raw grass-fed milk = different taste? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-06-2006, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my first raw milk from grass-fed cows the other day, and I can't quite get over the different taste it has - more animal-like if that even makes sense lol I thought it would taste a lot like the Stoneyfield farm milk (since those cows are grass-fed), but it doesn't. I wonder if it's also because it's a different breed of cow? I'm not sure that it is, I'm just hypothesizing. My milk came from an Amish farm in Pennsylvania.
#2 of 9 Old 08-06-2006, 11:50 AM

There was a recent thread in which several people said that their raw, grass-fed milk tasted the same as the pastuerized, homogenized stuff that they used to buy. However, that has NEVER been the case for me, and I've purchased milk from two different farmers. Each of them milk a single jersey cow, and both cows are entirely grass-fed. I think the milk tastes awful. Very gamey. And I grew up on a dairy farm and drank a lot of milk straight from the cow, so I know it's not just me. (Those cows were holsteins and brown swiss, though, which could make some difference. And it was in a different part of the country, so their diet was different, I'm sure.)

I'm about to try Organic Pastures for the first time. (My co-op order should be here early this week, and I ordered two gallons.) I'm hoping that the milk will taste better, since it comes from a mix of different cow breeds. We'll see.
#3 of 9 Old 08-06-2006, 12:01 PM

The raw pastured milk I drink tastes different from itself week to week. Depnds on what type of wildflowers and stuff they've gotten a hold of. Also, I swear the AM & PM milkings have different percentages of fat.

Anyway, sometimes it tastes "grassy" but never "gamey." I know that w/ goats that gamey milk is a result of having bucks around. Not sure if that is an issue with cows.
Not sure the breed. Somehing heritage I think maybe Devon.
Before I got that and was drinking the Organic Valley, the only kind they sell here is the ultra-pasteurized, so it always had a certain cooked taste.
#4 of 9 Old 08-06-2006, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice
The raw pastured milk I drink tastes different from itself week to week. Depnds on what type of wildflowers and stuff they've gotten a hold of. Also, I swear the AM & PM milkings have different percentages of fat.

Anyway, sometimes it tastes "grassy" but never "gamey." I know that w/ goats that gamey milk is a result of having bucks around. Not sure if that is an issue with cows.
Not sure the breed. Somehing heritage I think maybe Devon.
Before I got that and was drinking the Organic Valley, the only kind they sell here is the ultra-pasteurized, so it always had a certain cooked taste.
:
It tastes different in different seasons, from weeds and grasses, as well as different from pasture to pasture. It has never tasted "gamey" to me though.
#5 of 9 Old 08-06-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33
There was a recent thread in which several people said that their raw, grass-fed milk tasted the same as the pastuerized, homogenized stuff that they used to buy. However, that has NEVER been the case for me, and I've purchased milk from two different farmers. Each of them milk a single jersey cow, and both cows are entirely grass-fed. I think the milk tastes awful. Very gamey. And I grew up on a dairy farm and drank a lot of milk straight from the cow, so I know it's not just me. (Those cows were holsteins and brown swiss, though, which could make some difference.)
Yes - gamey would be a good description of the milk, the cream, the butter - soemthing about the smell too... Fortunately my kids don't seem to notice/care!
#6 of 9 Old 08-06-2006, 07:46 PM

that's interesting. the raw milk we get (both cow's and goat's) doesn't taste wild or gamey at all. in fact, it's the creamiest, most mild, and refreshing milk we've ever tasted.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 08-06-2006, 10:04 PM

Kirsten,

I think it also depends on how cold it is kept too. If it warms up a bit during transport it can start to sour. Make sure you put on ice when you pick up.

I do find that different farms do taste different. But generally the taste to me was richer and creamier.

Our goat's milk tastes like basil this week!
#8 of 9 Old 08-06-2006, 11:49 PM

Cows should be pulled into a corral an hour before milking to help the milk clear itself of some of the flavors. Especially true when they eat wild onions. :

Feeding cows alfalfa makes for wonderful sweet milk.
#9 of 9 Old 08-07-2006, 10:45 AM

It can also depend on the breed of cow. I buy Jersey cow milk from Amish farmers here in PA, and it tastes *way* different than any Holstein milk I've ever tasted. I'm sure the lack of pasteurization/homogenization contributes to that, but I think the higher fat content is the real key.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page