OT~I had food poisoning, what is the best way to heal - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 07-12-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is kind of OT for this board, but I thought all of you knowledgable mamas could help best with this.

Recently I picked up some sort of food poisoning. I never found out exactly what it was, all the docs could suggest was some sort of very bad intestinal bacteria. I was passing nothing but dark red blood every 15-45 minutes, for a total of 2-3 days. I also started vomiting, and became dehydrated. I was on vacation in California, staying in a hotel at Disneyland when the it came on. The doctor that came to my hotel room was only able to help me by giving me antibiotics, and a bunch of anti-spasmtic pills that didn't do squat for the pain. Unfortunalty, out of despiration, I ended up taking the antibiotics for a few days, hoping to kill whatever was causing the horrible stomach pains. I think I took 2 a day for 4 days, and it was called Cipro.

So, now I am really worried about the damage to my gut. It has not been in the best of shape throughout my lifetime, as I am prone to yeast infections, and was on antibiotics all of the time as a child for tons of ear infections, and strep throat. How bad do you think it could be? On top of the antibiotics I took, my diet that week was just awful, and I lost like 10 lbs from not eating for 4 days. It was so hard recovering from an illness at someone elses house, having to eat whatever they serve, knowing how what I was eating probably just added to all of the problems.

What do you all recommend for healing? I am taking probiotics, eating homemade raw milk yogurt, trying to eat hm stock everyday, and taking my high vit. CLO. Is there anything else you can think of? Anyone ever have anything like this happen to them before. What did you do?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 PM

Supplementing with vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) should help strengthen your immune system. You could try taking a set amount every day (like several grams), and gradually decreasing until you get to a maintenance dose. Or you could dose to bowel tolerance (1 gram per hour until you get diarrhea, then back off the dose)--that's what's recommended when you're sick, and it would give you some idea of how much vitamin C your body needs right now.

The only other thing I would suggest is more lacto-fermented foods if possible (sauerkraut, ginger carrots, homemade pickles, etc)--otherwise what you're doing sounds really good.
#3 of 8 Old 07-12-2006, 03:38 PM

LOTS of probiotics, like handfuls if you are taking pills. Which one are you taking? Are you making 24 hr. yogurt, that is the strongest.

How are your symptoms now?

That really makes me mad that they gave you Cipro without testing what it actually was. What if it was a virus... or a parasite?

Cipro messed me up bad, real bad. It is the one of the highest strength abx that exists. I'm just now recovered after about 4 years of gut imbalance exacerbated by it. I had to do diet, digestive enzymes and lots of probiotic foods.

#4 of 8 Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

The probiotics are Jarro-Dophilus+FOS. Under that it says, high potency 6 species, 3.4 billion. Are these ok? Should I get something stronger?

I usually just make 12hr yogurt, but this time I left it in for 18hrs. I will bump the next batch up to 24. Thanks for the tip!

I have recovered from the illness. I am just worried about the abx, b/c taking them comes with a price, KWIM? My bowels are back to normal, the only problem I am having is with my breasts. I think I have thrush again on one of my nipples. I battled with it when dd was younger, but after 2 rounds of G.V, and GSE, it went away. If the abx messed me up really bad, would I be showing more signs of it?

I am so mad at the care I recieved! It was just plain ridiculous. It was late, and I didn't want to leave dd with BIL and SIL(they are strangers to her), so instead of going to the e-room, we called a special doc who makes hotel calls.
He is the one who gave me the Cipro, and said that if it didn't start to get better by tomorrow, than I should go get a stool culture done at the hospital. As for what was causing the symptoms, he said it could be dysentery(sp?).

Well the next day, I was starting to throw up, and became really dehytrated, so DH took me to the emergency room. That was even more of a joke! They took my blood, and did a stool card(something like that). They said that there was no blood and actually argued with me over what I was passing out of my own body! Finally the nurse told me to give them a stool sample. I had to beg them to give me something for the pain, and they didn't even let me finish my second IV b/c it was going "too slow". The doc came in to talk to me, saying there was nothing they could do to help, and even if I had blood in my stool, they were still going to send me home. I told him once again it was ALL blood, and asked if he had the results of the sample I gave the nurse. At this, he replied that he didn't know that I had given them a sample, and left to go speak with the nurse! Then they basically kicked me out, without even waiting for the lab results! I was so pissed off, and even more so now that I just recieved a bill for $4,000 from the hospital for the "care" I was given.

What really puts the icing on the cake is the fact that dh came down with it when we were back at his brother's house, and ended up going to a different emergency room. Our experiences were like night and day. They gave him pain killers, hydrated him, and wouldn't let him leave until the pain was gone. He was ok after the pain killers, and didn't even need to take the abx they prescribed. They told him he picked up some sort of really bad intestinal bacteria that was cutting in to the intestines, and causing the extreme lower abdominal pain, and blood.

Anyway, I think I just wrote a freakin novel. It felt good to vent for a moment : . Thanks again everyone for any help!

Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#5 of 8 Old 07-13-2006, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Kayla
I I think I took 2 a day for 4 days, and it was called Cipro.

I read about Cipro awhile back and have since added it to my list of stuff not to take:
The True Story of Cipro
http://www.westonaprice.org/healthissues/cipro.html

Not trying to scare you or anything with the above, just an FYI for the future. It's terrible that they didn't even end up doing anything to make you feel more comfortable.

I've had great success with kefir in healing my gut so I would recommend kefir. I found kefir after I developed terrible allergies that I self-diagnosed as related to anti-inflammatories and antibiotics that I had been prescribed the two years prior. I couldn't tolerate yogurt and probiotics were not really doing anything to heal me, but the kefir actually healed me a lot over the course of a couple of months. I previously had a milk allergy and now I'm able to eat raw milk cheese and even pasteurized butters and creams without trouble.
#6 of 8 Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

These symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Why?
Ciprofloxacin administration always results in elevated serum fluoride levels

Well, I guess that is why I started throwing up after taking the cipro. I noticed it was making me nausous

People receiving Cipro or any other fluoroquinolone are warned on the product inserts not to expose themselves to direct sunlight

And this is probably why I got really burnt at the beach a few days later :

Thank you for posting this info. Never again will I take this crap! I just hope dd wasn't exposed too much. She is still nursing, but when I was sick, my supply took a big hit. I don't think she was getting a whole lot of milk until I started to get better and droped the cipro.

Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#7 of 8 Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM

What a horrible experience!

Re: Jarrow being "strong enough"
It's a reputable brand. However, I tend to be wary of FOS myself. I also had a good amount of healing with kefir (from raw milk) but needed to do diet and enzymes to finally succeed.

Re: Thrush
Candex really helped me. There is also Candidase which would treat both yeast and bad bacteria too.
#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I can't give any additional advice on healing, but I can on prevention/quick treatment.

I amvery prone to food poisoning, and have needed IV fluids for hydration several times. One time, I got it so badly, and was denied proper treatment at a hospital, that I wound up dehydrated enough to develop pancreatitis.

However, I have since discovered grapefruitseed extract. I recommend pills rather than liquid because it is amzaingly bitter. If you eat anything questionable, or start feeling the beginnings of food poisoning, pop 3 of them. If you still feel sick a few hours later, take more. It helps you get over things much more quickly than anything else I've tried because it just wipes out all the nasty bacteria. As a bonus, it kills yeast, too. The earlier you catch it, though, the better it works.

A few days ago I exercised very poor judgement and ate some sushi that had been out for 6 hours. Some tasted bad enough that I spit it out and realized how stupid I was being. I took some grapefruitseed extract, then again a couple hours later, and didn't even get a teeny bit sick.

I also recommend always taking some with you during travel, just in case.

Mom,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, to DS(10),

, due November 3, 2014, and 4
's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page