Milk diet ... Gale Force or anyone else ... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 09-27-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious aboutt your experience(s) with milk diets - if you don't mind sharing. When have you done it; how long and how much and how young ...

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#2 of 68 Old 09-27-2006, 03:17 PM

I did it in March for a month and got good health benefits from it. My cycles improved, my thyroid improved (but needs more work), my sleep improved, my eyes are less sensitive to sunlight, my mental clarity improved. I drank about 1 1/2 gallons a day of Organic Pastures milk.

My dad has been on what I call "The Cheater's Milk Diet" which means he's all milk except when a friend invites him to lunch. He's actually lost about 20 pounds. For weight loss, McFadden (below) recommends drinking about 3/4 gallon a day. I've tried it and just didn't stick with it. I've been too busy lately to focus on a "diet."

If you are going to do it, get a hold of one of the milk diet books. OP sells one by Charles Sanford Porter and you can often find one by Bernarr MacFadden on Amazon. I have actually been planning on setting up a milk diet website and offering both books there. And like many other things, I haven't done this yet.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#3 of 68 Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 AM

:
#4 of 68 Old 09-28-2006, 07:49 AM

So, basically, you just drink/eat nothing but milk? Is there anything else to it?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#5 of 68 Old 09-28-2006, 10:14 AM

What about a raw milk, raw cheese and kombucha diet? My mom is having good results from drinking kombucha so she doesn't want to give that up. She has been thinking about doing this and seeing what happens.

#6 of 68 Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
So, basically, you just drink/eat nothing but milk? Is there anything else to it?
That's basically it, but the milk diet books give much more detail. For instance, to increase digestion of the milk it's best to sip it throughout the day rather than chugging a quart for each meal. They explain exactly how to measure out the milk and drink it all day. They recommend starting at the beginning of a menstrual cycle, doing a fruit fast the day before starting, how to know if you are drinking enough or too much milk, etc. They recommend complete bed rest during the fast so that your body can focus on healing. I didn't do that part but would if I could. When I've gotten friends interested, I make them read my book copy first. A friend has my Porter book right now. But it is pretty basic.

Kombucha + milk? Try it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#7 of 68 Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 PM

This is interesting . . . I had never heard of this milk diet before, however, a few years ago when I first started into the tradtional food thing, I was craving raw milk so much, and also raw honey. I ate almost nothing else for a while-- I don't know how long, maybe a month or so. I thought I was kind of crazy, eating just raw milk and raw honey, but it felt right and I trusted my body. I didn't do the bed rest thing though (I wish!)

I'm sure it had positive affects but it's hard to peel the affects of that diet apart from all the other health changes I was making at the same time. My health was just generally improving a lot.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#8 of 68 Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 PM

facinating, I've never heard of this. LOL that's actually pretty much what I did during my pregnancy. Unfortunatly the milk was ultrapasteurized and not organic so I cant say that was particularly healthy but I CRAVED milk (I was drinking about a gallon a day) Now I can't drink milk at all, it gives me a stomach ache but kefir is fine. Would kefir diet have the same effects as a milk diet?
#9 of 68 Old 09-28-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
Would kefir diet have the same effects as a milk diet?
It would be better because of the added nutrients

#10 of 68 Old 09-28-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
It would be better because of the added nutrients
Awesome! Does anyone have any good links with info about this?
#11 of 68 Old 09-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't think I've been on a raw milk diet since I was about 6mo.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#12 of 68 Old 09-29-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I don't think I've been on a raw milk diet since I was about 6mo.

#13 of 68 Old 09-30-2006, 12:28 PM

Are there some more links about this? I've heard of it, through the Weston Price Foundation, but unfortunately most of the information was extremely sketchy.

Is milk a complete food? What kind of milk: cow's, goat's, what? Don't you need to take additional vitamin supplements with a milk diet?

Sorry, I just am extremely interested in this and have found very little information about it before when I've looked. Can someone help me out here, maybe point me to some resources I've missed? Thanks.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#14 of 68 Old 09-30-2006, 12:32 PM

Conteuse,

This is exactly why I've planned a website. I have some of it done but just haven't gotten it up.

When Dr Porter put people on the diet, he put them on nothing else but milk. They drank milk from Holstein cows exclusively for at least four weeks. Some people stayed on the diet much longer. Porter met one man who lived for over 40 years on milk only -- he had a lye accident as a child and his throat closed -- it's all he could swallow.

I think the biggest issue would be finding milk from a grass fed animal. That's hard to find, but I would think goats or cows milk would be fine.

Amanda

#15 of 68 Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 PM

How is it coming, Gale Force?

I'm all excited; I went to the local library and was able to order Weston Price's book on nutrition, using Inter-library loan. (I just LURVE inter library loan!)

When I get it, maybe some of my questions will be answered. I just wish there was more recent research about this milk thing, other than from way back in the 20s and 30s.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#16 of 68 Old 10-16-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conteuse View Post
Right on, Conteuse! Keep asking! Not very well lately.
:

#17 of 68 Old 10-17-2006, 08:34 AM

An update on my mom-
She's been on mostly milk for about 3 weeks, I think and she said she's feeling better than she has in 10 years! She said she still feels tired on Friday after working all week but not like she used to. It used to be that every day she was falling asleep and achy by lunch time. She's not losing any weight (she needs to lose about 45 pounds or so) but she has not been doing any exercise yet. I think we'll give her a few months to feel really good and then start adding some swimming and walking.
She is amazed and very happy!
She is drinking about 3/4 of a gallon of fresh, raw, grassfed milk each day but probably eats food 2 or 3 times each week due to social obligations.

#18 of 68 Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 PM

Wow Suzy. What great news! It sounds like she's on my dad's cheater's milk diet. He's lost weight on it but he has 100+ pounds to lose.

#19 of 68 Old 10-17-2006, 03:58 PM

With a milk diet, how do your intestines take it since there is no fiber being taken in? Granted, the flora probably loves it.
#20 of 68 Old 10-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Serena,

One of the bits of advice in the book is that you will know if you are getting enough milk based on your poop. Constipation? Not enough milk. Diarrhea? Too much milk. So even without the fiber, things move along if you're drinking enough.

Amanda

#21 of 68 Old 10-25-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conteuse View Post

Woohoooooo!!!

The Milk Diet

Read the Macfadden book for free. I keep promising to give people the book, so this is an easy way to do it.

#22 of 68 Old 10-25-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!!! I want to buy a print copy of the two books when you have it offered.

#23 of 68 Old 10-26-2006, 09:03 AM

My mom is gaining weight on the milk diet. Any thoughts?

#24 of 68 Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
I did it in March for a month and got good health benefits from it. My cycles improved, my thyroid improved (but needs more work), my sleep improved, my eyes are less sensitive to sunlight, my mental clarity improved. I drank about 1 1/2 gallons a day of Organic Pastures milk.
What is it about the milk diet that is supposed to help? All of the symptoms you listed, Amanda, seem like magnesium deficiency symptoms & raw milk from grass-fed cows is high in magnesium, right?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#25 of 68 Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 AM

Wow, I read the book.

I wonder why this diet stopped being used often?
Maybe because it is so difficult to aquire raw milk in those quantities. Around here, we'd have a challenge getting that much raw goat milk this time of year.

His description of the baths, the relaxing with the window open, massage, heat, all rest, no talking, not to much reading, and all milk diet almost sound like a spa you would go to back in the day. It would be really hard for most people to do all this with our modern hectic lifesyles, yk?

Some of the stuff was like huh?, like saying people with arthritis should dress lightly? Never heard that before. Saying people with arthritis should have the window open unless it is severely cold.. If it's chilly, you would think sitting in light clothing by an open window would be bad for arthritis, but he said window open unless it was severely cold.

Maybe it's because the milk diet makes you sweat. It sounded like some detoxification happens when on the all milk diet.

It would be cool to see hair tests before and after on this diet, and a nutrition panel blood test.
#26 of 68 Old 10-26-2006, 11:22 AM

About a month after we started our raw milk (I drink and consume the most) i started to get bad arthritis in my chest, to where i'd wake every morning feeling like my bones were rubbing together. It lasted about a month and has been gone for about three weeks or so. Could this be from detoxing?
#27 of 68 Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 AM

My mom told me yesterday of a few other things that are better since starting the raw milk diet:
She used to have seasonal breast pain that was not diagnosed with a cause. She said it has not happened this fall. She has had that since she was a teenager.
She also has had migraines all her life. She has not had any lately.
Her blood pressure is normal and she has stopped taking her medication.
She has gone from 10 different pills each day to none.

She is starting to eat one meal each day after about 3 weeks or so of mostly milk. She is totally convinced of the benefits. Of course, all her friends think she's nuts. They ask if she's drinking skim milk. They ask if she's worried about her cholesterol.

#28 of 68 Old 10-26-2006, 01:01 PM

One of my teachers upped her vit d intake (don't know what from source), bc she had breast cancer. her breast cancer dissappeared on its on as well as her minor ms symptoms. She's been working with an internist.
#29 of 68 Old 10-28-2006, 06:27 PM

my six year old is drinking a gallon a week, with no fast first, and still eating regular food, and her arthritis is getting worse.
#30 of 68 Old 10-28-2006, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Are you supplementing her with magnesium at all? With that much milk, it might help (don't know how it works into the milk diet itself though).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page