Healing from traditional foods - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
My mom had chronic fatigue for years. I mean, YEARS. She started taking oil of oregano.She is fully recovered. I think chronic fatigue starts as a gut issue. I would say try the OO, and get her on some kefir daily.
How much oil of oregano? I looked at some today. It was $69 for an ounce or two. The directions said 2 drops under the tongue. Is that what your mom did?

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 09-01-2006, 12:19 AM

I haven't been doing NT for very long...dabbling in it for maybe a couple of months....Other than all the weight that I've lost, I've noticed that my period was shorter and lighter, I had no cramping, and my charting has been easier, because my fertility signs are so obvious.
#33 of 57 Old 09-01-2006, 10:14 PM

moneca--thanks for barfworld!

caedmyn--we did scd for three months (and we went on vacation for a week and i stayed on it, carrying frozen yogurt and broth on the plane!)--now we're "light on the grains" nt. the girls are doing much much better, and i'll post more about us in that ance thread when i get a second.

thanks!

oh--another benefit--i also had no real seasonal allergies this spring. i used to be on benedryl constantly. when i was pregnant and last year i took copius amounts of emergen-c.
#34 of 57 Old 09-14-2006, 04:49 PM

We've been drinking raw milk since last Sunday. My DS started coming down with a cold that same day (he's in daycare). When I picked him up from daycare on Tues, he coughed non stop for 3 hrs until I gave him his bedtime bottle of (raw) milk. I was preparing myself for a long night with lots of coughing but it didn't happen. DS fell asleep peacefully after his bottle and didn't cough once all night long. Yesterday he only coughed a little and is already getting better. We've experienced many, many colds ever since DS started daycare. This is the first time I've ever experienced a cold getting better so quickly without us losing any sleep. Normally I would have been up with DS all night for at least one night of coughing but that didn't happen at all. It seems to me that the raw milk helped DS get over his cold. I'm pretty sure its helping me right now too. I had a sore throat and a slight cough on Monday but already I'm getting better without getting the full blown cold. I hope as our health improves with our new way of eating that we will stop catching so many colds. With winter just around the corner, we'll know for certain if it is helping.

Kim
#35 of 57 Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbernet View Post
We've been drinking raw milk since last Sunday. My DS started coming down with a cold that same day (he's in daycare). When I picked him up from daycare on Tues, he coughed non stop for 3 hrs until I gave him his bedtime bottle of (raw) milk. I was preparing myself for a long night with lots of coughing but it didn't happen. DS fell asleep peacefully after his bottle and didn't cough once all night long. Yesterday he only coughed a little and is already getting better. We've experienced many, many colds ever since DS started daycare. This is the first time I've ever experienced a cold getting better so quickly without us losing any sleep. Normally I would have been up with DS all night for at least one night of coughing but that didn't happen at all. It seems to me that the raw milk helped DS get over his cold. I'm pretty sure its helping me right now too. I had a sore throat and a slight cough on Monday but already I'm getting better without getting the full blown cold. I hope as our health improves with our new way of eating that we will stop catching so many colds. With winter just around the corner, we'll know for certain if it is helping.

Kim
DH family recipe for a sore throat (works GREAT!!): warm milk (raw preferably of course, dont heat it too much to damage it) with butter and honey (again all raw preferably). Simple, tasty and nourishing. I think the butter and the cream from the milk are what does it the most, they coat your throat on the way down.
#36 of 57 Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 PM

I've just barely started NT and not completely yet but already my mood is much improved and I have a bit more energy. I did use the NT baby formula for dd when I didn't make enough milk (probably due to previously crappy diet) and she thrived on it along with bm. She is energetic and has the most beautifully rosy lips and cheeks (when she wasn't getting enough milk she was rather pale). My dad actually asked me if I put lipstick on her lol! (you can see pics in my sig) I'll add more the further along in the diet I get.

BTW, this should be a sticky! Awesome thread idea!
#37 of 57 Old 09-21-2006, 01:31 AM

we're not exactly NT yet (still trying to figure out how to implement everything in our diets) but we don't do any processed/refined foods anymore, with raw milk, kefir and kombucha. i used to get a lot of headaches, some migraines, and now i rarely get any headaches and i think i've only had one migraine since my son was born. recently i got a really bad headache because i had been eating sugar and bread and such... i recently had my first pp AF and it was light and hardly any cramping. previous to my pregnancy it had been very heavy and i would get awful cramps. hopefully my AF continues to stay light and cramp free.

my skin, though... *sigh*

it's definitely been a big indicator though, because whenever i slide into old habits my skin starts breaking out major time.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#38 of 57 Old 09-21-2006, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
How much oil of oregano? I looked at some today. It was $69 for an ounce or two. The directions said 2 drops under the tongue. Is that what your mom did?

I know it should not be that expensive everywhere

My mom did that, and she added a drop or so to her water, she sprayed it in a mist thingy, everything.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#39 of 57 Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
How much oil of oregano? I looked at some today. It was $69 for an ounce or two.
I buy a lot of my herbs and oils online from Mountain Rose Herbs. Their oregano oil is significantly less pricey.
#40 of 57 Old 09-21-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Here's one: http://bio-alternatives.net/buyoregano.htm. I think its 3 drops, 3x/day, in whatever from you want (juice, under the tongue, water, etc?)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#41 of 57 Old 09-21-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Holy cow! That's a lot of money for something that pretty much grows like a perennial weed around here (New England). I should harvest that oregano *bush* I have and make some oil.
#42 of 57 Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM

my skin, though... *sigh*

it's definitely been a big indicator though, because whenever i slide into old habits my skin starts breaking out major time.[/QUOTE]

I have been having a lot of trouble with my skin since about February. I eliminated some products I was using (shampoo and mascara) that had coal tar dyes in them after reading that they could cause major acne (I started using both items the end of January...) and my acne improved 50%. I was wondering if my thyroid was a little out of whack since the birth of my son and with the lack of sleep, so I got Dr. Ron's Sea Vegetable capsules that are for a healthy thyroid, and my skin has completely turned around. This period I barely noticed a change in my skin for the worse. But when I forget to take it for a few days I notice it in my skin. I also look a lot less ruddy and get less hot flashes. Yeah!
#43 of 57 Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been doing NT for about 3 months now. I got into it because the food looked delicious and the whole system of eating seemed balanced. Unlike other ways of eating, no particular food group is eliminated in the NT way of life. Other than raw dairy I have an easy time finding the NT food. I wasn't expecting any dramatic health benefits but I've been pleasantly surprised. My periods are much easier on me. I don't need to take any OTC meds for cramping. What cramping pain?

The biggest surprise was being able to go off my steroid nose spray. To be honest, I wasn't using it even though my allergy doctor prescribed it for me. Once I started NT my sense of smell got much better. I guess my nose had been somewhat stuffy but I hadn't realized it. I used to be sneezing all the time, my eyes were red, and those are all a thing of the past.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#44 of 57 Old 09-22-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharondio View Post
Holy cow! That's a lot of money for something that pretty much grows like a perennial weed around here (New England). I should harvest that oregano *bush* I have and make some oil.
It's only some special wild variety of oregano, when grown at high altitudes, that produces the intense antimicrobial properties. So you can imagine that there must not be a big yield. On the other hand, sounds like it grows in otherwise unusable soil...
#45 of 57 Old 09-22-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Raw milk kefir
High vitamin cod liver oil
Bone broths
How do you know if a cod liver oil is high vitamin? How much do you take per day? Do you ever take it straight to get enough?

I'm glad I stumbled across this... bone broth sounds like something I could handle. I'm inquiring about a good butcher in my area, we'll see!
#46 of 57 Old 09-22-2006, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

In WAP shopping guide 2006 they suggest the following CLO :

Green Pasture Blue Ice cod liver oil www.greenpasture.org

Radiant Life cod liver oil www.radiantlifecatalog.com

Dr. Ron's cod liver oil www.drrons.com

Garden of Life cod liver oil (you can get this at many HF stores)
#47 of 57 Old 09-22-2006, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Another wonderful benefit of NT diet has just appeared for me. I do believe part of it is due to chelation and detox along with eating a nutrient dense diet. I didn't dye my hair with herbal color this month and I have less gray than I used to.
#48 of 57 Old 09-27-2006, 02:22 PM

I saw more of a change recently. I lost 2lbs this week (in all 12.5 lbs after about a month of NT eating), my stomach cramps haven't occured, and I'm actually waking up after 8 hours of sleep on my own. (I've usually been sleeping about 12 hours a night) I'm pretty excited about the weight loss, I've been going down quite a bit after incorporating more NT meals into my diet. I didn't loose a single lb after dd's birth eating the politically correct lowfat diet way.
#49 of 57 Old 09-27-2006, 02:23 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#50 of 57 Old 09-27-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
In WAP shopping guide 2006 they suggest the following CLO :

Green Pasture Blue Ice cod liver oil www.greenpasture.org

Radiant Life cod liver oil www.radiantlifecatalog.com

Dr. Ron's cod liver oil www.drrons.com

Garden of Life cod liver oil (you can get this at many HF stores)
So does that mean I should toss the $40 bottle of Nordic Naturals I bought? :
#51 of 57 Old 09-28-2006, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

I took Carlson's and NN for a couple of years before finding WP and NT. I do believe it is better than nothing, but the high vitamin varieties are much better. I would finish out the NN if it were me unless money was growing on a tree in my backyard. Haven't found that tree yet...
#52 of 57 Old 09-28-2006, 03:59 AM

:
#53 of 57 Old 09-28-2006, 05:16 PM

Just found this thread!

My success story:
I've not been sick at all since changing the way I eat. Not even the slightest sniffle. This despite being extremely sleep deprived due to dd's isssues.

My skin is clear and I have lips now too! I'm able to maintain weight (for the first time in my life!)
Less AF cramping. No more depression.

I'm sure I could think of more . . .

I adore hearing others' success stories!

Anyone got an anti-wrinkle cure?
#54 of 57 Old 09-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Oh, and moneca asked about kiddos:

No more constipation for dd1.

Healing for dd2.
#55 of 57 Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Oh, and moneca asked about kiddos:

No more constipation for dd1.

Healing for dd2.
What do you think has helped DD1 the most with the constipation? My DS has struggled with constipation for the past year or so. What are DD1's favorite snacks and meals? I'm new to NT and haven't started DS on anything different yet but raw milk. Thanks!

Kim
#56 of 57 Old 09-28-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbernet View Post
What do you think has helped DD1 the most with the constipation? My DS has struggled with constipation for the past year or so. What are DD1's favorite snacks and meals? I'm new to NT and haven't started DS on anything different yet but raw milk. Thanks!

Kim
I think the biggest thing is no more refined stuff - in fact we don't do any kind of wheat at all.

You might want to check out this thread for more ideas on how to help ds's constipation.
#57 of 57 Old 10-03-2006, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Annikate,
You asked about wrinkles. My facial wrinkles have decreased markedly in the last 4 months and my skin just looks more vibrant. I'm guessing this is from a combo of detox/chelation in addition to nutrient dense eating. Taking the bad stuff out and keeping the good stuff going to help heal.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page