Is there an Eat Fat Lose Fat tribe around here? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 08-23-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not counting calories because I'm nursing. Not to mention, it's hard enough for me to eat at regular times, much less count calories too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 54 Old 08-23-2006, 05:02 PM

I'm nursing also, so I'm not counting. I'm still eating basically the same as before (had already incorporated things like only using coconut oil, eating real butter, raw milk, and real cream ...), but have added the extra things like kombucha (can you say addicted?!), and trying to take in an extra T or two of coconut oil each day. I have my first batch of kombucha in my pantry ... it looks like it's actually growing something (good ) in it. I need to take out the beet kvass and refridgerate it, and then get brave enough to drink some.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#33 of 54 Old 08-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selu
Can someone with the book refresh me as to when Sally & Mary suggest taking CLO and Butter oil?
1 tsp. of high vitamin CLO before breakfast. I don't recall seeing much about butter oil in the book. I'll check for you.

My question is about portion. I don't see any information in the book as to how much of something I should have.

I bought the book a few weeks ago and will be fully ready to try the plan in a few days.
#34 of 54 Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 PM

bumping back to the front page

#35 of 54 Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 PM

How is everyone doing?

I started today, after experimenting with CO in water and CLO for a few weeks.

My question is about portion. For instance, I had some raw cheese for lunch today with crackers, but I didn't know how much to have.
#36 of 54 Old 09-02-2006, 10:10 PM

We are doing good but I need to put a sign on the fridge that reads:

Have you had at least 3 T of coconut oil today? Your cod liver oil? Your magnesuim? ...

It seems if I'm good about remembering one, I forget the others. I'm not doing the weight loss portion (though I'm losing pregnancy weight!), so I don't mess with portions. I eat until I'm full, which is usually a little more than my fist.

#37 of 54 Old 09-03-2006, 12:54 AM

O.K. I've been intrigued by this book, but haven't found it at a local library yet. I need to lose a few pounds that I've added in the past year since eating NT. I can't blame NT since I tend to eat 1/2 block of raw pastured jalapeno cheese per day that comes from a local farmer and blueberries with a cup of raw cream every night. All raw and wonderful, but a bit much when you're only 5 ft. I never eat carbs except fruit.
I restocked on my Tropical Traditions CO. Why do you have to put the CO in hot water or tea? Why can't you just take it off the spoon.

Thanks,
#38 of 54 Old 09-03-2006, 01:02 AM

I would assume that you could take it straight..but most people wouldn't like it that way...lol
#39 of 54 Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 AM

I actually prefer mine straight off the spoon ... I couldn't get with drinking it straight. Then again, I like the CLO straight off the spoon too instead of trying to hide it ... I think I'm weird like that! She doesn't give a reason that I found as to why you need to make an infussion with it.

#40 of 54 Old 09-03-2006, 02:54 PM

Thank you Cogirlblue and MLW:. I just hated heating the TTEVCO and losing any of its beneficial properties. BTW CO is the only thing I consume that makes me want to hurl. I have to chase it immediately with straight kefir or 24 hour yoghurt to kill the tase. I love any other coconut product.
#41 of 54 Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 AM

I used to be able to eat CO off a spoon, but when I tried to eat it the other day because I want to lose the rest of my baby weight, it made me feel really ill. I tried it in hot water... ACK! So I tried mixing it with some raw cocoa powder and stevia and freezing it to make chocolate... but that made me feel ill, too. I was queasy all night, and now even thinking about CO makes me want to hurl. So my question is... can I eat coconut cream to get the same amount of coconut oil? It does have a few carbs, but not much. I can get Natural Value brand coconut milk at my HFS, and it doesn't have emulsifiers, so the cream separates. I can eat that till the cows come home, and it has 63 g of fat a can, and a tablespoon of oil is only 13 g fat, so... wouldn't it be pretty much the same thing to eat several tablespoons of cream to get one tablespoon of oil? I like to blend it with a few strawberries and a few drops of stevia extract to make it more enjoyable, but I can eat it straight if it's better. Is this an okay way to get the CO before meals in EFLF?
#42 of 54 Old 09-04-2006, 01:05 AM

(Ugh, click the wrong button and *poof!*)

kbchavez: I thought I read somewhere in EFLF that some people will react negatively when they first started taking big amounts of coconut oil, and if that was the case to start with very small amounts and build up to the tablespoon (or more) before each meal. If I can find it, I'll post it. Until then, what about hiding the oil in some of the coconut milk? (And your milk sounds amazingly good - ours doesn't separate, but I can get it at our local HFS, so I compromise.) Also, if you make a smoothie in the morning, you can hide 1 tablespoon in there too.

Has anyone else noticed significant changes in your food cravings? After only 2 weeks (give or take) of making sure I am getting coconut oil or coconut milk throughout the day, I no longer crave carbs! I had been a major carb junkie and loved crackers and cookies and breads. No more! Well, I do still have some sourdough bread for sandwiches at lunch, and bought some amazing (my word for the night ) garlic cheese bread at the farmer's market today, but I don't even feel like eating crackers or cookies anymore. Instead I'd rather have a raw milk tonic or coconut milk tonic when I'm feeling hungry. I also have had a cold the last few days, and have been *craving* beyond belief sweet onions, and red & yellow pepper saute'd in coconut oil. The other thing I've noticed is that my taste buds, so to speak, actually want to eat things that I would not have liked before, like raw peppers and the such. It's like a light bulb went off inside my mouth or something, and suddenly it's the healthy stuff that my body is desiring. It's so cool!

I told my best friend that I no longer liked to drink Starbucks frap's and she looked crushed (we used to get Starbucks or the like for each other as a treat when we'd get together with the kids). It was like I had crossed over to the dark side, but I really don't even desire them anymore. The only "vice" I still crave is ice cream. We want to start buying raw cream to make our own, but need to do that only on special occassions because raw cream here is quite expensive. So, I allow myself an occassional store-bought ice cream. I'm thinking our HFS sells Julie's (isn't the the name of the organic ice creams?); that's what I need to buy.

#43 of 54 Old 10-11-2006, 06:42 PM

Anyone nursing and doing this? I posted earlier in the thread when I was still pg but now that I'm not I'm thinking of really starting more.

I need to get some menu plans together because that makes the biggest difference for what I eat.

Deb
#44 of 54 Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 PM

Congratulations on your new dd!

I am nursing two and doing EFLF, though not to the letter. But it is helping me feel satisfied with what I eat, has helped me dramatically reduce my snacking (typically crackers or something carb-y which I rarely do now), has made me intolerant of much sugar (a good thing), and has me continuing to lose weight!

#45 of 54 Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 PM

man...I need to try this again...I have put on 13lbs since Feb, and weaned dd in March..so think there may be a small connection there...anyhoo..it sucks as I am rapidly approaching my full term weight, and am not preg. I never thought this would happen to me. Dh keeps talking about a low fat diet...and I get really irked at him...We just don't get enough veggies...
#46 of 54 Old 10-13-2006, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel723 View Post
So I've cut out most carbs (just oatmeal in the AM and lots of veggies, some fruit) and eating a bunch more fat than usual-butter, co, whole milk (from 2%: ); I've noticed that when I get hungry I don't feel hungry, I just go from feeling good to feeling way hypoglycemic-headache, nauseous, weak-but not shaky like I usually get. No growling stomach, none of that. It's like someone just flipped a switch from good to bleh-no-I-don't-want-to-eat-I-just-want-to-lay-her-and-die. I should have tested my blood sugar to see what it said just for kicks but I didn't...

(I'm not diabetic but have several family members who are, so they gave me their old tester to play with.... Mostly bc I was concerned about GD w/ gaining so much weight on food that didn't justify it....)

Is that typical of what you guys experience too or am I just weird?
I've been doing NT for about 2 years, and I got EFLF when it came out, but it wasn't until I went low-carb last December that I not only lost weight, but eliminated my sugar, starch, and chocolate cravings. My hypoglycemia is practically gone, too. Of course, it took months for me to get to this point, but I am so glad I stuck it out. Before I had trouble with wheat, but I've been cautiously adding small amounts of "good" wheat back, and so far it seems to not affect me badly.

In addition, I now have practically zero PMS symptoms. All of a sudden, I feel a small gush and there's my period! This is so weird, but much appreciated.

#47 of 54 Old 10-20-2006, 06:00 PM

I too have gotten the book at the library. I just got my first order of raw milke, and am making the changes in my diet, etc. I also started taking the CO (I am on my 3rd day) but I find that I am not even hungry after taking it. I force myself to eat something but I can barely choke it down. I am just worried I am not eating enough to help with weightloss. Anyone else having the same experience?
#48 of 54 Old 10-22-2006, 11:43 PM

I'm new to NT, but very excited about the nutritional information.

Have added coconut oil to my morning smoothies (which are made with bananas, organic full-fat yogurt, Dutch cocoa powder, and a little bit of honey to take the edge off) but since doing that I've noticed horrid heartburn -- y'know, that painful burning at the back of your throat that makes you afraid to cough cuz if you do it'll end up hurting a lot worse?

yeah, that.

Anyone else have that problem? Offer any solutions other than cutting back on the CO? Ideas?

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#49 of 54 Old 10-23-2006, 06:29 PM

I just reserved the book from the library. I started taking a tsp of CO today just straight out of the container. Its actually not too bad. Can anyone give me pointers as to how much I should be taking before I get the book? I was off bread/cereal/baked goods for a year and recently added those back in moderation. I gained 3-4 lbs in 3 weeks(when my weight has been really stable)! My allergies (sneezing) has gotten worse as well. So I'm going grainless for a week or so to see how I feel. I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds either.
#50 of 54 Old 10-23-2006, 06:31 PM

IIRC (my book is with my friend right now), it's about 3 tablespoons a day to about 6 a day, depending on how much weight you are wanting to lose. Someone who has the book handy, though, can correct me on that if I'm losing my mind.

#51 of 54 Old 10-23-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
IIRC (my book is with my friend right now), it's about 3 tablespoons a day to about 6 a day, depending on how much weight you are wanting to lose. Someone who has the book handy, though, can correct me on that if I'm losing my mind.
I'll start with 1T a meal then. I would love to lose 10lbs but would be happy with 5. Thank you!
#52 of 54 Old 10-25-2006, 12:21 PM

conteuse: I was reading in the book that your body may not have the bile to digest the fats therefore the heartburn. The book suggests to start with 1/2 tsp and build up to the 1 tbl or 2. Also it suggests taking bitters in morn and eve as that helps with the digestion of fats. hth.
#53 of 54 Old 10-25-2006, 02:37 PM

What EFLF recipes have you all had success with?

So far we've really liked:
coconut crackers
brazilian shrimp stew
basic oatmeal
crispy nuts
Spanish omelett (this was a big winner!)
cilantro salsa (awesome!)
#54 of 54 Old 10-25-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Anyone nursing and doing this? I posted earlier in the thread when I was still pg but now that I'm not I'm thinking of really starting more.
I am. Also not following it to the letter, but have incorporated many of the recipes and basic principles into our diet.

I really, really need to lose another 15 lbs. or so (I'm about to start teaching fitness classes, and who wants a fat cardio instructor?! ). I know she says not to do the weight loss part if you are nursing, but I've already lost 25 lbs. while nursing. I'm thinking that maybe if I just do the CO before 1-2 meals a day, instead of three, that way I lose weight more slowly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page