Do you fantasize about being a farmer? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you fantasize about being a farmer?
No, never 10 7.63%
Yes, about once a year 6 4.58%
Yes, about once a month 18 13.74%
Yes, about once a week 41 31.30%
Yes, nearly every day 48 36.64%
I am a farmer 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A question for you traditional foods folks.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What I really fantasize about is living near farmers and getting all my food fresh from the farm- but not actually having to do any of the work!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
What I really fantasize about is living near farmers and getting all my food fresh from the farm- but not actually having to do any of the work!
That is a very nice thought.

And come to think of it, my fantasy is growing apples but not relying on them for income. I suppose I've made it in that regard because we have six apple trees and we are not relying on them for income. I'VE MADE IT!!!

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#4 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Yep.

I also know that I'm just not cut out for farming. I get too attached to the animals. I'm OK eating them. I'm OK naming them. I'm just not so good with naming them *then* eating them.
#5 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 02:30 PM

Yes, but not to raise meat. I too think I would get far too attached. I could raise chickens for eggs (if a day were to come that we could eat eggs that is) but I could not kill a "pet" which is exactly what any animal would become to me. Dh says to get over it as this is what we are working towards. I always assumed he'd come around and not want to raise meat though. Not so much. He's pretty hardcore in his meat eating philosophies. He is pretty adamant that if you eat meat you should be able to raise it yourself, otherwise you have no business eating it. I'm SO not there yet.

What this means is that the organic bed and breakfast/retreat that we have wanted to open will not be an animal free establishment! I just don't think I'll be helping in that arena if we ever see this project through.
#6 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have found the place I want, and we are trying to save up to buy it.

I plan on an orchard (fruit and nut trees), a vegetable patch, some bee hives and some chickens.

No animals (other than bees and chickens) because we don't eat dairy, and we're moving toward vegetarianism. Besides which, animals need more acreage, and I only want a little farm!

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#7 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
What this means is that the organic bed and breakfast/retreat that we have wanted to open will not be an animal free establishment! I just don't think I'll be helping in that arena if we ever see this project through.
I can't wait. That sounds cool. I don't have to eat a lot of animal. At least not everday.

Raising something big like beef is not necessarily viable for every small farmer anyway, so there are always going to be the ranchers with hundreds-thousands of acres who can range a lot of beef. We get our beef from a rancher with about ten head. It's a hobby for him but he still needs a lot of land to do it. On our five acres, we'll never have large animals.

#8 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

And as I sit here avoiding my for-pay work by reading Mothering threads, I realize I haven't quite reached the dream with my six apple trees since I have to work a lot of hours at the computer and have very few to work outside. The nice fall weather is giving me outside fever and I don't really have much time to get out there.

#9 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 PM

I voted about every day. I would love to be a farmer....just doubt that I would be any good at it.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#10 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Ummmm... I voted, I "am" the farmer. I grew up on a farm, we now live just down the road from it. It's a LOT of work. We have a big garden (I'm in the middle of canning tomatoes, making salsa, freezing broccoli, etc.), we have chickens, cows, rabbits, horses, seasonally pigs. It is a commitment. You can't be gone for the day without making arrangements for who will take care of the animals while you're away. Farming isn't optional in yucky weather; animals need care, cows need milking rain or shine, snow, wind, hail, heat. The garden needs tending even when it's 95F, and you've been out in the field all day. Hay needs putting up, and it's *always* ready on the hottest day of the year (I think it's Murphy's Law or something).

There is always something to do, no matter how hard you work. I am presently in the middle of about 5 projects, all are big, and all need attention right now. (I'm making excellent progress, can't you tell?)

I'd love to have some fruit trees, but the goat ate part of them, and we've not gotten around to planting more.

It's very rewarding to open the freezer and see your own beef, veggies, and butter. To open the fridge and see milk, eggs, yogurt, etc. from your own cow. To know that the food you eat is what you planted. But it is a *LOT* of work. To watch the newborn calves get up and nurse for the first time. To go for a ride with my children. To go with Grandpa on a hayride and bonfire.

Don't have any fantasies about it being the easy life, because it isn't. It is a good life, but certainly not easy. Most people have no idea how much work it is to cultivate your own land. It's definitely not for the faint of heart or weak of body.

I wouldn't trade it, though! Every time we talk about moving, I think about what we would lose, and I just can't get excited about that. It is definitely a good life!
#11 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 04:04 PM

Gardenmommy-you're so cool. :
#12 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 04:14 PM

i voted every day.
every. single. day.

i grew up spending every spring and summer on my grandparents farm in arkansas. when i was 14 they sold it (due to health issues) and i didn't speak to my grandmother for over a year. from that point on i was trapped in my urban world and eventually gave up on ever living the farm life again.

my dh and i are just starting to look for our own land. outside of my childhood experience and some books, we really don't know what the heck we're doing! but we do know that we want to raise our family and our food on some land.

but for now, i've gotta get to skimming the scum off my beef stock!
(just for practice, i went ahead and named my bones before roasting them this morning )

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#13 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

i fantacize about having a permaculture garden in an urban/suburban setting with goats and chickens. ALL THE TIME.
#14 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
I voted about every day. I would love to be a farmer....just doubt that I would be any good at it.
what she said
#15 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 PM

I dream about it until I remember the summer of 2001 where I helped out a local organic farmer for 6 weeks on my off days from my regular job. I remember the back breaking labor and them I think... maybe I will just buy from farmers. Dig a couple of hundred pounds of new potatoes with a pitchfork and that may change some tunes....

-Marc
#16 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:

#17 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 06:13 PM

I'm with Ruthla

I voted once a year

My dream is to have a huge yard/garden where I can have one goat, maybe some other animals, lots of fruit trees, foliage, vines, etc. Veggie garden, but pay someone else (and my MIL) for the upkeep

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#18 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 PM

Urban homstead,grow cherimoyas, bananas, peaches, figs, plums, apples, oranges, lemons, salads, strawberries, rasp., etc. with chickens. We are so blessed to have farmers markets every day of the week, year round somewhere near where i live. It almost makes it extra hard to garden because it is so easy to buy from them , and there stuff looks better than mine!
#19 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 PM

yes, so much so in fact that I have already bought my 15 acres
#20 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Gardenmommy-you're so cool. :
Awwww, thanks!

(can't make smilies work, or else
i'd use a big heart or something)
#21 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 PM

I studied to be a small-scale farmer for a year, and did the work as well. But DH needs to be in the city for his job. And I gotta be with DH. So. No farm for me!

I would not want to have a full-fledged farm, though. I'd go for one or two dairy animals, and a real vegetable garden, and one income crop/product if applicable. With time I'd expand to grains and beans, etc. Processing and storing really doubles the requirements, something that was rarely accounted for in my training.

I've been thinking wistfully about farming lately especially because raw milk is illegal here, and now there's the spinach thing on top of everything. I could really go for my own milk and spinach. And beets. And amaranth. And...
#22 of 64 Old 09-20-2006, 11:33 PM

What I'd really like is more of a homestead/ large garden. I want a few chickens, a coupla goats, maybe a few sheep. And a HUGE veggie/flower/herb garden(s)! I'd like to have a building on my property or connected to the house that I can make and sell crafts and herbal products in, and bumper crops from the garden, divided herbs or herb cuttings, and my other interest, refurbished antiques. One day my vision will come true! (We need to get out of the apt first!)
#23 of 64 Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 AM

i totally fantasize about having our own land and a straw bale home we have built ourselves, a graden with lots of veggies and herbs and flowers and berries, maybe an orchard, goats, chickens, sheep...i just want us to be able to provide most of our own food. i dunno if it'll ever happen, though, but i can always fantasize and wish my little heart away.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#24 of 64 Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 AM

Persephone-ITA. I want to be self sustained and rely on nothing. I wnat to be able to have everything I need on my own land-as close as I can come anyway.

A week into knowing each other we decided on the B&B retreat. I just want to have no financial worries (that's where the B&B part comes in) and be able to grow, cultivate and create. This is the perfect time of year to be thinking about it!
#25 of 64 Old 09-21-2006, 01:50 AM

LOL I love this thread! I know NO ONE IRL who fanticizes about farming -- I voted "nearly every day". I cannot wait to have my own garden, mini orchard, milk goats, chickens etc etc etc
#26 of 64 Old 09-21-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
What I'd really like is more of a homestead/ large garden. I want a few chickens, a coupla goats, maybe a few sheep. And a HUGE veggie/flower/herb garden(s)! I'd like to have a building on my property or connected to the house that I can make and sell crafts and herbal products in, and bumper crops from the garden, divided herbs or herb cuttings, and my other interest, refurbished antiques. One day my vision will come true! (We need to get out of the apt first!)
yeah, us too!
#27 of 64 Old 09-21-2006, 01:54 AM

OK, I have never visited this forum before but saw this in "New Posts" and had to say EVERY DAY!!!! We have a giant garden now and even that is a lot of work with the canning & freezing. Still we talk about buying more land and throwing some goats & chickens into the mix. I thought it was just us!
#28 of 64 Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 AM

I would like too on a small scale. Very large garden, goats, chickens etc. I would just want enough that it would be for us, not to make money on.
#29 of 64 Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 PM

Couldnt help myself... every time I see this title I think of this ....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81735038058181
(maybe racy... but still pretty cute)

:
#30 of 64 Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 PM

I was shocked to see this as a poll---gawd yes!

We have a lil' dream of moving back to the U.S. and living on a plot of land under a lovely permanent patch of BLUE sky (rare in Beijing...only after they manufacture a rainstorm here)

...and some chickens for eggs, and a milk cow (ok, dd can't do cow's milk so maybe goats...) and veggies but I'd haven't a clue how to start that. Practicalities don't concern me at this stage...It's truly our fantasy, though!

Maybe we'd be the only Cholov Yisroel raw milk supplier in the country (what the heck's she talkin' about....heh heh that's one for all y'all Jewish folks out there.)

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page