the "other species don't drink milk after infancy" argument - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francy View Post
I've always believed that if cows could only figure out how to make brie, they certainly would!

#32 of 41 Old 10-06-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
I don't get why you would ask. If you're comfortable with what you are doing, stick with it.
Well, I'm thinking she's asking simply because it is an interesting topic of discussion. I never really understood the argument either, so I enjoy reading other's thoughts on the matter.

An interesting thing to think about is, what is [really] motivating each side of the argument? Why do some organizations (or individuals) care enough about the issue to want to persuade people to consume/not consume dairy? (Which, it should go without saying, isn't what anyone in this thread is trying to do. We're just discussing an interesting topic.)

On the "don't-drink-it-beyond-infancy" side, I can imagine one arguing this based on general beliefs that we should be vegetarians (animal cruelty issues). This would seem to be the strongest motivator for "that side" of the debate. But there is also the motivation to "spread the word" about something that has worked for oneself. So, people who have enjoyed great health upon giving up dairy are motivated to encourage others to do the same. [The "missing enzymes" argument mentioned in earlier threads is interesting, but it somehow doesn't seem powerful enough (in an emotional way) to be the driving force behind an anti-dairy movement.]

On the "raw-milk-is-healing" side, we also see the desire to "spread the word" about something that one believes is beneficial. (Is that the motivation of the Weston Price Org?.) Or, one associated with the dairy industry would obviously be motivated to encourage milk consumption.

Just interesting stuff to ponder. Anyone have any other thoughts about motivation?

Off to go eat my rabbits poop.

Oops. Did I just say that out loud?
#33 of 41 Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilibarra View Post
As for humans not being made for milk consumption, couldn't we simply go back to the omnivore debate vs. herbivore?
Btw, i had tried for years to increase my health with vitamins and fresh produce, but never a raw diet so to speak. The raw milk and grassfed meat has improved my eyes quite a bit. they even look bluer.
My vegan friends looked very unhealthy and stunk bad, in all kinds of ways.
And they ate better than anyone i know. I was very anemic, though i was a vegetarian. Everytime i went to the doctor, my body showed signs of malnourishment and i would get a lecture on how to eat, though i was pretty strict. That being said, people can live off of milk alone, with meat and that's it, and be fine.
I have to : because for years on and off (i would always crave dairy and meat while pregnant and indulge those cravings) of being vegan and vegetarian I would get better at first, lose weight, detox, but then my health would start going downhill. No matter how I tried to feel better with supplements etc. My teeth, my energy levels, my skin was pale looking and sickly looking.
#34 of 41 Old 10-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Banned

to the issue of those who are on milk/meat diets, look only as far as sub saharan africa and the maasai and samburu people who subsist on milk, blood, and meat and only a few root vegetables a couple of times a year.

they're healthy, strong people who live relatively long lives, considering how they live (traditionally).
#35 of 41 Old 10-06-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
I know my cat is pretty happy to drink milk when he can get it.
My parent's dog will steal raw goat milk when my sister milks every chance he can get! So I agree that it may just be lack of opportunity and opposable thumbs...

Then again, domestic dogs will eat all sorts of strange things...

Just a thought- some wild animals DO eat milk on occasion. What about eating small lactating mammals whole? And (somewhat unrelated) even grass eating animals aren't vegetarians... they eat insects and insect eggs along with the grass.
#36 of 41 Old 10-07-2006, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
They certainly ARE healthy, strong, slim, and striking, and surprisingly, about 60% of them are lactose-intolerant according to some study on them that I saw online. Yet they do fine on dairy. It must have to do with the condition of the milk itself. P & H milk makes me feel constipated, but raw milk, or even good-quality pasteurized milk is okay for me to drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
to the issue of those who are on milk/meat diets, look only as far as sub saharan africa and the maasai and samburu people who subsist on milk, blood, and meat and only a few root vegetables a couple of times a year.

they're healthy, strong people who live relatively long lives, considering how they live (traditionally).

#37 of 41 Old 10-07-2006, 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=aprilibarra;6205122My vegan friends looked very unhealthy and stunk bad, in all kinds of ways.
And they ate better than anyone i know. I was very anemic, though i was a vegetarian. Everytime i went to the doctor, my body showed signs of malnourishment and i would get a lecture on how to eat, though i was pretty strict. That being said, people can live off of milk alone, with meat and that's it, and be fine.[/QUOTE]
O.K. this is the second time in the last month I've read about people on veg diets stinking. Isn't this more than likely from the detoxing that their body is doing? Just curious.
#38 of 41 Old 10-08-2006, 12:01 AM

Is this really true? I was at the zoo this summer and seriously think I remember seeing a mother gorilla nursing her young gorilla. And the sign specified the age of the young gorilla as 4 years old. I remember being really surprised. It was so cute to watch too, the young gorilla was doing the all too familiar "toddler gymnastics" on mom as it nursed. Dad was sleeping at the other side of the pen.
#39 of 41 Old 10-08-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
O.K. this is the second time in the last month I've read about people on veg diets stinking. Isn't this more than likely from the detoxing that their body is doing? Just curious.
I dunno, it seems like anytime someone has a reaction on these veg diets people say that, but it seems like their bodies are having a meltdown. Of course there are those that could be detoxing if they're switching from the SAD to veg. but I don't know what's up for those on the diet for years and still smelling, shall we say, ripe. And it seems these are the very people likely to use patchouli essential oil in their armpits! The b.o.-magnifying oil supreme!

#40 of 41 Old 10-08-2006, 12:59 PM

Chicharronita, I like the name.

Well, I do like patchouli so it was the only good smell on them. But, they had been eating like that for years, and it was like they oozed stink from eating lots of garlic, curry and spice. My boyfriend was also one of these and he stunk so bad when he went on the diet I couldn't stand being close. I also ate curry but it didn't seem to offend anyone or anything and peopel often said I smelled good, though I was a heavy smoker. We were close to these people and their sweat was awful, their breath and their gas was noxious, filling the whole house. There was always beano around.
#41 of 41 Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilibarra View Post
We were close to these people and their sweat was awful, their breath and their gas was noxious, filling the whole house. There was always beano around.
Do we know the same people?

A month after being on a low carb diet, my digestion was so wonderful, and I had ZERO flatulence problems. However, lately I've been experimenting with adding a small amount of sprouted whole wheat bread back into my diet, and the gas has come back. I have a feeling that even eating properly prepared carbs (i.e., soaking in acidic solution before cooking) doesn't take away all the gas-producing effects, although it's definitely an improvement over eating them non-soaked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page