Do any of you combine your clo with butter oil? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 07-13-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you do it, how do you store it? Can I do the same thing but subsitute ghee? Does it become a solid when refrigerated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-13-2006, 09:42 PM

Yes butter oil becomes a solid when refrigerated.

You can use ghee, Purity Farms brand is grass fed. Or grassfed butter or cream. But you would need more of them to equal the X Factor that is specially concentrated in butter oil.

Quote:
Whenever taking cod liver oil, remember the findings of Dr. Price. He noted that he did not get good results from cod liver oil unless he gave it concurrently with high-vitamin butter. Just why this is so is a matter of speculation, but we do know that the very unsaturated fatty acids found in cod liver oil cannot be effectively assimilated and stored in the tissues without the presence of adequate saturated fatty acids, the kind that would be provided by butter. This means that even regular butter would help support cod liver oil therapy; but Price found that the combination of cod liver oil with high-vitamin butter, from cows eating rapidly growing green grass, was nothing short of miraculous, reversing tooth decay and bringing patients back from the brink of death.
#3 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 AM

I do mix them. It's just like mixing butter and olive oil. The butter oil alone became so hard, I had trouble scraping it out and measuring it. (And at $55 a bottle, damned straight I'm gonna measure it! ) Adding the CLO, which remains fluid at refrigerator temp, the resulting blend does solidify somewhat but remains much softer. It is easy to measure, just like soft butter; you could spread it on a cracker or something to eat it. Or, it melts very quickly at room temperature so you can measure it as a liquid. That's what I do for my girls. I mix 2 tablespoons of each oil in a little jar and keep it in the fridge. In the morning, I bring it out and put it on the counter while I'm preparing breakfast. In ten or fifteen minutes, it's liquid and I can measure out their portions. Or, if I'm in a hurry, I can put the jar in a cup of lukewarm water and have melted oil in a minute or two. Since Anika gets 1/2 teaspoon of that blend daily, and Talia gets 1 teaspoon of it, I have to make up a new jar about weekly. I could mix a much larger portion, of course, and only do it once in a great while; but, having a small volume allows it to melt more quickly at room temperature.

#4 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 AM

Jane, any idea what the conversion factor would be between butter oil, ghee and whole butter? Like, if I'm giving 1/2 tsp of butter oil to my little one, how much whole butter would I give her instead? I have ready access to good, grass-fed cream and frequently make butter (or buy butter from the same farmers.)
#5 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 02:37 AM

I just posted something on the conversion factor in the "curing cavities with nutrition" thread... please check my math but I think it is 4 tsp butter = 1/2 tsp butter oil
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=191
#6 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 02:52 AM

hm... ok, the one thing I notice, you said that 64 ounces of milk makes 32 ounces of butter; in my butter-making experience, I get about 1 ounce of butter per two ounces of *cream*, not milk; it would be about 1 ounce of butter to about 8 ounces of milk. Are your calculations predicated on the volume of milk?

If you're right, though, it certainly makes it way cheaper to buy butter - I get that for $8/pound. That makes the butter 58% of the price of an equivalent amount of butter oil. Of course, the butter is highest in the important factors in the spring and early summer. I could freeze some at this time of year. Not gonna happen this year - we might be moving, and I really don't want my freezer stocked with tons of valuable food that would just get wasted.
#7 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ok since I get so confused with math, :
Does anyone know about how much ghee would I mix with how much CLO? and then how much of that mixture would I take to make a dose?
#8 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson
hm... ok, the one thing I notice, you said that 64 ounces of milk makes 32 ounces of butter; in my butter-making experience, I get about 1 ounce of butter per two ounces of *cream*, not milk; it would be about 1 ounce of butter to about 8 ounces of milk. Are your calculations predicated on the volume of milk?
You're right, that was a typo -- I meant *cream*, not milk. I've fixed it now... the answer is the same, though.
#9 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea
Ok since I get so confused with math, :
Does anyone know about how much ghee would I mix with how much CLO? and then how much of that mixture would I take to make a dose?
I guess the question is whether ghee is equivalent to the same amount of butter? I don't know the answer to that!
#10 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi
I just posted something on the conversion factor in the "curing cavities with nutrition" thread... please check my math but I think it is 4 tsp butter = 1/2 tsp butter oil
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=191
No, b/c I'm still not sure 1.33 oz cream equals a dose of BO either. :
#11 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi
I guess the question is whether ghee is equivalent to the same amount of butter? I don't know the answer to that!
No, it's more concentrated oil with the proteins solids drained out. But I know that still does not answer the question...
#12 of 12 Old 07-14-2006, 12:17 PM

Tara's method of melting and then putting back in the fridge probably works b/c she uses a small amount she takes out of the jar. But it warns against doing this with whole jar b/c it causes the butter to mold (melting then refrigerating collects water).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page