kefir ~ milk to grains ratio question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when I first got my grains I added 1 cup milk per instructions, but now my grains are multiplying ... how much milk do I add ... does it matter? can you mess this up?

also, I put my kefir in the icebox while I was out of town (with enough milk to cover the grains and then some) when I returned I poured it out and added new milk (btw, this was when my grains really multiplied). I put it out on the counter and then next morning there were pockets of clearish liquid (whey, I'm assuming) what's going on here?
#2 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 11:35 PM

if your grains multiply, you can either add more milk, or give some grains away in your case though i would add more milk, 1 cup isn't very much! we make 1 quart every day.

the clearish liquid you noticed is probably whey, yep! when I see that, I just stir it right back in and drink it.
#3 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

okay, so I definitely want to add more milk but how much? How do I know? Before this recent growth in grains, I was leaving it for 24 hours and the whey never showed up. So this time I added probably 2 cups of milk (with more grains) and the whey appeared ... does that indicate anything? I'm probably being way too technical, but thanks for your input!
#4 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 12:24 AM

If there is whey, you could probably use more than 2 cups of milk next time. I think the question is, how much kefir do you want to make?

It's fine to add different amounts of milk and experiment (like one day I might put 3 cups and another day I might put 5 cups). If you don't add enough milk, it will turn to kefir faster, and it will be stronger/tarter. If you add too much milk, it will take longer or not be as strong.
#5 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so much, that info is really helpful

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page