A raving review for water kefir & a gluten free NT diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-29-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been making water kefir lately, and I am just absolutely amazed by that stuff. Not only does it taste delicious but I have seen almost a miraculous change in my 2yo dd. She has always been extremely thin no matter what we did, has had loose stools her whole life, and is most likely on the autism spectrum (definitely has SID). Since starting giving her kefir on a daily basis, as well as continuing on a gluten free NT diet she has had normal poops, is gaining weight, and seems to be actually connect with us which is a huge accomplishment for her. We have twice missed a day or two of kefir (still continued with the gluten free diet though) and for a couple days she seems to have many more sensory issues, is very irritable, and gets runny poops again. I am so completely impressed by the change that I can attribute mostly to the daily beneficial bacteria, etc of the kefir. I do think that the gluten free NT type diet is absolutely essential to her also.

I am not saying this is a cure for her issues, but it is such a huge step in the right direction. I know that issues such as what she has are very complicated and can have many reasons why they may occur, so someone else may not get the same results. A few months ago I was incredibly depressed and overwhelmed when we realized how many sensory issues, autistic behaviors, food allergies/sensitivities she was having. I still worry for my daughter, but now I feel like we are on the right path. We are still learning what she needs and how to help her, and I am just so grateful that I stumbled across the information we needed. I have been holding back tears as I have been typing this, I just really wanted to share our story.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Wow, thanks for the testimonial. I so need to start that with my son. He has dairy issues and I suspect grains as well. Hoping to get him tested soon.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#3 of 11 Old 08-29-2006, 06:57 PM

I am so happy for your family! s I have been reading about water kefir today and I am even more excited to start serving it to my family.

Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#4 of 11 Old 08-29-2006, 07:04 PM

I am so happy for you and your family mama. Your sweet girl deserves to feel better and you all deserve her feeling better!
#5 of 11 Old 08-29-2006, 07:11 PM

congratulations, celestial!

where did you get your kefir grains? i need to get some probiotics into my dd as well. your testimonial has spurred me to action. also, can you share what drinks you've been making? my dd is 2 years old.
#6 of 11 Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 AM

Wonderful that things are working out!

I am going to start me and ds on gluten-free for some skin conditions. I have been drinking Beet Kvass and had some good success with that.

Can I ask you a question? What kinds of NT and gluten-free breads, pancakes, porridge do you serve? I am ordering coconut flour and will try some recipes with that but I want to serve some type of porridge because he loves oatmeal and I need to stop it for a while.
#7 of 11 Old 08-30-2006, 02:09 PM

Wow. Thanks for such an inspirational story. Keep us updated.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#8 of 11 Old 08-30-2006, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocita
congratulations, celestial!

where did you get your kefir grains? i need to get some probiotics into my dd as well. your testimonial has spurred me to action. also, can you share what drinks you've been making? my dd is 2 years old.
I got mine from GaleForce, not sure if she still has extras. You can ask on here, and someone probably can send you some. We make our brew with either apple slices, lemon slices or dried organic apricots, then strain out the grains and mix half & half with organic juice and let sit on the counter for another day. DDs favorite is the apricot brew with orange juice She drinks that every morning with her breakfast. I also make a second batch in cranberry juice (the grains are a pretty color now) for my cranberry-juice addicted DH. We do like it alot with just lemon too, it tastes like a refreshing lemonade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_mom
Can I ask you a question? What kinds of NT and gluten-free breads, pancakes, porridge do you serve? I am ordering coconut flour and will try some recipes with that but I want to serve some type of porridge because he loves oatmeal and I need to stop it for a while.
We use rice, millet and quinoa mostly. They would definitely work as a porridge. We do eat soaked oats, but I am worrying about gluten contamination so we have been eating them less, even though dd does not to react to them. Honestly, we dont eat as many grains as we used to because of being gluten free, but I think that we were definitely eating way too many before. I have used soaked brown rice flour and soaked oat flour to make pancakes and I am looking into gluten free sourdough recipes. Rice flour is low in phytates anyway, so it might be a good alternative for you. I bet millet flour would work well too. Typically we eat eggs and fresh fruit for breakfast on weekdays and on the weekend we add bacon or sausage to that. Right now on the rare occasions we have bread, we use millet or brown rice bread which is not really an NT item, but we do not eat it often. We do eat corn, and have found that the Food for Life brand sprouted corn tortillas work good for a sandwich for us. It seems like every person avoiding gluten has their own level of what grains they can eat. Some can handle oats and corn, and others cannot. Some cannot really eat any grains. Some people cannot even use the same dishes as something that had gluten on it before. We are trying to rotate what grains we are eating to avoid any further sensitivities, since dd has many other food allergies/sensitivities.

We focus our diet mostly on healthy meats, fats (dd eats alot of coconut milk/oil), pastured organic eggs, soaked beans and local organic produce with a little bit of the soaked grains I mentioned, or some potatoes. I really do want to find a sourdough gluten free bread recipe that I can make NT, because my DH loves sourdough bread, and my dd really likes sunflower seed butter on millet bread, but I limit her consumption of the millet bread because it is not soaked/sprouted and it is made with yeast.

Let me know how the coconut flour works out. I have been wanting to order some from Wilderness Family Naturals, but I was waiting to see when their cases of liter boxes of coconut milk and jars of coconut cream are coming back in stock. I should probably just call them!

~Rebecca~

#9 of 11 Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 PM

This is awesome! I'm so happy for you!
#10 of 11 Old 08-31-2006, 02:34 AM

Cool! How do you get dd to eat veggies?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#11 of 11 Old 08-31-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Cool! How do you get dd to eat veggies?
We grew a big container of organic veggies in our front yard. We visit our CSA farm each week to bag up our share, say hi to the chickens & ducks, and take a little walk around which she loves and talks about all week. I just made veggies part of our normal fun routine, and made a huge deal about how yummy they are. Now she picks all the green beans (beeeez as she calls them) off the plants in our container garden and eats them before we get in the house; she ate a whole handful of cherry tomatoes at the farm this week, etc. She pretty much begs for veggies at the farm when we are bagging up our CSA share I also add finely chopped veggies to just about everything. Scrambled eggs have kale, enchiladas have shredded carrots & spinach, lots of veggies in soup, plus having her eat them raw, etc. I guess I am lucky that she likes them. I did not put any pressure on her to eat them, I just talked about how they were *so* good and of course then she wanted to try them. She still is not crazy about fermented veggies, but I add them to things so they are not as obvious.

I think the big turning point with veggies was having them in our container garden and letting her help pick them. Then she realized what was in those bags from the CSA farm and wanted that stuff too.

~Rebecca~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page