Grain Clarification - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-26-2006, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am super new to trying to incorporate a NT diet.

Regarding Grains:

Soaking breaks down phylates. Does Sprouting, in addition to adding nutrition, also break down the phylates so you can use it without soaking?

Are phylates actually harmful or do they only block absorption of lots of the nutrients? I mean, I know we want to abosrb the nutrients so we are getting all we can, but it would help me be hospitipal in the company of others if I could eat something knowing that it was an empty calorie and not directly harmful.

I have been soaking my oatmeal in the fridge. Does it make a difference if something is soaked in the fridge or at room temp?
#2 of 10 Old 09-26-2006, 12:18 PM

I will do my best to answer and am sure others will chime in if I'm mistaken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsCathMamma View Post
Soaking breaks down phylates. Does Sprouting, in addition to adding nutrition, also break down the phylates so you can use it without soaking?
Yes. Esp. since you do have to soak first before sprouting. Both are good for breakin down antinutrients.

Quote:
Are phylates actually harmful or do they only block absorption of lots of the nutrients?
I guess Fallon would say that if you go very long without absorbing nutrients, that is harmful. Personally, I soak at home and don't worry about it if I'm out somewhere. An occasional unsoaked grain won't hurt me, though it might someone who is more sensitive.

Quote:
I have been soaking my oatmeal in the fridge. Does it make a difference if something is soaked in the fridge or at room temp?
Fallon would say it needs to be in a warm place. I don't always seek out a warmer place in my house, but it does need to be at room temp at least. In her talks, Fallon points out that how seeds/grains are broken down to sprout is by a combo of extended moisture, warmth and acid. So it does need some warmth.

Anyone else?

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#3 of 10 Old 10-08-2006, 07:45 PM

Bumping up here for more input.
So, I soak whole wheat berries til they sprout, then let them dry out, then grind into flour. Correct?
Can I use my dehydrator to dry them before I grind them?
What does everyone else do?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#4 of 10 Old 10-08-2006, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I dehydrate my sprouted nuts before using them, so I imagine you can do that for wheat berries. Sorry, my copy of NT is downstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
So, I soak whole wheat berries til they sprout, then let them dry out, then grind into flour. Correct?
Can I use my dehydrator to dry them before I grind them?
What does everyone else do?

#5 of 10 Old 10-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, you're working too hard. With unlimited kitchen time, this is a great thing -- sprouting adds nutrients and it breaks down the phytates. But soaking flour is actually very effective for breaking down phytates, particularly in the case of wheat. If it's a recipe that you can do as a sourdough or soak the sponge otherwise, I would just do that. Cookies or some such might call for sprouted flour.

ConsCathMamma -- people with kidney problems are told to avoid phytates, so they are probably hard on the kidneys.

Quote:
It definitely matters particularly for oatmeal. Oatmeal is lower in phytase, the enzyme that breaks down the phytates. You need to add something acid -- lemon, yogurt, whey, etc. -- and soak in warm water (110-130 degrees).

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#6 of 10 Old 10-09-2006, 05:00 PM

So if I want to grind my own flour, do I just grind and then soak as usual?

#7 of 10 Old 10-09-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
So if I want to grind my own flour, do I just grind and then soak as usual?
Yep

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#8 of 10 Old 10-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info. It did seem like it was getting to be a lot of work. I'd like to try grinding my flour to see the difference but the soaking and dehydrating is a lot of time. I can't plan that far ahead anyway!

#9 of 10 Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 PM
AJP

You can buy flour made from organic sprouted wheat, spelt and rye from http://www.creatingheaven.net/eeprod...sfc/index.html . It's kind of pricey but it's really, really good, and nice to have around for when you want to bake something and haven't planned ahead enough to soak the flour, or want to make something that doesn't work so well with soaked flour. I use the spelt often for making cookies, muffins and other quickbreads, or the occasional loaf of yeasted bread.

There is no secret ingredient.
#10 of 10 Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
You can buy flour made from organic sprouted wheat, spelt and rye from http://www.creatingheaven.net/eeprod...sfc/index.html . It's kind of pricey but it's really, really good, and nice to have around for when you want to bake something and haven't planned ahead enough to soak the flour, or want to make something that doesn't work so well with soaked flour. I use the spelt often for making cookies, muffins and other quickbreads, or the occasional loaf of yeasted bread.
Thank you so much for that link!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page