Is there an Eat Fat Lose Fat tribe around here? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Traditional Foods > Is there an Eat Fat Lose Fat tribe around here?
Persephone's Avatar Persephone 10:09 PM 08-07-2006
I got the book from the library, and I'm ready to try my hand at some coconut to lose some weight. It's nice there's a way to lose weight while still eating traditional foods. I'm nursing, so I can't do the whole thing, but I figured some coconut oil in my diet can only benefit dd. Is there anyone else out there trying to lose weight this way?

BTW, here is my history: I'm short- 5'2", and when I got pg, I was 165 and losing. I think my personal ideal weight is around 120. So, I had about another 40 to go. I gained 50 lbs during my pregnancy. 25 came off after the birth, but 25 are still here, and haven't budged, making me 190 lbs. This is not acceptable. I can't wait til dd is at least 2 (and weaned) for me to lose it! I've also started doing Pilates recently, and plan on adding in bellydancing to that this Fri. So, there's my history, anyone else?

tboroson's Avatar tboroson 10:30 PM 08-07-2006
I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the book right now. A friend has a copy to lend me, but I don't know when I'll see her...
dvons's Avatar dvons 12:38 AM 08-08-2006
I love the recipes in this book. Even my MIL got a copy after trying some just for the recipes. I've not been following it too closely being PG and all but since I am incorporating more and more NT type things in my diet every week it has been very useful for meal planning and such.

I'm planning on doing more actual weight loss with it though!

Deb
cobluegirl's Avatar cobluegirl 12:25 AM 08-09-2006
I have it and have tried it losely..I can't afford the oil right now..so am on hold..plus I seem to have put on weight...grrr...I have 40 to lose too..at least...
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 01:38 PM 08-09-2006
I'm loosely trying to follow the "health recovery" plan in that book. Right now my girls have started reading through it- I'm looking forward to them understanding where I'm coming from regarding nutrition and hopefully it will make both of them want to eat better.
Laurel723's Avatar Laurel723 01:47 PM 08-09-2006
:

How appropriate to this is the little lurker guy?

Subbing...I'm still pg for at least another 10 weeks or so (30 wks today! ) but by the time I get done, I'll have stacked on a good 60 pounds : I can't believe I actually used to have a waist...or a flat stomach...can't wait to see them again!

Trying to incorporate more and more NT stuff as I go along, but haven't bought the book yet...(EFLF, that is-I have NT)-maybe I'll get some spare cash here in a few weeks and can get it then..til then, if you don't mind, I'll listen in and ask a few (possibly dumb, since I haven't read it yet) questions...?
Thystle's Avatar Thystle 07:02 PM 08-09-2006
I loved the book too.

Tip for those who can't afford the CO right now... buy the canned coconut cream she talks about. You should be able to buy it between $0.75 and $3.00 a can (depending where you live).

That way you can at least make coconut rice (use brown rice) or a soup with it... which is pretty cheap and has some of the coconut benefits!
MyLittleWonders's Avatar MyLittleWonders 07:36 PM 08-09-2006
I haven't yet been able to get a copy (our library system doesn't carry it - need to check surrounding cities), and can't buy it yet ... but am fascinated by what little I've heard. Can someone explain the coconut oil to me. We love it around here - I put coconut oil or coconut cream in our smoothies each day, and we cook with coconut oil ... is there something else with the coconut oil that you are to do to help drop the weight? (I want to lose 15 or more to get back where I was before ds#1 and the darn scale has been stuck for the last 3 or 4 weeks.)
Persephone's Avatar Persephone 10:22 PM 08-09-2006
I haven't read the book from cover to cover, but here's what I think the most important points are: eat 3 meals a day, no snacks in between, and about 20 mins before each meal, take up to two tablespoons (the amount is based on weight, the more you weigh, the more you take) of coconut oil in some hot water or tea. The coconut oil is supposed to suppress your appetite, as well as giving you all the wonderful things coconut oil has to offer. It also is some extra fat/ calories to help you slow down your digestion and therefore slow down the sugar entering your bloodstream. I've got a baby scaling my legs, so that's all I can think of atm.
tboroson's Avatar tboroson 10:40 PM 08-09-2006
Ok, what's the deal with only eating three meals a day? I can't do that. I'll feel like I'll pass out after a couple hours. I have no problem making my meals smaller so I can space them out. And I understand that we shouldn't nibble *all* day, so our body has time to digest and relax. But, it seems like it's been proven time and again that our bodies deal better with smaller amounts of food more often, whether you're eating high fat, high carb, whatever.

I'm part way through the book, and trying to modify the menus to fit my needs - much lower on the grains, eating more frequently.
BookGoddess's Avatar BookGoddess 10:44 PM 08-09-2006
I'd be interested in such a tribe.

I managed to find a local store that carried NT and I'm loving the book. Can't wait to find EFLF book. I have about 25 pounds of baby fat to lose.
cobluegirl's Avatar cobluegirl 10:58 PM 08-09-2006
I think the thing with the three meals a day is that if you are taking the evco..you won't need to eat in between meals....giving your body more time to relax and know exactly when it is supposed to do what...you are supposed to eat relatively at the same time every day. I think...cant' remember..need to reread the book.
Persephone's Avatar Persephone 01:02 AM 08-10-2006
I don't recall too well, because I only eat two meals a day, a medium lunch and a HUGe dinner. Sometimes breakfast. And rarely snacks. But, I think like with most things, some people do better grazing, and some do better with actual meals. I personally do better with meals. Tailor the diet how you feel best. Her main point about the three meals is that it's essential to eat breakfast. Skipping breakfast does bad things to your metabolism and appetite. Breakfast, btw, can mean a smoothie, it doesn't have to be a big farmhouse breakfast.

I will look up the reasoning behind the three meals a day thing tomorrow, and post if anyone's interested.
MyLittleWonders's Avatar MyLittleWonders 03:17 AM 08-10-2006
Okay, I need to get the book, but I have another question. : If I'm already putting either evco or coconut cream (the real stuff that Tropical Traditions sells) in my breakfast smoothie, do I still need to do 1-2 T of evco 20 minutes before my smoothie? I don't really want to drink less of my smoothie in the morning as it has 1 1/2 cup serving of kefir in it, as well as my supplements and fruit. Would it be better to do the evco before lunch and dinner? And I'm there with the other grazers ... my blood sugar levels will crash if I only eat 3 times a day ... will this help with that? (I know, I need to get the book! )
Mommabelle's Avatar Mommabelle 01:32 PM 08-10-2006
I have NT and am trying some things..the trouble is I'm having a real crisis of not wanting to cook anything. I really hate it right now. I've been cooking for so many years at this point I just think I can't stand it. I don't know what I'm going to do about that. Trying to just eat cheeses and bread and yogurt for awhile. I think one thing is that it's a real effort to get good food. I wish I could just get it at the grocery around the corner like everyone else. Now my question with EFLF..has anyone successfully lost weight? And did you just follow it to a T? I need to lose 30lbs. I'm only 5'2" so looking a little too chubby for my likeing. I did just find out I had hypothroidism so hopefully a diet and exercise will take off the weight now that it's being controlled.
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 03:37 PM 08-10-2006
I found the coconut oil does help with low blood sugar. I went down to 3 meals and 1 snack a day instead of 3 meals and 3-4 snacks. Both my sister and I lost weight following it, though we didn't do it to a T. Mostly just added coconut oil, milk, etc to meals.
member's Avatar member 09:54 AM 08-14-2006
Bumping up.

I loaned my copy out and it never got it back... so I bought the new paperback version. I plan on doing the healing component of the program as soon as I get the book.
Persephone's Avatar Persephone 01:46 PM 08-14-2006
It says that breastfeeding moms can't do the weight loss portion, but at 2500 calories, I think it'll be safe. I have copied out some recipes to have when I have to take the book back to the library, got some coconut stuff, now I have to figure out regular times for meals, and stick to them! I'm not really going to count my calories too closely, if I'm hungry, I'm gonna eat, I think. So it might look like 3 meals plus a snack or two during the day, but because my hunger and thirst signals are all screwed up, I think keeping meals to regular times (especially breakfast, which I hardly ever eat) will really benefit me. I still need to get some CLO and butter oil, does anyone know if you can get butter oil at most health food stores? I want it faster than I can order it online!
member's Avatar member 02:55 PM 08-14-2006
Persephone,

I've always had to order my butter oil online. But a local place may stock it.

I am not much of a breakfast person these days but I did a yogurt smoothie with blueberries, coconut concentrate and some flax seed oil today and it was light enough to get down but very filling.
Laurel723's Avatar Laurel723 04:42 PM 08-14-2006
So I've cut out most carbs (just oatmeal in the AM and lots of veggies, some fruit) and eating a bunch more fat than usual-butter, co, whole milk (from 2%: ); I've noticed that when I get hungry I don't feel hungry, I just go from feeling good to feeling way hypoglycemic-headache, nauseous, weak-but not shaky like I usually get. No growling stomach, none of that. It's like someone just flipped a switch from good to bleh-no-I-don't-want-to-eat-I-just-want-to-lay-her-and-die. I should have tested my blood sugar to see what it said just for kicks but I didn't...

(I'm not diabetic but have several family members who are, so they gave me their old tester to play with.... Mostly bc I was concerned about GD w/ gaining so much weight on food that didn't justify it....)

Is that typical of what you guys experience too or am I just weird?
member's Avatar member 09:55 AM 08-15-2006
Laurel, that's exactly how it is for me. I went from constantly being hungry to not craving much of anything so I missed or did not have my normal hunger cues. I went many a week going 7-8 hours w/o a meal and then it was crash and burn. I've since started eating by the clock and that's really helped.

I am still waiting for my book. I don't think it will be here until the end of the week at least.
Laurel723's Avatar Laurel723 03:37 PM 08-16-2006
Just checking to see how everyone's doing?
Persephone's Avatar Persephone 03:52 PM 08-16-2006
I am having a VERY HARD time eating at any regular times! We wake up really late and stay up late, so I've decided to eat at 12, 4, and 8, and not restrict snacks. The only thing is, when and if I eat, it's not usually very much, but it's usually very fatty (like an egg or grilled cheese sandwich). I also have a really hard time getting enough vegetables in. You know, this is my issue, even when I"m not dieting.

To answer your question Laurel, no, I don't seem to have the crash issues you do, in fact, I almost NEVER feel hungry. Or I do, but I put it off, it goes away, and I forget about it.
member's Avatar member 04:26 PM 08-16-2006
I am not doing as well with timed eating as I'd like, but I think I will be better at it when I have a more standard schedule.

So far so good today. I am limiting sugar and I am not doing any grains except soaked oatmeal right now to see if that helps me get my gut issues under control.
MyLittleWonders's Avatar MyLittleWonders 11:25 PM 08-18-2006
I got my book a couple days ago and am in love! We are slowly getting into the Health Recovery diet as I'm tandem nursing and need sufficient calories! While I was waiting for the book, I started just having a couple tablespoons of EVCO before meals (one T per meal); we already have a good smoothie for breakfast (homemade kefir, coconut oil or cream, fruit, raw butter, flax seed oil). Since getting the book, we've incorporated Coconut milk tonic and Raw milk tonic into our "snack" times - both are quite yummy! And I think I can safely saw that the scale has moved for the first time in over 4 weeks. At least a month ago, I plateau'd after loosing 25 pounds ppd and have felt like the last 15 or so were never going to come off. So I was totally excited when I got on the scale today and it had moved down 2 pounds!!! Woo Hoo! I want to slowly start adding the recipes to our meals ... and start making bone broths much more regularly (like once a week). I can get organic/free range whole chickens at our local HFS for about $10; I figure that is cheap when it's typically dinner, left-overs for lunch, and then a yummy broth. I can't find organic/pastured beef bones, so I guess I'll ask at the grocery store - they hopefully will be better than nothing (though I prefer chicken broth over beef broth, but beef broth is nice to have around).
homemademomma 12:38 AM 08-19-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
I am having a VERY HARD time eating at any regular times! We wake up really late and stay up late, so I've decided to eat at 12, 4, and 8, and not restrict snacks. The only thing is, when and if I eat, it's not usually very much, but it's usually very fatty (like an egg or grilled cheese sandwich). I also have a really hard time getting enough vegetables in. You know, this is my issue, even when I"m not dieting.

To answer your question Laurel, no, I don't seem to have the crash issues you do, in fact, I almost NEVER feel hungry. Or I do, but I put it off, it goes away, and I forget about it.
hi, sorry to butt into this thread!! i am moving toward a more traditional way of eating, and i have about 25lb to lose. what has REALLY helped me with my veggie/fruit intake is to eat raw up until dinner time- i usually have a smoothie with raw goat milk and assorted veggies and fruits, and sometimes a handful of raw nuts, and then i snack on fruit until lunch, which is a giant salad with a few pieces of raw cheese, or else if i really need it, i will have a (obviously not raw lol) boiled [free range organic] egg with it. since i started doing this (maybe a month ago??) i usually eat 8+ "servings" of fruits/veggies a day.
MyLittleWonders's Avatar MyLittleWonders 01:15 AM 08-19-2006
We do smoothies in the morning with fruit and sometimes I'll add something like VitaMineral Green knowing I'm not the greatest getting enough each day. We also try to keep carrots and fruit of all sorts on hand for snacking. But typically my biggest servings come in the morning with my smoothie - it's actually my favorite thing for breakfast and I usually feel "off" until I have one if I don't get one in the morning.

In terms of having an egg or grilled cheese sandwich, I think those are good things. We have lots of eggs (very good for you especially if organic/free range), and I tend to cook the grilled cheese in either coconut oil or organic butter, so the good fats there are helping with the carbs of the bread. And the cheese, I figure, is also pretty good for you.
member's Avatar member 09:59 AM 08-19-2006
Can someone with the book refresh me as to when Sally & Mary suggest taking CLO and Butter oil?
Laurel723's Avatar Laurel723 03:05 PM 08-23-2006

So, how many calories, approximately, are ya'll taking in every day?
member's Avatar member 04:40 PM 08-23-2006
I am getting between 1800-2000 in my guesstimation.
1 2 

Up