how much kefir/kombucha do you drink daily? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering how much you drink. I didnt know if there was too much that you could drink or not. LMK what your drink routine is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-12-2006, 01:19 AM

I think you can drink as much kefir as you like although the first couple of days, some people have a bit of gas and intestinal discomfort as the new bacteria settles in. Some traditional cultures drank lots and lots of cultured drinks and it was great for their health. With kombucha, I would limit it a bit until you are sure you are not having side effects. It is a powerful detoxifier and gave both DH and I pretty serious symptoms.

So currently, I drink on average about 1/2 cup of milk kefir, a couple cups of water kefir and 2 to 3 ounces of kombucha a day.
#3 of 11 Old 11-12-2006, 08:15 AM

I'm curious what those symptoms were.

I was first introduced to kombucha through the commercial brand, Synergy. I drank the whole bottle and kept going back for more everytime I could get it. I make my own now, and I usually drink something like 2 to 3 cups a day. I never got detox symptoms. I never knew you could get detox symptoms until I was already drinking 2 cups a day.

When I was drinking milk kefir, I usually had about a cup in a smoothie. But, I just got sick of smoothies. Hopefully, my grains will survive cold storage in the fridge.

I'm also taking a break from water kefir. Maybe it's my grains, but my drinks just never seemed all that yummy to me.

Kelly
#4 of 11 Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 PM

I drink roughly 2 cups a day of water kefir. When I first got my grains I made several different batches of kefir lemonade and cocout milk kefir and started out drinking 2-3 cups a day. After a week of horrible gas, bloating, and stomach rumbling (yeah I should have listened to my body!) I gave myself 10 days of "Montezuma's revenge". It was horrible and there is no doubt in my mind it was caused by my body being overwhelmed by the good bacteria & yeasts in the water kefirs. I do have a candida overgrowth so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but I'd also been on an anti-candida diet for 4 months with anti-fungals and lots of lacto-fermented foods, so a lot of the yeast should have already been gone. Apparently whatever was left was waging a turf war with the stuff in the water kefirs.

Anyhow, that's just my experience--it seems like most people can just start off drinking a lot of kefir and not have any problems, but that didn't work for me. I do have kombucha now but after my experience with the water kefirs I will be starting off very, very slowly with that!
#5 of 11 Old 11-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Well, I think you get symptoms related to whever your body is at, detox wise. So if you have been used to eating healthfully or having a good dose of bacteria regularly, you may not experience symptoms.
I have been drinking it for 2 days(kombucha) and so far no symptoms. Both my kids have had it, and dh as well, all more than one cup. So far we are fine.

I think normally, I would have a cup or so a day until it is all gone. But that is just because I would want to ration it until the next brew is done.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#6 of 11 Old 11-13-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllek View Post
I'm curious what those symptoms were.
I started sneezing like I had allergies even though I had gotten rid of my allergies for over a year. Then a few weeks later, I got what felt like carpal tunnel syndrome even though I didn't have any extra stress on my arms. I had carpal tunnel before, but now that I am more aware of food and nutrition, I now remember that I had it during a time when I drank a lot of diet soda, and I remember reading about aspartame symptoms and how some people have terrible arthritis and other inflammation symptoms.

DH ended up with symptoms that we think are linked to mercury toxicity.
#7 of 11 Old 11-13-2006, 04:18 PM

I drink about 8 oz of my water kefir a day. It is really yummy, but I don't want to drink more than that because I try to stay away from excess sugar, and there is quite a bit iof residual sugar in my water kefir. I am just starting out with kombucha, and am drinking about 4 oz a day.
#8 of 11 Old 09-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Hi all... Just wanted to add my 2 cents ..

I mix kombucha and water kefir 50/50 and drink it together. Taste like long island ice tea but without the added alcohol. I also drink milk kefir smoothies almost daily.

Everyone thinks I am crazy, but my gray hair is disappearing!

Also have not been sick with a virus in the past 6 months since starting the kefir.
#9 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I gave myself 10 days of "Montezuma's revenge".
As in MT? What is it?

ETA: Wow, just realized this is an old thread. Well, maybe you'll see this?

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#10 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinore View Post
Hi all... Just wanted to add my 2 cents ..

I mix kombucha and water kefir 50/50 and drink it together. Taste like long island ice tea but without the added alcohol. I also drink milk kefir smoothies almost daily.

Everyone thinks I am crazy, but my gray hair is disappearing!

Also have not been sick with a virus in the past 6 months since starting the kefir.
That sounds really yummy! I'll have to try that...I love Long Island's but I can't have them anymore due to the sugar.

I drink 1-2 quarts of water kefir and 16-32 oz. of kombucha every day

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#11 of 11 Old 09-20-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinore View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
That sounds really yummy! I'll have to try that...I love Long Island's but I can't have them anymore due to the sugar.

I drink 1-2 quarts of water kefir and 16-32 oz. of kombucha every day
Wow- that is a lot of kefir and kombucha. I'm limiting myself to about 6 ounces of kombucha per day, only because I'm BFing still and everyone says that too much while BFing is bad.

I might have to try that kefir/kombucha mix too once I start making water kefir!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page