kombucha and breastfeeding - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that the 'no glass jars' thing has to do with surface area. You'd get a larger, thinner SCOBY with a glass bowl vs. a glass jar.

I was wondering about the temperature thing, as well. I just made my first batch of tea the other night, and it still seemed quite hot after 1 3/4 hrs. I hope I didn't hurt my new SCOBY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 54 Old 10-07-2006, 12:42 PM

Eee....miss a day and several questions. OK so

Well, I still feel good about the kombucha, because I /do/ do green chlorella filled drinks, which specifically sponge up and eliminate mercury...but yes, caution is always a good thing...personally I'm just glad I had my 22 year old amalgam removed and had time to do a detox before pregnancy. That really sucks about the poor mom's baby! And they told us those fillings were perfectly safe all these years......:

I wonder if she ate any seafood during pregnancy and if she lives near any coal power plants? They can release up to 200+ pounds of mercury into the environment per year...that's ALOT of mercury!!

Re: the 'green and sandy' stuff. Your liver will 'dump' it's old contents into your intestines and it will come out with a BM elimination. So not in your urine. You will probably get bright pea green, 'lima bean shaped or round globular' things, and then 'yellow sandy' stuff if you do a liver flush. For pics to see what to look for, the curezone has tons of pics. Any old stuff that might have been blocking ducts or what not, might be brown or black and calcified looking... But enough on that!

I do let my kombucha cool for about 2 to 2 hour and 15 minutes (right up to the suggested don't go over 2 1/2 hours....as some days it seems to cool slower... If I'm worried, I pour in the extra saved kombucha liquid (to adjust acidity, and cool it off even more) and THEN gently float the baby on the top...just as a precaution. It probably won't kill it if you put it in a bit soon, but it might be slow in production for a few days (from what I've read). It will sink to the bottom sometimes if it's too warm. But if the SCOBY is kinda thickish, that helps protect some of the culture!

I use the 'Anchor Hawking' glass decanter jar (sold at Walmart/Target). It has straight up and down sides, but a wide opening. I especially like the lip rim that catches my rubber band perfectly to hold that tea towel on TIGHT! If you have the large 1/2 gallon to a gallon, wide mouth mason type jars, I'd think they are fine. As long as there is decent surface air volume to feed the SCOBY and allow for easy removal, it should work. I actually hate the pyrex bowl, because you need to use a tape barrier to keep the towel up and out...

Happy Brewing! I remembered another thing..I believe that some dentists will charge you only $50-$75 for an amalgam removal if you are paying cash...or can try to partially charge your insurance and say it was 'old' and needed removal and replacement..but that'll depend on the dentist...
#33 of 54 Old 10-07-2006, 02:24 PM

I thought gallon jars were pretty common for brewing..I use a gallon and half gallon and because of bugs I leave the lid on placing a coffee filter or wax paper thing inbetween the metal and the rim of the jar. I also do the hot water sugar is about 4 cups of water and then poor my cool filtered water in it to cool it off after the sugar has melted and then place the scoby in the water. I haven't had any problems. Takes a lot less time to get started that way.
#34 of 54 Old 10-07-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl View Post
I thought gallon jars were pretty common for brewing..I use a gallon and half gallon and because of bugs I leave the lid on placing a coffee filter or wax paper thing inbetween the metal and the rim of the jar. I also do the hot water sugar is about 4 cups of water and then poor my cool filtered water in it to cool it off after the sugar has melted and then place the scoby in the water. I haven't had any problems. Takes a lot less time to get started that way.
Ooh, I like that idea. I'm going to use it next time. Thanks!
#35 of 54 Old 10-08-2006, 02:50 PM

Moneca, when you move back to Colorado, come look me up We can brew, cook and hang

The half hot, add cold water brew is a nifty short cut, but just be sure the cool water is sterile, that's the point of boiling it all. I'm sure it'd be fine if you are using spring or distilled/filtered water from a clean jug...just be careful!

(That's the standard disclaimer if you brew for a 'living' or give away SCOBYs, kinda like the not using organic tea bag, JIC you get the rare mold spore on it....)

#36 of 54 Old 10-08-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenabyte View Post
Moneca, when you move back to Colorado, come look me up We can brew, cook and hang

The half hot, add cold water brew is a nifty short cut, but just be sure the cool water is sterile, that's the point of boiling it all. I'm sure it'd be fine if you are using spring or distilled/filtered water from a clean jug...just be careful!

(That's the standard disclaimer if you brew for a 'living' or give away SCOBYs, kinda like the not using organic tea bag, JIC you get the rare mold spore on it....)

I will. I've been so homesick since we moved away two years ago that I get just silly at the thought of actually coming back.
So since I use Ozarka Spring water (until I get land far enough out to have my own well, I should still continue to boil the whole 3 quarts? Oh, the KT from the scoby you just sent is almost done and is delicious! Many thanks!
#37 of 54 Old 10-08-2006, 05:21 PM

Tomorrow is day 6/7 and I'm so eager to have my 'weekly' big glass of fresh kombucha! I usually keep my levels lower through the week, and tend towards kefirs, then 'indulge' on brew up days on the kombucha...

I'm happy to hear you are liking the flavor! This was a 'cool and rainy' week here, and yet my SCOBYs formed really well. I think I read that cool, long slow brewing helps the flavor of the kombucha develop more depth. I definitely notice a 'crisp fall apple' type tinge when it isn't as hot in the kitchen! Maybe it's just my imagination, but my favorite 'weekly brews' have been when the weather was cooler!
#38 of 54 Old 10-08-2006, 05:59 PM

ah...fall in the CO...I miss it...I am a Co baby too...lol
#39 of 54 Old 10-10-2006, 03:14 PM

Heather,
Is there any way to know if you killed the bacterial component of your scoby by using flavored tea? I have been using St. Dalfour organic golden mango green tea. I sent a note to the company to find out if the mango flavouring was just mango oil. Can continuing to brew with black tea bring back the bacteria or should I just use a new scoby?

Thanks,
#40 of 54 Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 PM

According to the info on Laurel Farms (Betsy Pryor), she says once your have killed off your bacterial components, or severly compromised them (so maybe you only have a few of the bacteria strains, and not all that normally live there) you can not get them back.

She suggests using a new SCOBY. She says that this is why she's so 'nit picky' about how to brew it, incase someone inherits a SCOBY from you, and they have a serious illness they are trying to treat/assist with Kombucha, then they won't get all the benefits of a full spectrum bacterial component SCOBY brewed Kombucha. It might still taste ok or good, but it's not the same.

That's about what I know on it, unless you have access to a lab that can/will test and knows what to look for.

Unfortunately, wild yeasts are much easier to 'collect' and flourish in your SCOBY than bacterias, at least the bacterias you WANT in it!

Another thing, after doing some more research on caffeine in the brew, you DEFINITELY want to use the normal green tea or black tea with caffeine, as it specifically helps to form other chemical compounts that help the bacterial components, and they 'use it up', which accounts for drastic caffeine content drop rates in tested kombucha brews. More on this later, I'm working on a Kombucha Brew/Faq that I'll post. Today is brew/ship day and I'm busy in the kitchen
#41 of 54 Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 PM

Thanks Heather!
#42 of 54 Old 10-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Xenabyte, or anyone ..... I have a question for you- I am thinking of doing another 10 day master cleanse, I have done in the past and like to do it but now I am trying to get pregnant with no luck after eight cycles. When you have done the master cleanse, do you feel it disturbs your cycle in any way? I am wondering if that will throw off one cycle or what. I do not have any weight to lose, I just think I may have a stomach ulcer and some toxins to get rid of in hopes to boost my chances. Any advice would be appreciated!
#43 of 54 Old 10-21-2006, 01:49 PM

Many have actually reported that it can bring on your cycle early, as that is also a means to 'eliminate' toxins for your body. So it's a 'total' cleansing.

I'd do it, and not worry, but use barrier BC or abstain until you are a week or two post cleanse and have had a chance to eat the suggested veggies and break the fast gently and thoroughly!

The mineral/vitamin content of the lemons is very potent, and 'sustaining' during the cleanse, but I'd add in some green drinks/fresh juiced stuff afterwards to rebuild your supplies afterwards, especially if TTC. You need to replenish your 'alkaline' stores after a cleanse, and green drinks are one great way to do it. (Eating lots of fresh green salads and good fats, like avocados, also).

Folks that get bad heartburn doing a cleanse, are usually 'depleted' in alkaline stores to help neutralize the 'acidic toxin' dumping....so if that ever happens, go to a juice fast with lots of greens in it, then you can more easily do a MC cleanse, and then return to more nutrient loaded drinks.

That and listening to your body are about all I could suggest for you, to help do it the best way. Just remember since you ARE TTC, you will need to make sure you replenish your body with good fats/proteins/micro-nutrients PRE-Pregnancy, for the best possible outcome and then maintain it once pregnant.

Good luck with the cleanse and TTC!
#44 of 54 Old 10-21-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_b View Post
Those of you that have had your amalgams removed, can you tell me how much it cost you? My dh really wants his gone, but we don't know if we can afford it.
My dh is having some old fillings removed for about $180 after our insurance, at a holistic dentist.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#45 of 54 Old 10-21-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Many have actually reported that it can bring on your cycle early, as that is also a means to 'eliminate' toxins for your body. So it's a 'total' cleansing.
That is really interesting and I have never seen this info anywhere. Do you remember where you read it? I had my cycle every three weeks for 20 years until about 3 or 4 months into my chelation and then bam every four weeks for the first time in my life. Very interesting!
Thanks for the scobies! I sent one home with my mom and she made her first batch today just hours after getting back in town. They loved my KT and are psyched about the possible detox effects. Also, your new instructions were great and so simple:!
#46 of 54 Old 10-22-2006, 02:34 PM

Heh, I figured I needed to retype the Kombucha info sheet, plus it cuts down on the paper...well, some. The pictures were nice, but I like the 'bullet style' and step by step for what to do!

There is a 'site' ( http://www.therawfoodsite.com/mastercleanse.htm) that the author (Peter Glickman) of the 'Lose weight, have more energy and be happier in 10 days' book maintains...(Basically a slightly updated MC forum).

MANY of the women that post on the forum he also has, say they notice there cycles come early while on the cleanse, then regulate.

I must say, I used to have LONG cycles, like 36-40 days between, but after the MC and such...when I got them back after DS 1 and 2, I was 28 days on the spot... But that's just my personal experience!

When I MC, I log on the forum and do the 'anyone else doing it' groups, and we give each other support, especially for those first 3 days when your body is converting and adjusting....
#47 of 54 Old 10-22-2006, 04:07 PM

Thank you. I'll check it out.
#48 of 54 Old 06-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Bringing this thread back to life as because of it I am thinking of trying kombucha while breastfeeding my 7 month old. I feel like I need it, as does a friend who wants to give me what I need to start. First though I am going to try some from the health food store. I love tea as is anyway. LOL

Has anyone else started while BFing and it all gone well? I do plan on drinking a ton of water.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#49 of 54 Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 AM

I just started slow (about 4 oz. a day) and worked my way up. I currently drink about 32 oz. a day. I think my son was 7 mo and exclusively breastfed when I started. I just watched both of us closely.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#50 of 54 Old 06-22-2008, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Has anyone else started while BFing and it all gone well? I do plan on drinking a ton of water.
A friend started drinking kombucha a few years ago when her twins were around a year old and started noticing some scary symptoms in them. She didn't realize how mercury toxic she was (and by extension, they were). I wouldn't have realized how mercury toxic I was during my first pregnancy, it took longer to get obvious symptoms that something was seriously awry with my health. There's a time and place for just about everything, but I don't think starting kombucha during pregnancy or nursing is the best way to go.
#51 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonberi View Post
Thanks, desertpenguin and mama_b! Do you make your kombucha with decaf tea, or regular?
Hello
Kombucha needs the sugar and caffeine to grow a healthy culture. The good thing is, that when the tea is just right, almost all of the caffeine and sugar has been used up by the growing culture.

If you take away the caffeine you are growing something a bit different than a Kombucha culture.
#52 of 54 Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Well, I still feel good about the kombucha, because I /do/ do green chlorella filled drinks, which specifically sponge up and eliminate mercury...

Will my BFing 32-month-old son get the same benefits from the chlorella?

_________
Christine: Wife of 17+ years to a pretty spectacular dude and mom to two wild and crazy guys (4 YO and 2 YO).:
#53 of 54 Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonberi View Post
I was wondering about the temperature thing, as well. I just made my first batch of tea the other night, and it still seemed quite hot after 1 3/4 hrs. I hope I didn't hurt my new SCOBY!
I set my hot tea to cool in a sink full of cold water, it shortens the cooling time a lot.
#54 of 54 Old 10-16-2008, 02:35 PM

Before I was pregnant I was drinking alot of kombucha and didn't notice any signs of detox- my armpits have always been on the not so fresh side so this was not a good indicator for me.

Then once I was pregnant I slowed down and have since stopped. Not that I was planning on stoppng but it just happened, busy with HS stuff and life, etc.

I now want to drink it again because I have a lot of it, it's just sitting in my fridge not doing a darn thing and well, I miss it!!

Would it be a good idea to pick it back up again or should I just wait and drink it once the babe is born?

My diet is fairly clean but, I do have the occassional meal of crap - darn pregnancy cravings!!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page