I need support thread on feeding toddler the NT way! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really need some moms to give me support and maybe throw in some recipies on feeding my 14mo DS the NT way.
B/4 he was born I never liked cooking (and I still don't by the way). I know I just have to do it, but I really need some ideas, some recipies...that I can make.

Maybe some moms can post what their toddler ate today or any day with the recipie.

Would this kind of thread survive?

My DS eats chicken broths, egg yolks, avocado, raw goat's milk, raw butter, vegetable soups, grass-fed beef meatbals, etc...

Please please give me some ideas! I want him to eat healthy!
I'm sure I'm not the only one here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 03:36 PM

That list is great for a 14 month old!!! I need to get help from you! Ds (2) likes all meats, fruit, grains, avos, some veggies, goat milk/yogurt/butter, and coconut smoothies (I put coconut oil in there to get some fats in him). Sometimes he is into eggs and somtimes not...he loves turkey sausage and natural bacon.

Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 08-25-2006, 03:43 PM

subbing! I've got two 11 month olds and they are big eaters...the past few days I have been so lax on preparing good meals(ie: we've been eating tons of bananas, yogurt and leftover brown rice : ).

My babies are not big fans of the rice anymore(even though it is cooked with beef broth) -- they want more meat. I'm soaking some almonds now and I have a ton of sunflower seeds to use up so I'm going to make those sunflower brownies from NT. I figure it will be something quick to grab along with a banana or yogurt for breakfast...the only problem is that they take 24 hours to cook...I really need to get that dehydrator.

I want to get my act together and be like three days ahead in meal preparations(forget about a full on week!) with several quick options to just grab if something comes up and I don't have dinner made on time for the babies.

I read over Thomas Cowan's advice for feeding tots age 1 to 3 and he stresses the fats and cholesterol for their rapidly developing minds. So I've been adding extra cream to Malachi's bottles -- until I just discovered the cream I got from Trader Joes has careegenan in it!: I swear -- if I could afford it, I would be out in the country w/my own cow or goats so I could have more control over the crap they sneak into our food! : It gets so frustrating at times.

I am going to skim through NT again and start making myself a list of NT convenience meals that I can be prepared to whip up in 10 minutes or less...as well as snacks I can just grab and go.

Anyway...sorry for the ramble...I've got a pastured chicken in my fridge that I'm going to cook tonight....I think I'm going to boil some eggs too and make two big bowls of chicken and egg salad(with homemade NT mayo!) that me and the boys can snack on this weekend.

What's everyone else doing?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama
That list is great for a 14 month old!!! I need to get help from you! Ds (2) likes all meats, fruit, grains, avos, some veggies, goat milk/yogurt/butter, and coconut smoothies (I put coconut oil in there to get some fats in him). Sometimes he is into eggs and somtimes not...he loves turkey sausage and natural bacon.

Jennifer
Thank you!
Some ideas for smoothies please. I love love love coconut oil but what do you put in the smoothies? Bananas? Strawberries?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins10705
subbing! I've got two 11 month olds and they are big eaters...the past few days I have been so lax on preparing good meals(ie: we've been eating tons of bananas, yogurt and leftover brown rice : ).

My babies are not big fans of the rice anymore(even though it is cooked with beef broth) -- they want more meat. I'm soaking some almonds now and I have a ton of sunflower seeds to use up so I'm going to make those sunflower brownies from NT. I figure it will be something quick to grab along with a banana or yogurt for breakfast...the only problem is that they take 24 hours to cook...I really need to get that dehydrator.

I want to get my act together and be like three days ahead in meal preparations(forget about a full on week!) with several quick options to just grab if something comes up and I don't have dinner made on time for the babies.

I read over Thomas Cowan's advice for feeding tots age 1 to 3 and he stresses the fats and cholesterol for their rapidly developing minds. So I've been adding extra cream to Malachi's bottles -- until I just discovered the cream I got from Trader Joes has careegenan in it!: I swear -- if I could afford it, I would be out in the country w/my own cow or goats so I could have more control over the crap they sneak into our food! : It gets so frustrating at times.

I am going to skim through NT again and start making myself a list of NT convenience meals that I can be prepared to whip up in 10 minutes or less...as well as snacks I can just grab and go.

Anyway...sorry for the ramble...I've got a pastured chicken in my fridge that I'm going to cook tonight....I think I'm going to boil some eggs too and make two big bowls of chicken and egg salad(with homemade NT mayo!) that me and the boys can snack on this weekend.

What's everyone else doing?
That's the thing, NT's recipies are not for dummies. And they take long! Most of them at least.
What really is hard for me is when we are on the go and spend a lot of time outside. I should also try to get some ideas for snacks to take with us outside.
Sound like you have everything under control.
How is Thomas Cowan? Any readings of his I might be interested in?
Old 08-25-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax
What really is hard for me is when we are on the go and spend a lot of time outside. I should also try to get some ideas for snacks to take with us outside.
You could purchase raw milk cheese. If you liked cooking more and you had the knack you could make cheese.
You could try Jessica Prentice's coconut-date balls. She writes for Dr Cowan's website.
Quote:
How is Thomas Cowan? Any readings of his I might be interested in?
The one about how the heart does not pump. And The Man in the Iron Mask. Also on WAPF: "treating fevers in children." You have to use the search function - you can not find it under Children or other categories.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Hmmmm... What do *you* eat? Can you incorporate that into your son's diet?

Here is what we've had over the last few days:

Breakfasts:
- scrambled eggs (made with whole milk/cream), sourdough toast, and chicken sausage
- smoothies (kefir, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, mango, kiwi, pineapple, peaches, whatever fruits I have on hand; green powder, coconut oil)
- cereal (not NT, but very convenient sometimes!)
- egg not-mcmuffins (eggs fried in butter/co, raw cheese, sprouted grain english muffins spread with butter)
-sourdough pancakes

Lunches:
- pb & j (or almond butter) on sprouted grain bread or sourdough
- raw veggies (cukes, carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, etc.)
- soup (veggies with bone broth and chicken)

Suppers:
- chuck roast (crockpot, cooked with carrots, onion, garlic), steamed fresh broccoli
- steak with mushrooms; fresh yellow squash, sweet corn, and broccoli
- pita sandwiches (used leftover steak, tomato, avocado, carrots, cukes, etc.)
- lentils, rice, and chicken sausage casserole (easy, cheap, and filling)

Snacks:
-fresh fruit (peaches, grapes, watermelon, bananas)
-yogurt (by itself, or with fruit)
-leftover pancakes

Desserts:
-homemade raw cream ice cream
-watermelon

I understand about food! It seems that food rules our lives. The time it takes to acquire it, prepare it, eat it, and clean up after it seems to dominate my day! However, things that help me are planning ahead, even one day; trying to use whole foods; using what I have in the pantry/freezer/fridge/garden; keeping it simple, good does not have to be gourmet or time-consuming!

I try to keep some things on hand that the kids can do themselves. That may mean they only eat fruit for snacks, because I don't have to open, peel, slice, or dice it! One meal for everyone at the table (there may be parts that not everyone likes, but everyone tries at least two bites, as tastes do change over time). Everyone pitches in to help with setting and clearing the table.

I think that your list looks really good! Fix things that you like, that are healthy, and let your child eat what you are making. Snacks are ok, just make sure that they are healthy. Keep the junk out of your house, and you will be well on your way!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:10 PM

Exactly! By that age, my kids were eating much of what I ate. I had them on grains by then and a few things may have needed some extra blending or mushing, but that's it. Esp. if you are eating in a way you want them to eat, that's the easiest.

Still, Jen Albritton, who writes for Vitamin Cottage, often has articles in the WAP journal and is a chapter leader/nutritionist/mom in Denver gave a presentation on feeding kids at the conference they held in March.
http://nourishingconnections.org
There is a whole section there on Feeding Kids and sections of recipes for kids. GREAT resource. Though, be warned. Their website is best viewed in Explorer. Somethings aren't too smooth in Mozilla.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 08-25-2006, 09:25 PM

I feel like I need ideas too! Here are a couple I've done (if anyone sees me violating any NT principles, for goodness's sake, tell me!), but I'm loving these new ones.

* Grass-fed roast beef sliced very, very thin and cut up in chunks.
* Carrots or sweet potatos cut in discs or chunks (respectively) and cooked with butter, sea salt and some beef broth until the pieces are soft enough for easy eating--then I boil it down until the broth is really thick. This makes veggy chunks in a thick kind of jelly sauce--ds loves these.
* Pureed yogurt. If you just whiz yogurt in a blender, it liquifies and can be put in a sippy cup.
* Broth "jello"--basically gelled broth spooned out. This has a limited appeal, however; he seems to need to be in a certain mood.
* One-egg omelet, often with some cheese sprinkled in it, cut into fun little strips (well, at least he seems to think they're fun).
* Sauerkraut! Really--it's one of his favorite foods and has been for some time.

I'll also add cream and broth to just about anything I can get away with. Generally it seems to make him more likely to eat things than not. Also, for dinner he usually eats whatever we eat. Lunch and breakfast are more "fend for yourself" kinds of meals with us, though.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Hmmmm... What do *you* eat? Can you incorporate that into your son's diet?
Well for me, that's exactly the problem! My DS is almost 12 months and he pretty much eats what we eat plus breastmilk, but during the day he keeps me too busy to fix much of anything and I am starving all day! I usually have some scrambled or fried eggs in the mid-morning, and maybe a little sourdough bread and cheese around lunchtime... when DH comes home we do have a decent dinner, but often DS is asleep by the time we have dinner. I am watching this thread because I need help making sure that BOTH my babe and myself get better meals/snacks during the day!!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:22 AM

Ok, I can totally relate to your toddler keeping you busy! Mine is busier than her two older siblings combined! (and that's going some!)

Here's what I've done in that situation. I try to break things into 5 or 10 minutes steps that I can do between interacting (or cleaning up after, or chasing out of, or mending an injury) with Dd. It helps to give her something that will distract her (puzzle, playing in the sink, eating a snack, crayon and paper, although she does eat the crayons still). Sometimes, I let her eat as I'm preparing a meal.

I try to do things at night or while she's sleeping so that I can get 30 min. of uninteruppted time. Breakfast is often started the night before, supper while she's napping, etc. Sometimes I'll get Dh to occupy her (a major task for him, since she's really a "mommy's girl" and gets upset about it until she remembers how much fun she has with daddy). When that works, I can often get as long as an hour to catch up on things.

Really, it's been a process (still ongoing, I must add!) of teaching her that Mama has to cook, and she can watch, but she just can't have me to herself EVERY. SINGLE. MINUTE. of the day! She's 27 months, so I try to find jobs that she can do to help me. She puts the silverware away out of the dishwasher (minus sharp knives, of course), washes produce (and herself!), "sets" the table with her sister, carries things to the table (butter, salt and pepper, hot pads, flatware, napkins, etc.). When she has a job, it is much easier to get some cooking done.

Lest you think we have no strife, however, there are plenty of times when I am just starving, and *need* to cook, that are very loud and unpleasant, because I am not doing what she wants me to do. Or that end up with Dd and I cleaning up a mess she's made while I was busy in the kitchen (that actually happens quite frequently, hahaha!)
Old 08-26-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I try to break things into 5 or 10 minutes steps that I can do between interacting (or cleaning up after, or chasing out of, or mending an injury) with Dd.
I do this, too. I say it takes me ALL DAY to make dinner. I start chopping things in the morning, then I'll saute something mid day, do whatever small tasks don't seem that big, but add up when you're trying to them ALL at once, y'know. Often I try to make dinner in the crockpot or sun oven. Get it all done early and the in the evening focus on salad, side dishes, etc. Small tasks are:
chopping garlic
chopping onions
chopping herbs
sauteeing veggies for later
making sauce (I do this for the curries in EFLF)

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 08-26-2006, 12:52 PM

dd(2) has been on a shake kick lately.It's all she'll eat in the mornings!

1 c. rice milk
1/4 c. orange juice
1 banana
3 tbsp protien powder

sometimes add...yogurt or blueberries or raspberries

blend it up till it's frothy!!! yum-yum!

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan
Exactly! By that age, my kids were eating much of what I ate. I had them on grains by then and a few things may have needed some extra blending or mushing, but that's it. Esp. if you are eating in a way you want them to eat, that's the easiest.

Still, Jen Albritton, who writes for Vitamin Cottage, often has articles in the WAP journal and is a chapter leader/nutritionist/mom in Denver gave a presentation on feeding kids at the conference they held in March.
http://nourishingconnections.org
There is a whole section there on Feeding Kids and sections of recipes for kids. GREAT resource. Though, be warned. Their website is best viewed in Explorer. Somethings aren't too smooth in Mozilla.
Thank you! That site was good.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Man! Some good suggestions! Please keep the thread since I'm taking in every word.
It is hard for me to cook and take care of myself since my son is really high-need. Soups are easy to make since it's just a little chopping but otherwise it cooks itself...
Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 AM

i only have a second, but i often make the rainbow rice salad recipe. i make a big batch of rice with broth and gelatin (when i remember) during breakfast--i take it off the stove around lunchtime (off the heat but with the lid on). then whenever i have a sec i chop the onion and peppers. i use canned pineapple. sometimes my girls just pick out the raisins, but sometimes they really go for the peppers. it's a good meal to assemble in pieces, and it lasts a meal or two.

twins10705--you rock for doing so much with 11 m.o.s!!! i wasn't cooking much until my girls were at least 14 months. rock on.

and i usually peel and cut an apple and a cucumber for the day and keep it a comtainer in the fridge. it seems to make other moms real uncomfortable when i whip the "super healthy" snacks :, but the girls always eat them up!

anyone try applegate farms natural organic hot dogs? do these seem ok to you? that's a quick meal (and the reason i'm making ketchup),
Old 08-28-2006, 04:21 PM

nicolena, I 've not actually eaten them yet, but I have six packages sitting in my freezer (I split a case with a friend). They better be good for what they cost! I thought they would be a happy compromise for us; my children love hotdogs, and I hate the commercial kind, think they are junk.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:59 PM

I just bought a small block of Comte imported raw milk cheese from Trader Joe's -- my kids are loving it! A bit pricey...but cut up in little chunks along with grape halves or other fruit, a small amount could be stretched pretty far IMO.

Mine also were pretty receptive to pickled herring as long as they had a bite of butter bread inbetween each bite of the fish...I'm trying to get them used to fermented and sour tastes and so far so good -- though I've been warned that when toddlers start to approach two, they may get a lot pickier(can anyone validate this?)

nicolena -- well, I wasn't cooking AT ALL until about a month ago when they started wanting to eat whenever and whatever I was eating -- so it kicked me in gear to finally start cooking after living off cold sandwiches and a lot of frozen foods for well over a year. I'm afraid of them developing too much of a sweet tooth early on and only wanting to eat nuggets and potatoes when they're older, KWIM?

ETA -- the carob brownies turned out really good -- they are even better after sitting for a couple of days. They are very slightly "gooey"(well this is AZ and it is hot so that is probably why) so I've been picking off bitesize pieces and rolling them into balls so they are perfect for the baby to pickup.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi moms,

Just want to share that today my son had a vegetable soup for lunch from cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, onions mixed with pastured chicken meatballs.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax
Hi moms,

Just want to share that today my son had a vegetable soup for lunch from cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, onions mixed with pastured chicken meatballs.
I like the meatball idea! What do you put in them?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Sometimes I make soup with bone broth, carrots, celery, onions, and whatever other veggies I have (frozen green beans, peas, corn, etc.) I'll add in some finely chopped leftover roast beef or chicken, or some ground beef. It's easy to pack in a lot of nutrition this way. I usually just cut everything up so that it's small enough for my little ones to get it on their spoons without much trouble. Plus, it's an easy thing to do in steps, if need be.

We also like egg not-mcmuffins (fried egg, cheese, meat if you like on a sprouted grain english muffin). Easy and quick, and very dense nutrition.

We always have fruit for snacking, esp. in the summer and fall. We picked 1 1/2 bu. of peaches a few weeks ago. I think we ate about 1/2 bu. fresh, and the rest made it into the freezer and jam. Apples are similar, as are blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

Smoothies are good. We make them with kefir, coconut oil, a green powder, small amount of honey, and whatever fruit we have in the house.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 PM

subbibg

What's a green powder?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:18 PM

subbing for now....
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins10705
I like the meatball idea! What do you put in them?
Just ground chicken, eggs, little bread crumbs(I use Jewish matzo meal) and some sea salt. Very very simple.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sometimes I make soup with bone broth, carrots, celery, onions, and whatever other veggies I have (frozen green beans, peas, corn, etc.) I'll add in some finely chopped leftover roast beef or chicken, or some ground beef. It's easy to pack in a lot of nutrition this way. I usually just cut everything up so that it's small enough for my little ones to get it on their spoons without much trouble. Plus, it's an easy thing to do in steps, if need be.

We also like egg not-mcmuffins (fried egg, cheese, meat if you like on a sprouted grain english muffin). Easy and quick, and very dense nutrition.

We always have fruit for snacking, esp. in the summer and fall. We picked 1 1/2 bu. of peaches a few weeks ago. I think we ate about 1/2 bu. fresh, and the rest made it into the freezer and jam. Apples are similar, as are blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

Smoothies are good. We make them with kefir, coconut oil, a green powder, small amount of honey, and whatever fruit we have in the house.
What type of green powder do you use? My son likes Kamut grass or Barley grass. I'm so happy that he likes that, he will even drink it mixed in plain water!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsparrow
subbibg

What's a green powder?
A supplement that is basically dried greens such as kale, spinach, and other green veggies. Some have spirulina and chlorella as well. I like the Perfect Food by Garden of Life. I've heard good things about Vitamineralgreens as well.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:09 AM

Old 08-30-2006, 12:18 AM

what does NT stand for??

DD is 13 months.

She had applesauce for breakfast. Usually she will have some fresh ground oats quickly cooked with it and sometimes some raisin soak in with it too.

For lunch she had about 2 bites of her carrots with ginger and apple and decided she did NOT like that. So then she had some quinoa and a pile of blueberries.

For dinner she had a bit of homemade pizza crust cut up small (she has very few teeth still) with some steamed and some sauteed veggies put in the blender and baked for a few min on the crust. I cooled it 'cause she is teething and then put a few drops of flax seed oil in with it.

She also had lots of mama-milk.

I find that some days she will eat lots of fruits or veggies and some days she wants mostly alll grains (they are always whole grains except once or twice ever.) I have read that toddlers often do this -and by weeks end they have had their "proper #of servings" of each food group.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama
what does NT stand for??

DD is 13 months.

She had applesauce for breakfast. Usually she will have some fresh ground oats quickly cooked with it and sometimes some raisin soak in with it too.

For lunch she had about 2 bites of her carrots with ginger and apple and decided she did NOT like that. So then she had some quinoa and a pile of blueberries.

For dinner she had a bit of homemade pizza crust cut up small (she has very few teeth still) with some steamed and some sauteed veggies put in the blender and baked for a few min on the crust. I cooled it 'cause she is teething and then put a few drops of flax seed oil in with it.

She also had lots of mama-milk.

I find that some days she will eat lots of fruits or veggies and some days she wants mostly alll grains (they are always whole grains except once or twice ever.) I have read that toddlers often do this -and by weeks end they have had their "proper #of servings" of each food group.
Hi!

NT stands for Nourishing Traditions book by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. It's not just a cookbook, but a whole lifestyle if I may. I highly highly recommend it.
Seems like your daughter is doing fine. The only thing is, are you and your family vegetarians? You didn't not mention animal products such as eggs, fish,meat and other sources of dairy... You did mention pizza...NT believes that it's important to have some type of animal product in the diet...
Old 08-30-2006, 12:38 AM

for now her "animal product" is copious amounts of my milk

i am vegetarian, but not vegan. However, DD gets a seriouis tummy ache from milk products and eggs are the one thing that is truly disgusting to her. I give her a bite now and then, but she spits it right out and oh the faces she makes!

I am not concerned because she still gets so much mama milk. If she still hates eggs and can't tolerate cow's milk in another year or so then I will try goats milk products.

book sounds interesting - i'll have to look for it. Thanks!

User Tag List