techniques. (For instance, Godecookery.com is a very extensive one.) These sites often have reviews of "historical cookbooks."

Here's someone's Amazon Listmania! list, which has many recommendations: Essential SCA Cooking and Food History Books

(I'm a little scared to order these books, because I bet they're going to tell me that my ancestors loved to eat "eel pie" or "potted eels" or something. I'm not generally squeamish; in fact, we had fried lamb's brains last week. But, for some reason, eels really freak me out. Unless they're grilled, in sushi. For some reason, that doesn't count. )
#24 of 95 Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 PM

Michigan State has a digital library with a historical cookbook collection: I've only had a little time to browse them but I find them SO interesting. Click on one of the book icons at the right to get started:

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/...oks/index.html

I want to second Mary Celeste's rec. of All About Braising. I got it at the end of last winter and can't wait to try more recipes. I just need a better source for some of these "cheaper" cuts, LOL. Also, cut the temp by 25-50 degrees F. She tends to braise on a higher heat than most so the liquid is boiling instead of simmering.

Finally, I got Irish Food & Cooking that she lists a few months ago at Borders (I believe) on their bargain cookbook table for $5.99. Look there first. (I'm so excited to hear of the history section since I've wanted to know more about what my Irish half ate.)

-Kelly
#25 of 95 Old 10-23-2006, 01:45 PM

This isn't a cookbook, but a great intro to NT principles which I highly recommend to NT newbies, especially friends who might be overwhelmed by all the info in Nourishing Traditions. It's called Real Food: What to Eat and Why, by Nina Planck and it just came out this year.

If you've read NT and the Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, most of it is review, but it's great for someone just getting started.
#26 of 95 Old 10-24-2006, 09:50 PM

Hey, have any of you guys heard of this one?
Native Nutrition: Eating According to Ancestral Wisdom
by Ronald F. Schmid

Sounds very interesting

Tanya
#27 of 95 Old 10-25-2006, 02:41 AM

as far as I know it goes hand in hand with NT.
#28 of 95 Old 11-26-2006, 08:49 PM

Hey, I found an unexpected gem ( in my own cook book collection The frugal gourmet on our immigrant ancestors. He apologizes for using lard (but he uses it and there are some very non-NT things, but also thing like lacto fermented moroccan lemon etc. Very easy to find for very cheap at many second hand book stores ( I have seen it a three so far)
http://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Gourmet...e=UTF8&s=books

Another nice one I found is cook like a peasant, eat like a king...http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Like-Peas...e=UTF8&s=books

Tanya
#29 of 95 Old 11-29-2006, 11:15 PM

Reading and loving Full Moon Feast! Thanks for all these other great links to continue on!
#30 of 95 Old 12-16-2006, 10:00 PM

Anyone have the new 75th anniversary edition of the Joy of Cooking?
Quote:
In addition to hundreds of brand-new recipes, this Joy is filled with many recipes from all previous editions, retested and reinvented for today's tastes.
Wonder what that means exactly....

If I were to buy this book, which edition would you recommend?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page