Do you brush your NT baby's teeth? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 07-12-2006, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is getting in teeth #'s 5 and 6. I read in The Baby Book that once tooth #5 is reached, we should start brushing. Aside from the fact that that would be darn near impossible with a grabby baby, I'm not sure I need to. His diet is NT and he's not on any grains yet. Is it really necessary to brush his teeth already?

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM

My 15 month old has 8 teeth. I brush her teeth with a teeny bit of whatever non-flouride toothpaste the market has on sale that week. I only do this occassionally, like maybe 3-4 times a week. Other than that, I brush her teeth with just a toothbrush dipped in water daily. I hope this is good enough.
#3 of 9 Old 07-12-2006, 02:17 PM

There are some great natural fluoride free toothpastes out there for kids. We used to use Toms of Maine without fluoride on rare occasion, but then at a year old dd fell and chipped off the front surface of one of her top front teeth. Her tooth became decayed even with an awesome diet because there was no enamel protecting it, so we now use a xylitol toothpaste. Spry is the brand we use, and it is kid safe and tastes pretty good too. My dd loves brushing and flossing her teeth anyway, but I won't worry about brushing ds's teeth until I think it seems necessary (he obviously doesn't have any yet )

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#4 of 9 Old 07-12-2006, 03:31 PM

We brush 2x per day and try to floss once daily (but forget lots), but I don't think it's as important as a good diet...it's more of an *insurance* when we eat junk food. We have healthy teeth, so obviously it's not hurting, right? Brushing is too engrained in my psyche and daily routine. I don't think we'll ever forgo it.
#5 of 9 Old 07-12-2006, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

At this point I think ds would be more interested in eating the toothpaste and toothbrush. I know that a good diet is his best dental protection, but it is drilled into us at an early age that brushing is the only thing that will prevent cavities. I'll try out one of the suggested toothpastes and see how it goes...

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#6 of 9 Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 PM

We were absolutely terrible about this and are still not very good. I don't recommend it, but sometimes it's just tough with some babies.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#7 of 9 Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 PM

I think you're asking whether or not babies who don't eat grains and processed food need to be protected from tooth decay. Although the people WAP studied didn't have tooth decay, they often had very discolored teeth with a natural slime on the them. Although this is probably a natural protectant for teeth, you may not want your child to feel like his/her teeth are so very different from most other people's teeth (especially with our white teeth obsessed culture). I just let ds play with a toothbrush a few times a day, he is usually very happy to chew on it for several minutes (he is 15 months and has been enjoying the toothbrush since he first started teething at 7 mo). I just dip it in water and he thinks it is fun. He likes an adult sized brush better than a baby one. I also sit him on the counter while I brush, so he is very interested in the process.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#8 of 9 Old 07-13-2006, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, sweetiemom, that is what I meant. I recall reading in NAPD that people who didn't brush had a slime on their teeth...ds probably wouldn't be cool with that! I plan on having him brush when he can somewhat understand what to do, but I was wondering if it was really important to start doing it now. I will have faith that since all his foods are top-notch, they will be naturally resistant to decay for a little while.

#9 of 9 Old 07-13-2006, 01:46 AM

umm...not as much as we probably should..we have been blessed though and have experienced no caveties..my oldest is almost 7 and has only been to the dentist once, last Oct and he had only one small spot they wanted to watch...

I don't recommend it but I think a lot if it has to do with genetics...
my sis brushes all the time and has a fairly good diet..she constantly has problems with her teeth..i however..don't brush as much as she and I don't typically have as many issues...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page