NT Meal planning thread? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 07-12-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there have been threads like this before, just curious if anyone is interested in starting one up again since we have our own forum now. I'm trying very hard to plan out meals, snacks, etc in advance because with our current needs (NT, gluten-free, dairy-free, trying to limit all grains) its really a challenge. I'd love to hear about what is on your menu for the week!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-13-2006, 01:50 AM

bump
#3 of 10 Old 07-13-2006, 02:04 AM

I would most certainly be interested in a meal planning thread. I am in a similar situation as you in that I am trying to accomodate food allergies and Celiac disease while maintaining a healthy, NT diet for my family. I'm also personally attempting to avoid all grains, which is really proving difficult. I could certainly use some fresh ideas!

I just made gluten-free no-bake cookies NT style. I soaked the oats prior to using them, reduced the milk to make up for the added moisture in the oats, used Rapadura in place of the sugar, added ground flax seeds, used homemade crispy nut peanut butter, etc. If they turn out, I can post the recipe. They're setting up in the fridge at the moment.

I have adapated several of our family favorite recipes to fit under the NT umbrella. So on the menu for the remainder of this week, we have chicken salad (homemade NT mayo, crispy nuts, grapes), swiss chard crustless quiche (using CSA offerings), Thai chicken curry with hot & spicy soup and a cucumber salad, liver dumplings and green salad with oranges, mahi mahi steaks with mango/peach chutney and another mystery side.

DD just owke up ...

#4 of 10 Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 AM

I need this too! We are sooo broke right now and I fear that we will fall into pasta for every meal again. I know when I plan that we can do NT on a budget. Soaking some black beans right now. I should get some oatmeal going too.
#5 of 10 Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
:

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#6 of 10 Old 07-13-2006, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajessica
I need this too! We are sooo broke right now and I fear that we will fall into pasta for every meal again. I know when I plan that we can do NT on a budget. Soaking some black beans right now. I should get some oatmeal going too.
Hee hee, that sounds like our house! Only now we know dd isnt tolerating gluten, so it would be rice pasta We are running low on cash right now, so that was another of my reasons for starting this thread. I figure if I plan it all out I can save money, have things ready so we arent scrounging for something to eat at mealtimes etc.

So I will list out what we have planned for today and tommorrow, as I havent gotten past that point yet. I am testing out some raw jersey milk to see how the kids deal with it in my milk, and if DH & I can deal with it in small amounts.

Thursday-
B- scrambled spinach eggs, soaked oatmeal (with raw cream for me, coconut milk for dd) & fruit
L- leftover homemade chili & veggies dipped in guacomole
D-black beans, turkey kielbasa (organic, from pastured turkeys) & stir fried greens, and a small amount of soaked brown rice

Friday-
B-Hardboiled eggs, fruit
L-leftovers from dinner
D-basil chicken, baked red potatoes, broccoli (with raw butter for dh and myself)

Im in the process of making crispy nuts, soaking black beans, soaking rice, and getting ready to make some raw butter in my vitamix. I need to get out some meat from the freezer and plan out meals until Tuesday (CSA day). Ugh, I better go, my 2 year old is rubbing my Toms of Maine deodorant all over her face

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#7 of 10 Old 07-14-2006, 02:42 AM

ya'all are so good...

I need to try harder to eat NT when we are low on budget..instead we just eat what we can eat....grrr
#8 of 10 Old 07-14-2006, 02:54 AM

kdmama, how'd those cookies turn out??? We're in a similar boat - two of us with gluten sensitivities, trying to cut way down on grains as a whole. Unfortunately, dh is a junk food junkie :, and he leads my older daughter down a very bad path So, I'm battling that, as well.
#9 of 10 Old 07-14-2006, 03:15 AM

Subbing..... Interested too!!
#10 of 10 Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
Subbing..... Interested too!!