How safe is sprouted wheat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 13 Old 10-15-2006, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
twins10705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading on the dangers of wheat lately, at the same time realizing how much we eat it! We eat sprouted wheat bread every day...probably go through 3 loaves per week. We also eat sprouted wheat pasta -- seems like a lot of wheat. Sometimes I end up eating bread 3X per day. Ideally, I'd be making my own sourdough I know, but I'm just not there yet.
twins10705 is offline  
#2 of 13 Old 10-15-2006, 01:26 PM
 
saratc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When grains sprout, their properties change -- the nutritional content, everything. The sprouts get digested more as a veggy than a grain. I think the main issues with wheat are with unsoaked and unsprouted wheat.
saratc is offline  
#3 of 13 Old 10-15-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
twins10705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
When grains sprout, their properties change -- the nutritional content, everything. The sprouts get digested more as a veggy than a grain. I think the main issues with wheat are with unsoaked and unsprouted wheat.

I guess I'm just wondering since I am buying this stuff premade from Trader Joe's and the HFS...with the sprouted wheat bread they do use yeast to make it, so doesn't that make it only "halfway-NT" if that is possible?
twins10705 is offline  
#4 of 13 Old 10-15-2006, 07:23 PM
 
Gale Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nestled in the Sierras
Posts: 5,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A sourdough, sprouted bread would be the gold standard. Since I haven't found that in the stores, I go for the sourdough or the sprouted.

For home baking, I think sprouting is a bit much because the phytates break down very quickly in ground grain that is soaked. So I think sourdough is the best for home baking if you need to manage your kitchen time. If you have time to sprout and then do sourdough, more power to you.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Gale Force is offline  
#5 of 13 Old 10-15-2006, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
twins10705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks...that confirms what I was thinking/hoping.
twins10705 is offline  
#6 of 13 Old 10-15-2006, 09:13 PM
 
saratc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If just worrying about phytic acid, either soaking or sprouting would neutralize the acid, which would make the grain perfectly "NT". Of course, anything that's further fermented such as in making sourdough would help the digestibility of the food. NT does advocate fermented foods, since some people who are gluten intolerant or have an otherwise intolerance towards a certain grain may be able to tolerate a sourdough since the fermentation process breaks down and predigests the grain.
saratc is offline  
#7 of 13 Old 10-16-2006, 12:23 AM
 
mamaMAMAma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: home, where my heart is
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a little confused. What do you call mixing the flour, water and yeast and letting it stand overnight before you add in the rest of the ingredients? Is that more like sourdough?
And sprouting is if you soak the grain, dehydrate it and then grind it?
Just want to get my terminology straight here...
mamaMAMAma is offline  
#8 of 13 Old 10-16-2006, 02:01 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get Ezekiel 4:9 or the Trader Joe's equivalent sprouted mult grains We eat this on a nearly daily basis so we get a good mix of grains...I figure this is a good way to balance out wheat intake.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

nicolelynn is offline  
#9 of 13 Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 AM
 
saratc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
I'm a little confused. What do you call mixing the flour, water and yeast and letting it stand overnight before you add in the rest of the ingredients? Is that more like sourdough?
And sprouting is if you soak the grain, dehydrate it and then grind it?
Just want to get my terminology straight here...
Yes, sourdough is made by letting the flour, water, and yeast sit for one day or longer. Any time you let the yeast sit with the flour and water before cooking, the yeast starts working on and predigesting the flour.

Soaking grains neutralizes the phytates, but soaking does not equal sprouting. You usually do soak grains before sprouting, but with sprouting, after the soaking process, you usually drain and rinse and let sit for a few days while misting or rinsing periodically until the grains/seeds germinate.

A lot of great things happen when a seed germinates since it is going from a dormant phase into a phase that is supposed to support the growth of a new plant. Many grains increase their E and B vitamin as well as protein content substantially during the sprouting process. Also, the sprouts are full of enzymes that start the chemical process of creating a new developing plant, which can help with digestion.
saratc is offline  
#10 of 13 Old 10-16-2006, 11:35 PM
*Di
 
*Di's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had been planning on starting to bake my own sourdough, but it sounds like sprouted bread is a lot more nutritious ?

Maybe I'll alternate - make some sourdough and buy some Ezeikel too
*Di is offline  
#11 of 13 Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 PM
 
mamaMAMAma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: home, where my heart is
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
Yes, sourdough is made by letting the flour, water, and yeast sit for one day or longer. Any time you let the yeast sit with the flour and water before cooking, the yeast starts working on and predigesting the flour.

Soaking grains neutralizes the phytates, but soaking does not equal sprouting. You usually do soak grains before sprouting, but with sprouting, after the soaking process, you usually drain and rinse and let sit for a few days while misting or rinsing periodically until the grains/seeds germinate.

A lot of great things happen when a seed germinates since it is going from a dormant phase into a phase that is supposed to support the growth of a new plant. Many grains increase their E and B vitamin as well as protein content substantially during the sprouting process. Also, the sprouts are full of enzymes that start the chemical process of creating a new developing plant, which can help with digestion.
I'll continue to buy sprouted bread then and soak the grains when I bake at home. Thanks so much!
mamaMAMAma is offline  
#12 of 13 Old 10-17-2006, 10:38 AM
 
Sharondio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found some sprouted sourdough from Alvarado's Bakery! YAY!!! I'm so not the baker, so I was happy to find this for DD's lunches and the occasional piece of toast I enjoy.
Sharondio is offline  
#13 of 13 Old 10-17-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
twins10705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharondio View Post
I just found some sprouted sourdough from Alvarado's Bakery! YAY!!! I'm so not the baker, so I was happy to find this for DD's lunches and the occasional piece of toast I enjoy.
That is the brand I buy -- the best tasting IMO.
twins10705 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off