sourdough bread recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all!

I'm looking for a soughdough bread recipe. I already have my soughdough starter (whole wheat flour+water).

I don't want to use yeast, just my starter, nor do I want to use oil. I have whole wheat flour and oat flour. (And will buy other kinds of flour this weekend.)

Any slow-rising recipes out there? I like Christina Pirello's recipe but I returned the book to the library.

Also, I'd love to know a recipe for focaccia bread, using my starter...

Thanks for your help!
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 10:45 PM

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/ has a few recipes, and i love this faq page: http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughqa.html

suse
Old 04-12-2003, 12:45 AM

When I have a starter to use, here's what I do:

Take a cup of starter (less for a less "sour" bread), and mix it with 1.5 c. or so of water. Start adding flour a cup or so at a time, and throw in a teaspoon or so of salt. Knead until it feels right, let rise, etc. etc. I might put in a little butter, oil, or milk because I like a little fat in my bread & the sugar in milk promotes browning. Oh, if you do add milk, be sure to scald it first. I forget the reason now, but it's valid.

When the dough is ready, bake at around 375-400 degrees until the loaf sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom. If you have a pizza stone, bake your bread directly on it for a nice chewy crust.

Make sure to feed your starter, too - if you take out a cup, put in 1/2 c. each of flour and water.

Now you've got me thinking about getting a starter going again. If only DD would consent to being set down long enough for me to throw together a loaf of bread!
Old 05-14-2003, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hi again, I'm hoping someone can help me. I've made sourdough bread with starter (Christina Pirello's recipe)--whole wheat flour, salt, water. But the bread is so hard.

Any ideas for making it softer so my husband will eat the bread too?

Thanks!

User Tag List