tropical traditions co vs. nutiva ... why the huge price difference? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can anyone shed some light on this ... we've been buying Tropical Traditions OVCO for $50 for 1 gal (2 lbs.) and that's with the member price where you have to buy a case. But Nutiva OVCO is much cheaper - $13.99 for 15 oz., which means if I bought it through Frontier co-op I could get it for $8.39 for 15 oz which is equivalent to approx. $17.00 for 32 oz. What am I missing here ~ that's no comparison .. $50 vs. $17?

They're comparable as far as quality, right? Any other differences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 12:50 AM

None that I've found and I prefer the Nutiva (although Garden of Life's is the BEST.)
Old 10-07-2006, 01:30 AM

I think Tropical Traditions is just expensive. There are actual differences between the different CO's, though--TT uses a fermentation process and so their CO has a different taste which some people dislike (so I've heard, I haven't tried it). Nutiva is non-fermented CO. They're both good, just different. (TT may carry both types of CO on their website, I can't remember.)

Oh, and if you don't mind mail order you can get a 54 oz jar of Nutiva for $20.99 from www.vitacost.com. They have a flat $4.99 shipping fee. I figured it worked out to $55/gallon if you order 3 jars at a time.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:46 PM

oops-Caedmyn's right. There is a difference. I just prefer Nutiva to the TT. IT tastes soapy to me after having others. Not as soapy as Spectrum, but soapy nonetheless.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I think Tropical Traditions is just expensive. There are actual differences between the different CO's, though--TT uses a fermentation process and so their CO has a different taste which some people dislike (so I've heard, I haven't tried it). Nutiva is non-fermented CO. They're both good, just different. (TT may carry both types of CO on their website, I can't remember.)

Oh, and if you don't mind mail order you can get a 54 oz jar of Nutiva for $20.99 from www.vitacost.com. They have a flat $4.99 shipping fee. I figured it worked out to $55/gallon if you order 3 jars at a time.
ooh thanks so much for this info!!! I am about out..I have been getting it at Wild Oats for (32oz) about $17.99
Old 10-07-2006, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

okay, I know I'm missing something here, just not sure what ....:

at the Nutiva website they are selling the 54 oz. for $29.99 and the 1 gallon for $59.99 ... to compare to TT I looked on the front of my 1 gallon pail (which I paid $50 for) and it said 2 lbs., which would be 32 oz, right?

But apparantely that's not right because the 54 oz. Nutiva is selling for a lot less than the gallon ... so are these different measurements ... ugh, I feel really stupid right now, what am I missing??
Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 PM

There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon.

User Tag List