Sourdough bread not rising... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-04-2006, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its been sitting on the counter for 5+ hours and it didn't rise a bit. Is there anything I can do at this point? DD#1 is going to wake up in half hour ready to shape the bread. I guess I can always just bake it and see what happens...(brick hard I'm sure!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-05-2006, 08:59 PM

did you bake your bread? how did it turn out? i've noticed that our apartment never is warm enough for our sourdough to rise (even when the thermometer reads about 75 degrees, our kitchen is just cold i guess.) when it's warm out i put it on the backporch covered with a wet tea towel. you can also put it in your oven with the temp set on about 100, which also helps a lot to get the yeast active.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#3 of 5 Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 PM

I found this site pretty helpful. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/lessons/sourdough

The first couple of loaves after first catching the yeast were all fairly flat for me, but it also depends on whether you're trying to use whole wheat vs white, I split the starter into a white and a ww one and the white rises a lot faster.
#4 of 5 Old 10-05-2006, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

I baked the bread and it was dense but semi okay. We shaped it into little animals so that probably helped a little (instead of getting a brick).
And yes, it was WW & barley flour. So I guess I'll give this one more try.
#5 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 12:34 AM

oh whole wheat is harder to sour because of the level of phytates in them, but it can be done. it just requires extra attention..warmth, etc. i decided to switch my sourdough from wheat to spelt, which is lower on the glycemic scale and has fewer phytates so it's easier to sour. i don't know how barley flour goes on the level of phytates. anyways, i hope your next loaf turns out better, maybe put the dough in a warmed oven to help it rise a bit.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page