I need support thread on feeding toddler the NT way! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 08-30-2006, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had mashed organic sweet potatoes last night -- it was a meal in itself! I baked them and then added seasalt, grass fed butter and raw milk -- delish! And very sweet too -- I didn't miss the brown sugar I used to add at all!
Then the boys scarfed down the cold leftovers for breakfast this morning.

I bought some great frozen pineapple chunks from TJs -- extremely sweet, but with nothing added and awesome with yogurt. The boys love frozen pineapple now as well as wild blueberries and mangos.

Dh SHOULD be bringing home a few dozen free range eggs after work today...I can't wait, we've been without good eggs for almost a week!

Jane -- I will have to try meatballs...only do you buy your meat preground? I don't have a meatgrinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 54 Old 08-30-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins10705
We had mashed organic sweet potatoes last night.
Then the boys scarfed down the cold leftovers for breakfast this morning.
I think Fallon recommended to a friend of mine putting a runny egg over sweet potatoes for a good breakfast. Something about the vitamin A being very available or something? Anyway, a suggestion for y'all!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#33 of 54 Old 08-30-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan
I think Fallon recommended to a friend of mine putting a runny egg over sweet potatoes for a good breakfast. Something about the vitamin A being very available or something? Anyway, a suggestion for y'all!
That sounds great to me(I love eggs!) -- I actually wanted to add a yolk or two along with the milk and butter(I throw yolks in everything: oatmeal or porridge, mashed potatoes or carrots, chicken soup, meatloaf, etc etc)...but, we've been out of eggs for several days.
#34 of 54 Old 08-31-2006, 08:15 PM

We had something yummm-o today -- coconut curry with chicken. I was cooking a chicken anyway, and after it was done I simply added a can of organic coconut milk to the drippings, about 1 Tbs of curry powder and a scant tsp of salt. Then I added some pieces of the chicken I had just made, some frozen mushrooms and peas. We ate it over bread that was starting to go a little hard(too lazy to make rice I guess). It was easy and great -- babies loved it!
#35 of 54 Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
We had something yummm-o today -- coconut curry with chicken. I was cooking a chicken anyway, and after it was done I simply added a can of organic coconut milk to the drippings, about 1 Tbs of curry powder and a scant tsp of salt. Then I added some pieces of the chicken I had just made, some frozen mushrooms and peas. We ate it over bread that was starting to go a little hard(too lazy to make rice I guess). It was easy and great -- babies loved it!

Ooooo... this sounds very yummy!

We had homemade ice cream tonight. The girls absolutely loved it. Inhaled what I gave them and wanted more (it was gone, of course, because we shared it with gramma, grampa, uncle and friend).

We had smoothies for breakfast: kefir, bananas, pears, blueberries, peaches, and kiwi. Everyone loved it.

Tomorrow, I think I'll make sourdough pancakes for breakfast. Pitas and fresh veggies for lunch. Grilled steaks, green beans, broccoli, and squash from the garden for dinner. My oldest Dd loves steak. I cook them so that they are still bright pink in the center, and very tender.
#36 of 54 Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
mmmmmmmmmm. it does sound yummi! Hey, where do you get coconut milk? Do you buy it in cans like in Trader's Joes???
#37 of 54 Old 09-01-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax
mmmmmmmmmm. it does sound yummi! Hey, where do you get coconut milk? Do you buy it in cans like in Trader's Joes???
Yeah, I buy it in cans at Sprouts, Wholefoods, or the local HFS though I'm sure TJ's has it too. They add guar gum to it -- but so far I haven't heard anything negative about that. I think canned organic tomatoes and canned organic coconut milk are the two things that Sally Fallon "oks" in NT
#38 of 54 Old 09-01-2006, 02:28 AM

My 2 yr old usually eats; scrambled eggs, sausage, water melon, plums, grapes, raisins, pinenuts, pretzels...(okay we cheat).

I will cook chicken breasts and cut his into cubes and salt it. Goetta sometimes in the morning but I use my own stock when making it. For the baby I puree this and add creme on top.

Tonight he had pizza. He loves noodles but I don't do those too often though they sell the sprouted kind at Trader Joe's. he loves yoghurt. I recently made cookies with him Oatmeal raisin.

We are not perfect and yet sometimes chicken Mcnuggets are eaten, but I do try...and he is not sick very often.
#39 of 54 Old 09-01-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josette Marie
My 2 yr old usually eats; scrambled eggs, sausage, water melon, plums, grapes, raisins, pinenuts, pretzels...(okay we cheat).

I will cook chicken breasts and cut his into cubes and salt it. Goetta sometimes in the morning but I use my own stock when making it. For the baby I puree this and add creme on top.

Tonight he had pizza. He loves noodles but I don't do those too often though they sell the sprouted kind at Trader Joe's. he loves yoghurt. I recently made cookies with him Oatmeal raisin.

We are not perfect and yet sometimes chicken Mcnuggets are eaten, but I do try...and he is not sick very often.
Thank you for sharing!
We are not perfect too! Sometimes I give my son an "S" cookie from local bakery. Shhhh!!!
What type of sausage does your son eat? Most of them have nitrates in them, so we need to be careful...
#40 of 54 Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 PM

speaking of sausage -- has anyone tried out the turkey or lamb sausage recipes in NT -- they sound awesome. I would make them in a heartbeat, but no meat grinder or decent quality ground meat for sale here.
#41 of 54 Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 AM

Subbing to read later!

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#42 of 54 Old 09-04-2006, 01:39 AM

Subbing too.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#43 of 54 Old 09-09-2006, 03:07 AM

Checking in, mostly to sub, but also to whine about how pickypickypicky my ds is. And when he doesn't like the options presented to him, he absolutely Will.Not.Eat. Trying to find NT foods that 1) I have the time and ability to cook; and 2) my ds will actually eat, has been a very discouraging process for me the last several weeks. I will probably be trying out all these suggestions for the next few weeks (hope my grocery budget holds out for this round of experiments!)

Kelly
#44 of 54 Old 09-09-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't been visiting for a while, my son went thru a huge teething fever last weekend, it took him a while to get his appetite back, so I hear you, mom above! I want to him my head against the wall in times like that.

So, what's on the menu?

I have been meaning to ask you, what is the yummiest way to make liver for toddler? Any tips?
#45 of 54 Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM

My 23 mo loves chicken liver pate on sprouted crackers (if you can find them in stores near you Casabe crackers are a good grain-free alternative). It's just sauteed liver and onions, soft bacon, hard boiled eggs, and raw butter mixed together in the food processor. He loves to say the word pate as well! Somewhat shocking to my SAD diet friends who feed tofu dogs and turkey dogs and fish crackers to their kids.
#46 of 54 Old 09-09-2006, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchavez
My 23 mo loves chicken liver pate on sprouted crackers (if you can find them in stores near you Casabe crackers are a good grain-free alternative). It's just sauteed liver and onions, soft bacon, hard boiled eggs, and raw butter mixed together in the food processor. He loves to say the word pate as well! Somewhat shocking to my SAD diet friends who feed tofu dogs and turkey dogs and fish crackers to their kids.
Mmmm, that sounds yummy...
#47 of 54 Old 09-11-2006, 02:04 AM

my 2-year old eats a lot of-

homemade yogurt with fruit
EFLF's banana coconut smoothie (with raw egg yolks)
bacon
home-ground, soaked whole grain pancakes with maple syrup, butter, & coconut oil
brown fried rice with chicken, egg, green onion, cooked in coconut oil
homemade chili made with homemade chicken stock (i grate frozen liver on top of it, can't even taste it!), served over brown rice
homemade lasagna (we cheat with the noodles)
homemade soups - lentil, broccoli, mulligatawny. we eat soup almost every day. she loves to dip toast into it. if i'm out of soup i heat up some beans in some chicken stock.
homemade corn chips dipped into guacamole or homemade mayo
steamed artichokes dipped into homemade mayo
homemade ginger ale or beet kvass/lemonade mix - great source of probitoics
stir-fried steak with various veggies. one of her favorite is zucchini sauteed in garlic.
beans of any kind, topped with sour cream
tacos
almond & coconut cookies
#48 of 54 Old 09-24-2006, 02:22 PM

I just got the book and have been reading thru it. We eat eggs/dairy but not meat. Just wondering if there are others out there. I know one of the docs endorsing the book was a veg...
#49 of 54 Old 09-24-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
I have been meaning to ask you, what is the yummiest way to make liver for toddler? Any tips?
I just grate liver right into gravy or mashed potatoes or rice -- my two love it. I have heard you can also mix it right into meatloaf with great results, but I haven't tried that yet since the only "good" ground beef around here is super expensive.
#50 of 54 Old 09-24-2006, 10:15 PM

Haven't read the thread yet though I can't wait till I have a minute to do so. Some things my dd eats:

scrambled eggs
oatmeal porridge with homemade raw butter and syrup or honey

sprouted toast with raw butter and sometimes honey
or with almond butter and sometimes honey

homemade crackers from NT

homemade raw ice cream.....alot....I feel like its one of the better things she eats. very lightly sweetened with syrup.

homemade popcorn with butter and syrup, yum!

frozen blueberries, frozen peas

sprouted tortilla cheese quesadillas

basic brown rice recipe I forget 1 or 2 but she loooves it.
#51 of 54 Old 09-25-2006, 12:50 AM

Nora's Mommy,

Your list (minus the frozen peas) is almost exactly what my DS eats! My husband worries that he eats too much ice cream... I keep explaining that it has hardly any syrup in it, and that it is a wonderfully healthy food the way I make it... but he doesn't buy NT, or anything that has to do with the importance of nutrition. Does your daughter eat any other veggies besides peas? Other than potatoes and sweet potatoes, I can barely get a vegetable into DS. I waffle between thinking that veg. isn't as important for babies as everyone thinks (difficult to digest) and worrying that he isn't eating any. Actually, I don't eat many vegetables either... (my favorite vegetables are all really fruits! tomatoes, avocado, eggplant).
#52 of 54 Old 09-25-2006, 09:38 AM

I am new to NT and to this website. I am so glad I have found this forum! I have a 30 month old and a 13 month old. I will list what we have for our meals:

Breakfast: muffins, pancakes, oatmeal porridge, eggs, fruit. (I usually make the muffins and pancakes on the weekends and we eat them throughout the week) I found some really good muffin recipes on the Peggy's Kitchen page of this site. I have adjusted the recipes so that I soak the flour over night and they turned out fine. I make pancakes with blueberries and pecans mixed in.

Lunch: raw milk cheeses, tuna salad or chicken salad ( I use the canned tuna with only tuna, water and salt and organic canned chicken-Is this acceptable for NT?) sprouted grain breads-(I tried to get a sourdough starter going, but it didn't work. I'll try again soon.) fruit, veggies, crispy nuts smoothies, peanut butter and banana sandwiches

Snacks: Banana Bread with or without Carob sauce(YUM!), raisins or fruit, yogurt

Dinnerizza from NT (special treat on weekends)
We love the Basic Baked Chicken with veggies or soup
My boys love the fishcakes with black-eyed peas and veggies
#53 of 54 Old 10-04-2006, 03:43 AM

DS is 14 months old and a very good eater, so a few months back when we started giving him the whole cooked egg (we had been giving him the yolk as per NT instructions since he was about 7 months old) and he didn't like it we figured it was a texture thing. We tried scrambled, hard boiled, over easy, etc. What finally worked, and became what is his staple food still, after breastmilk, is for me to make what we call the "baby blend". I cook an egg over easy (so that the yolk is still runny) in CO and then blend it with some raw liver and whatever veggies, legumes, grains, etc. that we have leftover from dinner the night before. I add a few herbs or spices or sea salt depending on the blend. I also add different supplements depending on the blend and time of day. When he was younger I made it pretty smooth but have gradually increased the corse-ness of the blend over time. It seems to have helped him over the texture issue because last week he happily started eating pieces of my omelet.

This whole process also works great for me as a busy mom because many mornings I also make a "leftover omelet" for myself. I'd like to say it's an Italian thing, because my grandmother used to make omelets out of everything from leftover spaghetti and meatballs to antipaste, but it could just be a wierd family thing. I just saute some leftovers in CO until they are heated through and then pour a couple of whipped eggs over the top, cook - flip - cook and enjoy. It's quick, easy, filling, almost no prep and i cook it in the same pan I just used to cook my son's egg!

My only question in doing this has been concerning food combing, but I haven't gotten that far into NT yet so hopefully I'm not doing something really wrong.

DS also loves his yogurt. He loves to spoon it into the blender where we blend it into smoothie with fruit and CO. It comes out smooth enough for him to drink from his cup. I am hoping to begin making kefir for us soon.

He also likes oatmeal (steel cut, soaked overnight) with crispy nut butter mixed in. I add some melted butter on top and he loves to shake on some cinnamon. I don't really ever add any honey, syrup, sugar or other sweetners to any of his food.

Other than that we seem to be doing the same things as many others. He loves pieces of raw cheese, raw fruits and steamed veggies, beans and small pieces of sprouted bread spread with pate for snacks.
#54 of 54 Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFooFoo View Post

My only question in doing this has been concerning food combing, but I haven't gotten that far into NT yet so hopefully I'm not doing something really wrong.
Sally says in NT that food combining is a load of hooey. See pages 60, 196.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page