Not happy with my weight!!!! TF guidance please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 11-11-2006, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really I am not at a healthy weight. I am becoming so discouraged . After the birth of my second child I never loss all the weight from that pregnancy (plus I was overweight prior to pregnancy). So heres my question: for those of you who have lost weight doing traditional foods, how did you do it? How did you manage your carbs? Did you stop eating them or eat only a certain amount? What are some ways did you manage sweet cravings/hunger. My dh says all I need to do is hit the gym (which of course would help) but I think the biggest issue is with food. Any and all suggestions are truly appreciated. Thanks, Nikki
(p.s. I've been following NT for about 2 months and haven't gained weight, although at times I not always eating NT .
#2 of 69 Old 11-11-2006, 11:50 AM

and

:
#3 of 69 Old 11-11-2006, 12:10 PM

This is what has worked for me and is still working:
cut out all sugar ( also honey, and other natural sugars, I use erythritol to sweeten my tea in the mornings)
no or very few grains ( I eat a little rice now and again)
plenty of (traditional) fat. This is what keeps you satisfied.
As many veggies as I can eat, lots of salads ( with blue cheese dressing, yum) and fermented veggies too...
I dont drink calories either, I use milk in cooking but never drink it by the glass,

It is pretty simple and I think that is what is helping me the most. i dont have to count anything and eat when i am hungry. I basically just stay away from grain and sugar...

Good luck...I know its hard

Tanya
#4 of 69 Old 11-11-2006, 12:15 PM

I know several of the ladies here are following Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig so hopefully they'll chime in. The gist of it is to take a tablespoon of coconut oil 20-30 mins before each meal to curb how much you each. The coconut oil will increase your metabolism too so it helps you lose weight as well. I've also heard not to eat nuts if you are trying to lose weight since they have the wrong kind of fats in them to lose weight. I'm following this plan losely and had no trouble dropping the first 10 pounds. Now I'm sort of at a stand still. One thing that does help is making time to eat breakfast. When I don't eat breakfast, I start gaining weight back.

Kim
#5 of 69 Old 11-11-2006, 01:04 PM

The NT eating and the coconut oil really helped with the baby weight, but between kids 1 and 2 the only thing that got off that weight creep was the gym.

I bit the bullet and paid for a package of sessions from the personal trainer and it was the thing that finally worked (probably because she gave me the right exercises to do and I motivated me to show up). Going to the gym or doing an exercise tape would probably work almost as well. I just wasn't feeling very self-motivated.

Also, if you are nursing, when babe slows down or weans you may find yourself less hungry and naturally losing some weight as well. If so, be patient and realize these things take some time. (one of my mantras)

-Kelly (who needs to break out that postpartum yoga tape)
#6 of 69 Old 11-12-2006, 12:14 AM

I'm having the same trouble. I stopped drinking milk unless I was replacing a snack with it. I find that any sugars and any grains cause me to gain. but what baffles me is that this was NOT a problem for me about 6 mos ago. it was like suddenly overnight I became carb sensitive. lots and lots of issues with candida, allergies, rashes, itchiness and what not. and I'm craving carbs and sweet SO much. arg.

I find I feel best when I stick with animals fats and veggies. even cheese bothers me to some degree unless it's completely raw. I'm very new to NT/TF so I haven't starts grain soaking yet. I'm just buying sproated breads for the time being - but I notice they still bloat me severly. after eating any carbs my entire stomache bloats severly and I gain weight everywhere. the next morning I'll feel full bloated and my clothes feel two size smaller!

lately I've been wondering why it seems everyone is complaining about candida and the like. surely this wasn't always a problem. perhaps a lifetime of crappy eating finally catches up with us? or perhaps is a parasite or something of that nature. I'm thinking of doing a 3 day detox or something to see if it helps. any ideas?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#7 of 69 Old 11-12-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
. I'm just buying sproated breads for the time being - but I notice they still bloat me severly. after eating any carbs my entire stomache bloats severly and I gain weight everywhere. the next morning I'll feel full bloated and my clothes feel two size smaller!
Are you sure you are not allergic to gluten? You seem to have all the signs...

Tanya ( also allergic to gluten...)
#8 of 69 Old 11-12-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
This is what has worked for me and is still working:
cut out all sugar ( also honey, and other natural sugars, I use erythritol to sweeten my tea in the mornings)
no or very few grains ( I eat a little rice now and again)
plenty of (traditional) fat. This is what keeps you satisfied.
As many veggies as I can eat, lots of salads ( with blue cheese dressing, yum) and fermented veggies too...
I dont drink calories either, I use milk in cooking but never drink it by the glass,

It is pretty simple and I think that is what is helping me the most. i dont have to count anything and eat when i am hungry. I basically just stay away from grain and sugar...

Good luck...I know its hard

Tanya
:
This is what I do and I feel like I can eat a lot and maintain a good weight. I don't count cals or anything either...stuff like that makes me crazy. Cutting the sugar can make a big difference. I lost 10 pouds in 1 month cutting out soda in college!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#9 of 69 Old 11-12-2006, 12:26 AM

I am gluten-intolerant and I would encourage you to try a gluten elimination. Bloating like you are describing is a sign of that. Just cutting that, you could drop the wter weight and bloat very quickly.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#10 of 69 Old 11-12-2006, 04:30 AM

Tcarwyn,

well I've just stayed away from grains as much as possible lately. but they sneak into food that I never think about. I've gotta look up gluten and figure out more about it. perhaps that would help.

I'm just baffled why this happened all of the sudden! allof the sudden I started having trouble wth consipation. never dealt with that my whole life and then boom... I was sensitive to carbs. the constipation stopped but the carb thing only got worse.

btw I just wanna throw out there that though the gym is useful, I really don't think it shouldn't be in replacement of outdoors time. NOTHING can replace or mimic the healthy rays of sun, Vit D, and the endorphins you get from being outdoors. if it all possible, when possible I try to get natural exercise. I talk a walk or sweep the porch or run around with the kids being goofy. This always makes me feel 100 times better than getting on the tread mill or eliptical. Sadly outrsociety isn't outdoors friendly and we get sucked into the idea of needing to buy time at a specialized exercise place in order to maintain health. (not to mention their hell to get out of if you ever have any financial or health (or both!) problems but that's a whole other thread! hehe let's just say i've learned my lesson the hard way!)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#11 of 69 Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hennypenny, try an enzyme formula meant for candida. They are usually full of cellulases and amylases to break down undigested matter in the gut. Even if yeast is not your problem, they will help.
#12 of 69 Old 11-12-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Tcarwyn,

well I've just stayed away from grains as much as possible lately. but they sneak into food that I never think about. I've gotta look up gluten and figure out more about it. perhaps that would help.

I'm just baffled why this happened all of the sudden! allof the sudden I started having trouble wth consipation. never dealt with that my whole life and then boom... I was sensitive to carbs. the constipation stopped but the carb thing only got worse.

Yap, gluten is in everything and you are going to have to be care full in the beginning ( if you are actually intolerant) with even very small amounts. No gluten and then heal your gut and then see how you feel.
Allergies are often accumulative. Up untill now you system was dealing with allegies, toxins etc but it has built up and now you are seeing symptoms (this is pretty common picture)

Tanya
#13 of 69 Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 AM

:
#14 of 69 Old 11-13-2006, 03:04 AM

i just wanted to chime in and agree with all the pps.
i myself and gluten sensitive and i can't eat so much as one silver dollar whole wheat pancake without feeling like i just ingested a mack truck. and oatmeal, which used to be my very best friend, is like pouring cement into my gut. also, over the last year, i managed to gain almost 40 pounds even though i didn't change my diet at all. when i finally figured out that the grains, no matter if they are whole, soaked, baked, boiled, or fried, were the issue, i cut them out along with sugar.

three weeks ago i also started taking coconut oil, 1T before each meal, and i have lost 10 pounds! i also made breakfast absolutely mandatory, even if it's just a small glass of raw milk and some peanut butter.

as for the constipation (i am a chronic sufferer), it is IMPERATIVE that you take in enough fiber! it's so easy to forget when you're not eating and whole grains. tons of veggies and a fiber supplement if necessary along with PLENTY of WATER will keep things moving. the coconut oil helps with this too.

i still don't have it all perfect yet, but i feel SO MUCH BETTER and....my pants are falling off. (which is an added bonus while ttc.)

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#15 of 69 Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesface View Post
three weeks ago i also started taking coconut oil, 1T before each meal, and i have lost 10 pounds! i also made breakfast absolutely mandatory, even if it's just a small glass of raw milk and some peanut butter.
wow thanks I totally didn't mean to steal this thread!!! sorry if I kinda highjacked it, Nikki98. I'm hoping you're finding this info as useful as I am!!

ok so I'm getting coconut oil ASAP. and I'm going to try that. I've been upping my good fats. today I reduced my grain intake a lot (didn't realize I had so much in my diet to begin with!) and sugar too and I feel a lot better. my stomache looks slightly flatter (It's going to take a few more days to see it looking it's normal chubby self b/c right now I'm looking not just chubby but 6 mos pregnant!!) I did give in a few times as we went out to eat for my mom's bday. but I still saw a huge change.

I'm sad about maybe giving up oatmeal! I LOVE oatmeal. I mean I LOVE it. it's like an obsession. it's been my best friend up until recently. perhaps if I cut out all other grains a bowl a few times a week wont hurt me.

does raw honey seem to bother people with carb sensitivities? I've not tried eating much of it, as I'm not big on just plain honey...

anyhow I'm super glad you started this thread as it's helping me quite a bit.

#16 of 69 Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I'm sad about maybe giving up oatmeal! I LOVE oatmeal. I mean I LOVE it. it's like an obsession. it's been my best friend up until recently. perhaps if I cut out all other grains a bowl a few times a week wont hurt me.

does raw honey seem to bother people with carb sensitivities? I've not tried eating much of it, as I'm not big on just plain honey...
I mentioned this some other place as well ( I think the Paleo thread) but very often people become actually addicted to foods they are allergic to. This has to do with adrenal hormones that get released if you are eating your allergen. They are somewhat like speed...So when people tell me that they just LOVE something that would add to a suspition of a food allergy. (In the clinic where I worked that was the standard question: what food do you not think you could do without...)

So if you are gluten intolerant or if you want to do an elimination diet to figure out if you are, you should not eat oats at all. It appears as though many people who are gluten intolerant can, after healing their gut, take some oats. The problem with oats is that they are often ( like always) contaminated with other gluten grains. I think you can buy certified gluten free oats online, for like $10 a pound ( sigh)

When you say "carb sensitive" do you mean having blood sugar issues? If you feel like you might have bloodsugar issues, raw honey is not going to make a difference. Its about the sugar hitting your blood stream, and how hard it is hitting it. You might want to look up a glycemic index. Things like sugar (honey, rapadura etc)and refined grains and frutis will raise your blood sugar quickest and have the quickest crash as well.

I feel that NT ( the book) actually does a bit of a disservice to people when it states that "natural" sugars are fine. They are better because they contain minerals etc...but as for blood sugar, it is just as bad as refined white sugar...

Tanya
#17 of 69 Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Good point Tcarywn about the`sugars. Even I thought that if the`sweetner is natural, it was much much better than white sugar. Also I'm finding the info about gluten helpful. It's just so sad that gluten and sugar are so addictive. Mostly eveyone in my moms family has a serious sweet tooth and a history of diabetes as well.
#18 of 69 Old 11-13-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
I feel that NT ( the book) actually does a bit of a disservice to people when it states that "natural" sugars are fine. They are better because they contain minerals etc...but as for blood sugar, it is just as bad as refined white sugar...
yes i have bloodsugar issues (hypoglycemic). and yes this is somethng that stood out to me as well. I take small issue with the fact that it's misleading to say honey/maple syrup is fine b/c it's natural. so is an orange, but it I ate just an orange I would be shaking all over in mins. But i suppose this is not a problem for all people. or maybe they assume that it's a problem with unnatural/refied sugars and that once people turn to real sugars they will hae no more problems.

I would assume if out culture had stuck to these good whole foods then the natural sugars wouldn't bother us so. But fact is generations of us have been eat crap and it's going to take more then eating right for a few years to straighten out the mess we've caused! perhaps some of us will have better sucess but many of us will continue to struggle with intolerance, allergies and illnesses etc.

#19 of 69 Old 11-13-2006, 05:38 PM

Yes, I agree...and there is the fact that natural fruits are sooo much less sweet then the fruits we eat today...ever had a truely wild apple?
#20 of 69 Old 11-13-2006, 05:58 PM

I think in my case I need to cut all the carbs or go on a calorie-restricted program. I'm gearing up for a slightly calorie-restricted diet in about a week. Of course, I say that to myself every week. I thought that perhaps if I post about it, it will make it real.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#21 of 69 Old 11-14-2006, 03:48 AM

ok so a quick update. today I was not so careful with my food intake as I was super busy and ate out TWICE! *blush*. I ate a sandwhich both times and then a peice of birthday cake. well I'm back to looking 6 mos pregnant. it's like immediately I blew up and felt bad all over. I got a sugar rush and a bloated stomache and the food wasn't even good!!

so I'm thinking I'm staying away from as many grains as possible and see if that if i can't lose a bit of weight and fit into some smaller pants. I actually havent even been wearing my pants lately b/c it shows too much of my middle and I'm scared someone will think I'm pregnant! (it's actually really embarassing to admit that!) I'm super self conscious about it.

thanks everyone for great advice.

#22 of 69 Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ok so a quick update. today I was not so careful with my food intake as I was super busy and ate out TWICE! *blush*. I ate a sandwhich both times and then a peice of birthday cake. well I'm back to looking 6 mos pregnant. it's like immediately I blew up and felt bad all over. I got a sugar rush and a bloated stomache and the food wasn't even good!!

so I'm thinking I'm staying away from as many grains as possible and see if that if i can't lose a bit of weight and fit into some smaller pants. I actually havent even been wearing my pants lately b/c it shows too much of my middle and I'm scared someone will think I'm pregnant! (it's actually really embarassing to admit that!) I'm super self conscious about it.

thanks everyone for great advice.
HennyPenny, I can so relate to what you are saying. This weekend we took a road trip to Minnesota (10 hr drive) and of course we ate some totally non TF foods (Arby's, Chinese, etc.) Anyway when I got back home the scale said that I gained 5 lbs: . I know its from the carbs I ate on this trip. I should have organized better concerning the snacks/foods for the trip.
#23 of 69 Old 11-14-2006, 01:12 PM

For me, coconut oil definitely helps. But what has helped me the most is a 3-minute move called Hoe Downs. Not only has it been proven to reduce glucose by 60-85 points upon completion, but by doing so, that burned off glucose won't be converted to fat. I highly recommend it. Here's an article on it and a free video of the move (near the bottom of the page). Hope that helps!

myCelia
#24 of 69 Old 11-14-2006, 02:47 PM

wow...I could not have been more skeptical about hthis hoe down thing...but I just looked at the video and did it along with her and I feel great! I wonder if this really works for muscle tightning etc. but I am gonna give it a try...I feel good and I could do it with both kids around without having to stop in the middle...

wow

thanks for that link

Tanya
#25 of 69 Old 11-14-2006, 02:50 PM

I have heard great things about T-Tapp.....I am just not good at doing them..lol
#26 of 69 Old 11-14-2006, 03:30 PM

Tanya,

I'm glad you found the Hoe Downs helpful! I've got two li'l monkeys and three minutes is just enough time for me to get the two sets in without interruption. In fact, both my DS's (5 and 2) now get in on the action and do them with me - they're so cute! Instead of loading up on caffeine for my mid-afternoon slump, I now do a set of Hoe Downs and I'm good to go. It's my favorite move. It's a very lymphatic exercise and will help pump fat and toxins out of your body. Hoe Downs and T-Tapp in general have helped me curb my cravings for carbs and sweets tremendously.

And yes, Hoe Downs will definitely tone muscles (measure and see for yourself). Keep shoulders back, chest out, rib cage up, butt tucked (keep pelvis tipped towards belly button and squeeze butt like you're minting dimes, hehe) and keep the toes pointed during the move. You should really feel it in the abs, hips and thighs. Don't worry about perfect form right now, just do your best. As you get stronger, your form will improve.

cobluegirl,

Yes you can! (As Teresa says). I didn't think I could do T-Tapp either so I just played around with the free videos before I took the plunge and got the Total Workout package - best investment I've ever made for my health. Since April of this year I've lost over 17" (inches matter more than pounds with T-Tapp) and dropped two dress sizes from a tight 14 to loose 10's or tight 8's (depending on the cut). More than that though, I feel fantastic. Mood swings - gone. Back pain - gone. Energy - through the roof!

myCelia
#27 of 69 Old 05-24-2007, 03:00 AM

I'm bringing back this old thread...I just cut grains and sugar out of my diet and ordered a set of T-Tapp DVDs. I'm going to give the Hoe Downs exercise a try in the morning - I like how quick it is, and it looks really effective for muscle toning. I'm looking to lose about 20 pounds, but more important to lose inches around my hips and thighs (I'm a size 10 on top and a tight 14 on bottom).

Does anyone want to chime in on their progress since this thread went silent??? I'm looking for some inspiration!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#28 of 69 Old 05-24-2007, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for bumping this thread up!!!! Well really my weight hasn't changed since I initially posted this thread . But I have been eating better and feeling better. I tried being consistent in doing Tae-Bo, but at times I think it may be a little intense for me. I'll do it for a week then totally slack off the next two weeks: . The t-tap may be good since its short and sweet (from what I've heard). Where can I get the t-tap videos, dvds?
#29 of 69 Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 PM

I ordered the T-Tapp DVDs here. I also bought her book, because I can get a little obsessive about new ventures! Plus it's supposed to have a lot of good information in it, but I don't know what.

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#30 of 69 Old 05-27-2007, 08:09 PM

I'm a dedicated T-tapper. I love the program.

I have to say, I was a size 18 and couldn't loose weight to save my life. I got tested and found out I had celiac disease and went off of gluten, and the weight melted off. I'm now a size 6 and my weight loss seems to have leveled off, regardless of how much or little I eat.

I truly believe that if someone is eating TF long-term and isn't loosing down to a more normal weight, they have a food allergy of some form.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page