how long does water kefir keep in the fridge? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-06-2006, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've made a couple of batches of water kefirs in the past week and now we are going to be gone for a week. Will they still be good when we get back (they're in the fridge)?
#2 of 4 Old 10-07-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

bump
#3 of 4 Old 10-07-2006, 12:58 PM

Yes, once the grains are removed and you bottle/store it. I would say it's fine for up to several weeks. It might get more tart, it might get alot more fizzy....or could taste more 'flat'...depending on what you used, but it's safe if refrigerated.

I WOULD SUGGEST CAUTION when opening tightly sealed containers...you might get some super carbonation build up, depending on the sugar content of the particular brew when you put it up...

I once wore purple grape kefir after a few days refrigeration..hehe...so use caution!

Enjoy your trip!

OH, for storing the grains. Put them in a LARGE glass container, double or triple the sugar (use rapadura or succanant if you can) and add in extra water and leave them on the counter at room temp. To allow for 'gasses' cover with a cloth and secure with rubber band top, rather than an actual lid. This will keep them happily brewing for the week. Supposedly you can store this set up in the refrigerator, but I think they stay happiest at room temp.
Connie Fletcher likes this.
#4 of 4 Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Just out of curiosity...how did you make grape water kefir?  Grape juice?  I am kind of a newbie......thanks for any help you can give me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page