Mothering Forum banner

how long does bone broth keep in the fridge?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ~Shanna~ 
#1 ·
I know I've seen several different answers to this question--I seem to recall something about it keeping indefinitely if the fat plug is still on the top, and also something about being able to re-boil it every so often to keep it good. I usually made stock about every two weeks and just keep it in the fridge until it's gone. Is this bad?

#3 ·
I'm a health inspector by day, so I consider myself an expert
I kept my bone broth as long as 2 weeks (mostly because that's how long it takes me to go through a stock pot full), and was always just really careful to boil it before eating it. If it sounds strange, keep in mind that food laws for restaurants don't have any rules about how long they can keep foods that get cooked - it's thought to be more of a quality issue, that it will spoil before it becomes unsafe to eat. By the law's rationale, you could use that bone broth until it started to smell funny or grow mold
:

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn
How're you doing, Shanna? I've been wondering about you since I haven't seen you on the "Healing the Gut Tribe" thread...are you still doing the SCD?
Yes, though introducing new foods is going so much slower than I would like. Every time I get excited that I'm on a smooth road to introducing new foods, I get a mysterious relapse and have to backtrack.....it's maddening. But I'm healthy and happy, and that fitday.com site that someone recommended has really put my mind at ease that my nutrition is really top-notch. How are you holding up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.