Struggling with the milk concept (raw or otherwise) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So before starting to learn about traditional foods, I was reading Dr Jay Gordon's website (re vaxes) and started reading about nutrition there as well. He basically says to avoid dairy and lists milk, butter and cheese as "dangerous foods." He says cheese is worse than candy and that butter carries the most pollutants because many pollutants are fat-loving, fat-soluble chemicals.

Below are a couple links to these sections.

http://drjaygordon.com/development/p...icks/dairy.asp
http://drjaygordon.com/development/n....asp#Dangerous

I have to say, I feel like he (and the research he quotes) makes compelling arguments. I am conflicted though because traditional foods make sense to me (and I would miss cheese!).

Can anyone help me work through this? I suspect I need to get ahold of The Untold Story of Milk (not to mention lots of other books), but in the meantime what are your thoughts?

As a personal aside, WHY does there have to be compelling research on both sides of every issue? WHY can't it be easy?!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
He basically says to avoid dairy and lists milk, butter and cheese as "dangerous foods." He says cheese is worse than candy and that butter carries the most pollutants because many pollutants are fat-loving, fat-soluble chemicals.
Yet another good reason to get organic, grassfed sources for your dairy products. I'm sure others will have much more lengthy discussions for you, but in a nutshell that's my thought process.

To quote others here "Know your source".
Old 10-16-2006, 11:23 PM

I do not know how someone could say cheese is worse than candy. : If you are buying the good cheese (grassfed/organic/raw) how can that be worse then candy? It is a real food with vitamins and minerals. Read about the health of the Isolated Swiss when you get your books (Nutrition and Physuical Degeneration). They had a lot of real dairy products.

(As a formeer vegan)I struggle with the "meat is healthy" issue myself...like I said...still deprogramming!Some research I am doing for myself is making it easier to eat!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 10-16-2006, 11:25 PM

Remember when you read bad stuff about animal products that they are talking about modern ones. Not the ones that NT recommends.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Remember when you read bad stuff about animal products that they are talking about modern ones. Not the ones that NT recommends.
:

i think that most of the research that shows dairy is bad is probably related to the pasteurization and homogenization of milk. i was like you, and had a really hard time accepting that dairy could be healthy. i still question it, but tried my first glass of raw milk yesterday.

when i read NT, it just made alot of sense to me, so i decided i would try it, see how it affected me, and if i felt good, great. if i didn't, then i didn't have to continue with it. and i am still of the mind that humans DON'T need to consume dairy, and most likely were not meant to, but i have modified my opinion in that now i think if you can tolerate dairy, and it makes you feel good, then it can be a healthy dietary decision. but i do think it should be either raw and/or cultured/fermented, and i also think that most people can be healthy without it.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 10-17-2006, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for your replies - sorry it took me so long to get back - lost internet connection last night.

It helps to come here and get perspective on these issues. I tend to start obsessing!

Points well made about the grassfed and organic. Wouldn't it be nice if non-organic foods were just labeled "filled with pesticides" or "fed corn and antibiotics"?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:44 PM

So true.

User Tag List