Sauerkraut and mold... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-16-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made a batch of sauerkraut and used the baggie method to keep the seal on the top of the crock. It had said to put a clean cloth on the top and then a layer of plastic wrap. The method I used then said to leave it entirely for a month without peeking . Of course when I opened it there was a layer of white and a little bit of light grey black mold on the cloth and on the tops of the baggies. When I took the baggies out, there was no mold on the kraut.... only on the inside of the crock about 3 inches above the kraut. The kraut is an awesome colour and crisp and really tart and yummy.... How do I know that it is safe to eat?

:
#2 of 4 Old 10-16-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I tasted it ... it is the most delicious batch of sauerkraut I have ever tasted! Please dont tell me I have to throw it out!!!! I had a small bowl full ... and put some in a little baggie just in case I end up in the hospital and they need a sample or somthing...LOL

:
#3 of 4 Old 10-16-2006, 08:51 PM

No, don't throw it out. The mold is common, according to Sandor Katz (he of Wild Fermentation fame). Just skim it all off and enjoy.
#4 of 4 Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

It was so freakin good! I really am having to control myself to not have a big bowl! I want to wait 24 hours to see if I feel fine! The cloth had a pinkish tinge to it... but it didn't touch anything but the top of the baggies... the sauerkraut didnt have any pink which is good.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page