Healing from traditional foods - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 08-17-2006, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to hear how other mamas and kiddos have healed since eating nutrient dense foods. I send a lot of friends to this board who are considering healthier eating alternatives and I thought this could be an encouragement for newcomers.

I've been at it about 9 months and my vision has improved, skin has become much softer and less dry, and my keratosis pilaris is gone from my arms and legs. I'm also convinced that this diet has made my chelation process much easier than it might have been.
#2 of 57 Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca
I'd love to hear how other mamas and kiddos have healed since eating nutrient dense foods. I send a lot of friends to this board who are considering healthier eating alternatives and I thought this could be an encouragement for newcomers.

I've been at it about 9 months and my vision has improved, skin has become much softer and less dry, and my keratosis pilaris is gone from my arms and legs. I'm also convinced that this diet has made my chelation process much easier than it might have been.
I've been at this for 9 years. When I'm fairly strict about it, my immune system is great -- I can work in an office full of flu-stricken people, and never catch it. My diabetes is easier to control. My sinus infections are gone. I feel so much more energy, and when I've been taking my beet kvass, CLO and butter oil, I can run up hills without getting tired!

Recently, I've been traveling to see relatives and going to a lot of parties, and have been bad : and eating too much sugar and other bad stuff. I feel awful today -- headache, stiff joints, sinuses scratchy and stuffed up. I can't wait to get myself back on track! I'm drinking kefir now to try to get started on reversing all these icky symptoms!

Ann
#3 of 57 Old 08-17-2006, 11:43 PM

No more: IBS, interstitial cystitis, hay fever and hormonal acne.

Way more: sound sleep, energy and positive thoughts.
#4 of 57 Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 PM

Which one or two foods do you all feel have the most "bang for your buck"? Which ones do you feel make the most difference?
I'm trying to get my mom feeling better. She has chronic fatigue, which can be very downward spiraling. I've gotten her to try raw milk and she's going to drink 3 glasses each day. I've also gotten her to eat lots of fruit, raw butter and cheese, pastured meats...
I'd like her to be able to see some improvement so that she really gets on board. I think if she starts to feel a little better she would have the energy to do much more. It's just hard for her to even get started.
Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#5 of 57 Old 08-17-2006, 11:58 PM

Raw milk kefir
High vitamin cod liver oil
Bone broths

All everyday.
#6 of 57 Old 08-17-2006, 11:58 PM

And liver for chronic fatigue would be awesome.

Ooops... you said 1 or 2.
#7 of 57 Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Raw milk kefir
High vitamin cod liver oil
Bone broths

All everyday.
:
#8 of 57 Old 08-18-2006, 12:41 PM

for my family, it's been bone broth, every day. and coconut oil has given us nice soft skin

benefits so far (it's been almost a year): bright, shiny eyes. rosier complexions. teeth feel very strong, like glass. bright deep colored tongues and lips. very rarely get sick anymore (and we get together with 12 toddlers every week!). when i drink beet kvass, really peaceful sleep. with coconut oil before exercise, about 50% more energy.
#9 of 57 Old 08-18-2006, 06:02 PM

This is interesting. We're just getting started with NT. But we've been doing whole foods for about 4 years and my dh has definitely been less sick and his allergies are less severe.
#10 of 57 Old 08-19-2006, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. I never thought about lips having more color hmm....
#11 of 57 Old 08-19-2006, 04:37 PM

Lip color is direct relation to sufficient quantity of B vitamins according to our own Gale Force
#12 of 57 Old 08-20-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Lip color is direct relation to sufficient quantity of B vitamins according to our own Gale Force

According to my chiro. I've looked for research on it without success, but my own lips have gone from grayish light pink to an actual real lip color.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#13 of 57 Old 08-20-2006, 09:31 AM

Well, the bumps on my arms are gone and when I am dutifully having coconut oil my face is wonderful and radiant. Also, I always got the occasionally pimple with AF before, now I just don't get them period. I have gotten sick so much less as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#14 of 57 Old 08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Banned

my husband had psoriosis and acne as well as low sex drive and a few other problems (unexplained weight gain--which came from too much pasturized milk, we discovered) all of which were 'healed' in about a month on the diet. pretty amazing.

i'm vegetarian but have basicly followed many NT ideologies for a long time (whole foods, etc), and i rarely get sick (except last fall when i had a recurrent sinus issue due to an unusual pollen that was more abundant than usual--very unusual for the area, etc) and am very, very strong and healthy (most people are surprized at how much weight i can lift for my size, etc).

we don't have any children, but our rabbit, October J is now 9 years old. A little over a year ago, his eyes were getting 'cloudy' looking and he had stopped exercising (moving about) as much as usual (he's a free-roamer in the house). he started gaining a bit of weight (not healthy weight), and was a bit 'blue' most the time (sad/depressed).

I took him to the vet, who told me to begin to prepare for his death--as he was 8 and most rabbits don't live that long (some can live to be 18 or more!). Well, i didn't like that talk.

So, i brought him home and i figured out what the 'traditional' diet for a rabbit might be, and then 'riffed' on it. i increased his greens (mixed organic salad, herbs, and then things like carrot, beet, and other 'tops,' collard and mustard greens, etc), gave him more veggies, and then also bought him organic dried fruit. WE also give him a lot of anti-oxidant rich dried berries--his favorite being tibetan goji berries. we decreased his pelllet food (necessary for added, dry fiber--he doesn't take to eating timothy hay as he should), gets the same water that we get (filtered, mineral supplement, etc), and of course is kept very clean.

within a month, his eyes were clear, he was dancing like a baby bunny, he's very mobile, active, and curious, back to his old tricks, incredibly healthy. He is in 'perfect weight' (good muscle and strong bones too!), and now when a new vet sees him they think he's 3 or 4 at the most and are shocked to hear that he's 9.

they say "whatever you're doing, keep doing it! he's the healthest rabbit we've ever seen!"

i truly believe that animals need 'people food.' processed food is as bad for animals as it is for humans!
#15 of 57 Old 08-20-2006, 01:10 PM

Wow, zoebird! That's awesome, yay for your DH and your DR.
#16 of 57 Old 08-20-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
cheeck color too. When I was a vegeatarian I had the palest skin. Now that I eat meat I am a bit rosier

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#17 of 57 Old 08-20-2006, 01:50 PM

:

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#18 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca
Thanks mamas. I never thought about lips having more color hmm....
yeah it's a weird benefit, i admit but i only mention this because several years ago i had some digestive problems (i was a vegan at the time) - i would get sick really easily - and i was cured by an accupuncturist. he would always look at my tongue and skintone as indications of my progress. he was right! when i first began going to him my tongue was grayish white and my skin was uneven and pale. after a year of accupuncture, my skin became evenly colored and my tongue became pink.

but now that i'm doing NT, my skin is actually ROSY, and my tongue and lips are a really nice and healthy looking color.
#19 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird
i truly believe that animals need 'people food.' processed food is as bad for animals as it is for humans!
we've learned this too. our dogs are eating raw foods now only - no more processed crap. i think of regular commercial pet food as something like enriched pretzels - totally dead food. since we began feeding them raw, their breath no longer smells, their poops are really small and have NO ODOR, their teeth look white, their tongues bright pink and their coats are soft and shiny.
#20 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 AM

About 90% of my allergies have gone away. Now I only sneeze occasionally for a couple of weeks in the spring and a couple of weeks in the fall during hay fever season. My digestion is better, my joints no longer hurt, and my blood circulation is way better (hands and feet used to get cold very easily). DH's reflux has gone away.
#21 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Hi ladies,,, I am in a bit of a dilemma. Last year I tried freezing some back up Kefir grains when I had way too much, and thru the year, thru problems, my main kefir supply died off. I thawed out my reserve grains and I think they were in the deep freeze too long, because after a few weeks of trying to revive them and make Kefir, it isn't turning out. I need a new supply of Kefir grains. I used to have an address of a lady in Oregon who sold them for an exhorbitant price plus S&H, but in the past I have always been able to find someone who had a supply of extras who was able to spare some extra for someone in need...
Does anyone out there have any extra grains they could share????
Thanks,
Karen in WA
#22 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero
Which one or two foods do you all feel have the most "bang for your buck"? Which ones do you feel make the most difference?
I'm trying to get my mom feeling better. She has chronic fatigue, which can be very downward spiraling. I've gotten her to try raw milk and she's going to drink 3 glasses each day. I've also gotten her to eat lots of fruit, raw butter and cheese, pastured meats...
I'd like her to be able to see some improvement so that she really gets on board. I think if she starts to feel a little better she would have the energy to do much more. It's just hard for her to even get started.
Thanks for any thoughts you might have!
I've thought about this, and I can't really say, because I think it's a combination of having as many foods as possible be NT that does it, it can't be boiled down to one or two foods.
That being said, I really noticed the boost in energy when I started having beet kvass every day and taking a combination of 2 teaspoons CLO mixed with 1/2 teaspoon butter oil every day. But the energy goes away quickly if I start eating the cookies at work and going out to restaurants too often.

Ann
#23 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 05:32 PM

My mom had chronic fatigue for years. I mean, YEARS. She started taking oil of oregano.She is fully recovered. I think chronic fatigue starts as a gut issue. I would say try the OO, and get her on some kefir daily.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#24 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 05:54 PM

Well, I've got her started with a smoothie in the morning of raw milk kefir, banana, pineapple, CO and raw honey. I told her she could switch off with pastured eggs and sprouted bread. We are usually together for lunch so we'll be eating pastured meats, lots of veggies and bone broths a few days each week. I'm going to try to get her leftovers for dinner.
It's a start!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#25 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 09:02 PM

i've finally had painfree periods and my hypoglycemia is gone since i've been doing nt foods. i'm not all healed by a longshot tho (i'm going to post about this horrible acne, when i've never had acne before: ). my girls lips are the loveliest color. hmmm. i'l have to look at my own. dh's digestion is much better, and he "cheats" .

doing nt without grains--just really concentrated nutrition--healed my girls of a chrobic yeast infection and i think repaired some damage i may have done to them in the womb and breastfeeding while dieting early on--sigh).

but i've been at this for 8 months--shouldn't i be better by now?!?!?!?

oh--and one of our dogs has a lupus recurrence after we ran out a nutritional supplement and decided to see if she'd be ok without it. we started her on raw and whole foods (i'd like to do all raw but i haven't figured it out yet), including lots of fish (in addition to the clo she gets off the floor)--she's better in less than a month!!! gaping wound on the paw is gone!

food is powerful--i just need to get the right combination for myself.
#26 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 09:49 PM

OH yeah, I forgot.... no more bad cramping during AF, like none.
Still get tired though, need to eat more liver.

Nicolena
I think there are probably something you are still missing. How much vit. A are you eating? 50,000 IU/day from all sources?
#27 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 PM

janes--how do you get your 50,000? i recently stopped taking my multivitamin (realizing i *should* be getting everything from what i eat). i was pretty much relying on clo, meat, milk/yogurt, and butter. but i don't know how much is in anything besides the clo.

(i ate half a bag of baby carrots today, not that there's much there....)
#28 of 57 Old 08-21-2006, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena
oh--and one of our dogs has a lupus recurrence after we ran out a nutritional supplement and decided to see if she'd be ok without it. we started her on raw and whole foods (i'd like to do all raw but i haven't figured it out yet), including lots of fish (in addition to the clo she gets off the floor)--she's better in less than a month!!! gaping wound on the paw is gone!

food is powerful--i just need to get the right combination for myself.
Check out the following site for BARF (biologically appropriate raw food) :

www.barfworld.com

We haven't put her on all raw yet, but are giving ACV, raw egg yolk, and raw kefir after reading some of the raw pet sites.
#29 of 57 Old 08-22-2006, 08:48 AM

moneca--how's your DD doing?

nicolena--how've you been? I've been wondering how you and your girls have been doing. Are you still doing the SCD?
#30 of 57 Old 08-24-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
moneca--how's your DD doing?

nicolena--how've you been? I've been wondering how you and your girls have been doing. Are you still doing the SCD?
She is better, but things are two steps forward one step back. She is on the weight chart, growing taller, and vomiting less. Still not eaing or drinking anymore and no change in stools. It's much better than it used to be and I think a big part of her healing is going to be detox so we're trying some methods that don't involve her gi tract in any way. Thanks for asking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page