Mothering Forum banner

My chicken soup sucks....help! It's for dinner tonight! -updated

845 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Ruthla 
#1 ·
I made bone broth from last night's chicken planning a chicken and rice soup. It's all in the crock pot simmering now. I tasted it and YUCK. It tastes soooo bland. Yuck.
: It doesn't even taste "chickeny". Maybe it's because I added rice. But I cooked it before so I didn't think it would absorb too much. I don't know what to do. It's for dinner TONIGHT! I'd like to save it somehow before dh catches wind that he's going to eat poo
help?

See less See more
#3 ·
I have those cubes too, but I didn't figure it was very "NT" to use them. Any other ideas before I throw them in out of desperation?

#8 ·
Its probably too late, but I would try adding salt. The NT broth recipes do not call for it, and you need to add it when you make soup. Both rice and broth are very neutral flavors and they need the spicing up that salt gives.
You also could carmalize some onions and garlic on a sauce pan and add it to the soup for extra flavor. yum!

#10 ·
I found my chicken stock from roasted carcasses was very... vegetable-stock-tasting, even though it gelled nicely. I started buying chicken feet and backs from my chicken farmer, and throwing a few of those in with each batch and it made a *huge* difference. Now it's very chicken-y, and gels as densely as finger jello.

Hmmm... I wonder if I could use it to make NT jello shots...

#11 ·
turned out wonderfully....after I added boullion cubes from Aldi that I had in the cupboard
: I didn't read about the salt and onions until too late. Oops. Can't believe I am that dense. You'd think I'd never cooked in my life
How could I NOT think of salt and onions on my own....
Thanks everyone. Next time.....

#12 ·
OK, so you used boullion cubes this time, but the rest of the meal was healthy and pretty "NT." Next time you'll use other seasonings and you probably won't find the need to buy more boullion cubes when you use up what you've already got in the house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.