What is wrong with my coconut oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-13-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently purchased a bunch of coconut oil off eBay. It is organic, virgin, it seemed to be everything that it should be, although I had never heard of the brand. It tastes awful! I usually mix a tablespoon or two in my hot cocoa, and the stuff I get at the store tastes just fine, in fact it really hardly tastes at all. This new stuff has a strong taste, but not even a coconut taste. I can't stand it in my cocoa, I can try baking with it, but is something wrong with it? Also, it has a slightly more yellowish tint to it than my other stuff. I wrote the guy I bought it from and asked him, but of course he hasn't written me back yet. I would hate to send it back, I would have to "eat" the $20 dollar shipping cost. Anyway, anyone know?
Thanks!
#2 of 2 Old 11-13-2006, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only coconut oil I have ever had like that was rancid. Not only was it not tasty, it was downright nasty! I took it back to the store, which I see is not an option for you. I wouldn't eat it. Rancid oils are not health-giving foods. That sucks about the ebay policy. : By the way, you said that the kind you usually buy doesn't have much of a taste. I am wondering if the kind you are buying is refined-- the unrefined kind is the most health-giving and has an amazing, wonderful fresh coconut flavor. YUMMY!!! I used to make a chocolate spread out of 1 TBSP. coconut oil, 1 tsp. flax oil, 1 tsp. maple syrup, 1 tsp. cashew (or any other nut) butter and 2 tsp. organic cocoa powder. I would blend it all together and then put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes until it gets solid. It absolutely melts in your mouth! Heaven!! What a way to get your EFA's!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page