Mothering Forum banner

Can I put a freezer in the bedroom closet?

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tboroson 
#1 ·
That is, after I clean out all the junk in there

I really want more freezer space for grassfed meats and things like that... but we live in a teeny urban apartment and there is really no place to put a freezer... except maybe in the closet.

Is this a bad idea?
Does a freezer need much airspace around it?
Would it leak or perspire?
Anyone done this before?

See less See more
#3 ·
Unless the manufacturer says otherwise, I think it should be okay. Maybe you can look up some of the freezer manuals online before purchasing? Usually product specs will say if something needs to "breath". Fridges are sometimes put into little cut-out wall spaces people build for them, so I would imagine the freezer should be fine.

#4 ·
I seem to remember a dorm fridge in my dorm room closet too.

Definitely look at the instructions before buying. Most need to breath but most don't need to breath all that much. I'd be more concerned if you were building a tight cabinet around it.

#5 ·
If you'd be closing the door on it, I'd contact the manufacturer. The size of the compressor on a freezer is far different than a little dorm fridge. If you're taking the door off it's hinges, I wouldn't worry about it - lots of people put refrigerators and upright freezers into mostly-enclosed cubbies. Just make sure there's some airspace, especially at the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.