Do you bake with honey? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-10-2006, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using up a giant jar of not-raw honey in my baking. It's almost gone and I'm wondering if I should buy more for use in baking. I use raw honey for smoothies but it's awfully expensive to be baking with. Does anyone bake with raw honey or is that just a waste? Would I be ok just getting some more organic honey for baking?
Thanks for your opinions!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#2 of 10 Old 09-10-2006, 12:07 PM

I use whatever hit my fancy at the time

I have a gallon of raw honey that used every morning for tea, kept on hand for treating burns,baking bread and whatever.

I also use sucant for baking, it does burn easily, and is not as sweet as proccessed sugar.

I am not too good at firguring out how much honey to put in a recipe though in place of sugar. Honey is so sweet.
#3 of 10 Old 09-10-2006, 12:13 PM

I use pasteurized honey for anything I'll be cooking. Just like, if I'm using a pint of cream to make a cream soup, I'll buy pasteurized (though not UHT) cream. Why waste the money on the good stuff when I'll be cooking it anyway?
#4 of 10 Old 09-10-2006, 04:46 PM

I use raw honey exclusively. Even if I'm gonna bake with it I feel better knowing that it was intact when I started. Silly, I know.
#5 of 10 Old 09-10-2006, 05:31 PM
RAF

I bake with honey. I am not sure if it is really raw or not, but supposedly it is. It is good quality honey, but it looks really filtered, so I wonder wether it was heated or not. I have baked with truly raw honey too, but not often, as I feel bad about it when I do.
#6 of 10 Old 09-10-2006, 08:36 PM

I use almost exclusively raw unfiltered honey for baking. That's about the only sweetener that will not cause mood swings in DH (he's bipolar). I don't think it's all wasted to bake with raw honey since mostly I'm making sweets like cookies, which only bake for 12 minutes. A lot of pasteurized honey is cooked for 30 minutes. I also use my raw honey in homemade ice cream, which doesn't get cooked. I find that I only need about 1/2 the amount of honey vs sugar in a recipe. Sometimes I will also substitute part of it with stevia, especially in recipes that can't stand to have too much extra liquid.
#7 of 10 Old 09-11-2006, 11:27 AM

In my experience, if you can find a local beekeeper you may be surprised to find very little or no price difference between "real" and processed. Sam's Club is still cheaper, but they are a hour away and the honey farm is about 20 minutes away. We have to drive out to the guy's house to get the honey, but since it never goes bad, we buy by the case to save a bit more. It's really much more flavorful than the storebought stuff- unless you are into the specific type of honey like orange blossom, etc.
#8 of 10 Old 09-11-2006, 11:32 AM

Love your local keepers of bees!
#9 of 10 Old 09-11-2006, 12:58 PM

Firefaery,

I don't think it's silly at all. I use RAW honey for EVERYTHING!

And we keep several different honies in the house at all times. We have Menuka honey for colds, cuts and healing; raw honey without comb for cooking and me; adn honey with comb for husband.

Mrs Bernstein
#10 of 10 Old 09-11-2006, 04:19 PM

honey rocks. Its great for baking. I make a breakfast bread with a whole oats and fruit and it turns out well. The only thing that honey can be difficult for is`anything cold, it doesn't dissolve and sometimes turns plain hard. my kids love it on plain whole yogurt.
If you can get it, get raw and even better if local. dh really saw a difference in his terrible allergies. its not as cheap as sugar, but it has anti-microbial functions that kill bacteria that causes tooth decay. of course, this is ruined in pstrzation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page