Do you fantasize about being a farmer? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you fantasize about being a farmer?
No, never 10 7.63%
Yes, about once a year 6 4.58%
Yes, about once a month 18 13.74%
Yes, about once a week 41 31.30%
Yes, nearly every day 48 36.64%
I am a farmer 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 04-07-2007, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I fantasize every day about having a farm. In fact, I have fantasized about living on a farm since I was about 10 years old. I've always lived in the city, but my parents used to take my sisters and me out into the country a lot to pick-your-own farms and Sunday picnics, and I always loved the open spaces and fresh air so much. By the time I was 12 I had developed a plan of what exactly I wanted my farm to be like--it included (I remember) a field of sunflowers, an apple orchard and some ponies.

It never happened though, although it remained in the back of my mind all these years. The last little while as I have become more concerned about the quality of the food I'm feeding my family, my desire to have a farm has flared into full flame again. Only now I'd replace the field of sunflowers with chickens and cows.

My husband grew up in the country, and he'd like to move back too. We live in a particularly dirty and unappealing city and long to give our children the chance to connect with the earth. However, I don't know if it will ever happen...because of that little thing called money. DH has been unemployed for over half a year now, I bring in very little. I just don't know how we could go about packing up and moving into the country. All of our ideas to make money come from our hypothetical farm, so how do you make the money to get there?

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 64 Old 04-08-2007, 12:02 AM

I fantasize daily about a lovely little homestead. (You should see the little collection of books I have started!) My grandparents are finding it too hard to take care of their property as they reach ages 80 & 85 and we have considered buying it from them. I don't know how enthused Marc is about it, though, so I try not to get too excited. I think if it wasn't for the tiny size of the house he would be much more enthused.

But......it's about 14 acres, with a pond far enough away from the house for me to feel safe, a HUGE blueberry patch, lots of room for gardening, tons of woods. *sigh* And it's right around the corner from my parents' house. We would very likely be able to cut a nice path between houses since the properties back up to each other. (Papa gave my father and uncle each 4 acres when they were in their 20s.) And we like my parents enough to live that close.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#63 of 64 Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Wow Jessica, that sounds amazing. Especially the blueberry patch! I really hope that works out for you.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#64 of 64 Old 04-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
Wow Jessica, that sounds amazing. Especially the blueberry patch! I really hope that works out for you.
Me too!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page