Where can I buy glass gallon jars - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm needing glass gallon jars, where have you guys found them local? Or am I going to have to order them online I'd really rather not due to shipping!
Kellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM

Shipping would probably cost more than the jars. We have a lot of gallon jars that my mom collected in the late 70s from a shop owner who sold pickles. I don't know if pickles are still packaged in glass -- these are the pickles that a store would sell individually to someone wanting a pickle with their sandwich, for instance. They may use plastic now. I was a wee lass back then and I can tell you that it took a lot of scrubbing and airing out to turn the jars into what they are today. Other than that, I've just seen half gallon canning jars and gallon jars with spigots at the bottom.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:19 PM
AJP

Cost Plus (World Market) has 4-liter glass jars, which is close enough to one gallon as to not make much difference, with glass lids held on by a wire bail with a rubber gasket, like old-time canning jars. My natural food co-op can also order 1-gallon jars with regular lids (like the proverbial pickle jar).

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Maybe try a local deli or restaurant, I'm sure some things are still packed in glass, especially umm pickles...
Old 09-10-2006, 05:57 PM

Growing up, we've always had a huge stockpile of glass gallon jars. Korean households purchased virtually all their kimchee in these jars, then saved them for when they made their own.

Otherwise, I've seen some fancy glass jars (vintage-looking Martha Stewart brand with a metal screw-on lid) at Kmart that are gallon size. I think Target carries something similar. Pricey though.

If your health-food store has a refrigerated bulk section, you can ask them to save their pickle jars for you. Maybe a local deli could do the same (although many of them now seem to have plastic jars now).

Hope you find some. They're so handy to have around.

Kelly
Old 09-10-2006, 06:02 PM
RAF

Hello,

I find mine at thrift stores and can order new ones from Azure Standard. If you are near the west coast, you can order them from Azure on one of their truck routes and not have to pay for shipping.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!! Wonderful! I have both a world market and also order from azure all the time! I will put it on my list for this month. DH found me a large cookie jar that is glass at a thrift store this morning that will work for my kombucha for now, until I get more. Thank you again!!!
Kellie
Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 AM

We have a Sprouts store and I was looking there last night for the same thing. Lately I've been buying the apple juice in the giant jugs so that we have them but I rather not have the juice. Sprouts has them, but they were sold out. They were $5, but that seems reasonable, though i could definitely be wrong. If you find them online, let me know. April
Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 PM

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FRMhWAodyW5HbQ

these look decently priced online. April
Old 09-11-2006, 12:45 PM

Azure is a great source for canning jars at resonable prices, actually. I've bought several cases of half gallon and gallon sized canning jars from Azure this year. Even my dairy farmer had me order some for her.

User Tag List