Anybody else totally freaked out by soy? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 12-15-2006, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I think soy is bad news when it's used as a staple food instead of as a condiment. I mean, even in Asia where soy foods originated it's not used as a staple, but as a condiment.
That's true. In Japan in the 70s, people eating the traditional way would mainly have two to three bowls of miso before meals with about three tiny pieces of tofu in it, soy sauce as a condiment, some veggies fermented in a tub of miso, and strangely enough, edamame was a bar snack that you could have during the summer, again in a small bowl, about a cup or so's worth. Now the evil soy industry (lol, I love saying that) has influenced the availability of other non-traditional soy products like fake soy meats and other non-foods.

In addition, many were pretty happy to eat red meat if they could afford it, and drink milk if they weren't lactose-intolerant.

#62 of 66 Old 12-15-2006, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merilin View Post
Also, I read this article a couple weeks back, about how we all are genetically different and therefore need different foods. So, a healthy diet for a Japanese compared to a Brazilian compared to an Australian compared to a Pakistani campared to a European etc. can be quiet different. The first thing comes to mind, are Laktoseintolerance and Alcoholintolerance which are quiet different for different people around the world; and I am certain similar things are true for other foods.

Thus, I would not condem soy, but use it in moderation, and if one has problems with it, I would suggest avoiding it, but keeping in mind, that the same problems you have don't have to occurr to your neighbor.
I think that's generally true, but I *am* Asian, and soy caused me all kinds of problems in large amounts. Maybe if I had stuck to the traditionally-consumed amounts, I would have been okay.

Did you know the majority of the Masai, who consume the anti-recommended diet composed largely of meat, blood, and milk, are lactose-intolerant? Yet they have no symptoms, probably because the milk is raw.

#63 of 66 Old 12-15-2006, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynde View Post
I eat humongous amounts of soy and have no problems with period, cramps, glycemia , any of it. you go to another forum and you will here about the dangers of milk or corn or whatever we are eating in large amounts. I do agree that the healthiest diet is one of diversity and lots of whole foods but I have seen no negative health effect for me personally and I love soy products.
Way to pull up an old post! I love how posts like this will die down and then reappear a few months down the road. Seriously folks if you love soy that much then very clearly this is not the right forum for you. I also hate to break it to you, but we've made our non-soy consuming and meat/dairy consuming choices very carefully so it's entirely unlikely that you will convince us otherwise.

Quote:
Thus, I would not condem soy, but use it in moderation, and if one has problems with it, I would suggest avoiding it, but keeping in mind, that the same problems you have don't have to occurr to your neighbor.
The same could be said of you. If you have no problems consuming soy please don't assume that others will have the same experience as you. Anecdotal evidence is the same on both sides whether we agree with you or not.

Oh...and as to eating according to your ancestry...around here we would tend to agree with that - we just don't think that ever means eating truckloads of soy.

this thread always tickles me!
#64 of 66 Old 12-15-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamered_mom View Post
The same could be said of you. If you have no problems consuming soy please don't assume that others will have the same experience as you. Anecdotal evidence is the same on both sides whether we agree with you or not.
I did not mean to imply that, both ways around works for me. I did not mean to encourage people to heat truckloads of soy, but I also think, that for most people totally avoiding it is not necassary either.

Quote:
Oh...and as to eating according to your ancestry...around here we would tend to agree with that - we just don't think that ever means eating truckloads of soy.
I agree with you Maybe the idea of food and genetic depositions was just new and fascinating to me.
#65 of 66 Old 12-15-2006, 03:41 PM

Soy doesn't freak me out. Processed foods do.

We go through two tubs of tofu per month. We use some soy sauce.

We are whole foods vegetarian. We eat lots of bean and grain dishes, all soaked, of course.

I have a hard time getting raw milk - there's one farmer in my area with only 15 cows, so it's pretty competitive. Of course organic raw milk is my top choice, but sometimes I have to consider alternatives. We sometimes do drink some soymilk to balance out our ultrapasturized homogenized organic milk. Moderation is key.

Aven
#66 of 66 Old 12-15-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I did not mean to imply that, both ways around works for me. I did not mean to encourage people to heat truckloads of soy, but I also think, that for most people totally avoiding it is not necassary either.
I can conditionally agree to this statement, but only in the following ways:

1. No thyroid issues in your family.

2. Soy is consumed with an eye towards "whole bean" or "fremented" forms. This would NOT include any faux meat products, TVP (which is really just another way to use up "waste" from the industrial processing systems/commodity crops), or soy oil.

3. When consumed the soybeans have been treated properly to break down the phytic acid since the bean is incredibly low in phytase.

4. Soy is consumed as an occassional item and limited only to a few times a month.

Seriously....there are so many other foods out there that give a better nutritional bang for their buck without the phytoestrogen and phytic acid complications.

Quote:
I agree with you Maybe the idea of food and genetic depositions was just new and fascinating to me.
Hang around here for awhile and you'll see discussions like this taking place. Even better...do a search b/c I know there has been a thread like this fairly recently.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page