zinc - supplements or foods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-14-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sooo trying to avoid supplements, but after gagging on an oyster the other night, I think I'm ready to choke down some pills to get my zinc. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get more zinc, food or supplements?

I have tried oysters. Believe me, I've tried. Can't do 'em.

We have pastured beef about 2x a week. I'm trying to sneak some liver into some ground beef recipes, but I don't think I'm currently taking enough to get enough zinc.

I'm aiming to get 20-30 mg a day through food. But it seems like the amounts in most foods are paltry compared to even the RDA of 15 mg.

So... does anyone know what types of supplements I should be looking for if I can't get zinc through foods? Thanks for your help!

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 PM

If you can find liquid zinc then you can easily check your status. You just take 1T of the liquid and swish it in your mouth for 10 seconds and swallow. The taste (or lack of) will tell you how much you need to focus on this nutrient. It should taste pretty bad/metallic. If you get no taste that is bad. If it is chalky that is a little better than bad.

I was talking 150 mg a day of chelated zinc (From Twinlab) for a few months because I was horribly deficient.(I had all the symptoms of zinc defiency and the liquid tasted like water!) Those supplements were on top of a lot of meat eating. Now I take 50 mg a day and may drop that more in the next few weeks.

Hope that helps!
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#3 of 19 Old 11-14-2006, 10:50 PM

I'd do the taste test. If you are deficient definitely take supplements.
#4 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jen. Your post was really helpful. That was exactly the type of information I was looking for.

150mg seems like a lot!! Wow. How would one go about figuring out a dose, and when to taper?

Firefaery, I'll try the taste test. I'm not sure whether I'm hoping for the yucky taste or not though.

Kelly
#5 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 02:24 AM

I've never heard of anyone taking that high of a dose either. I usually say about 30 mg a day unless acutely ill-and then you can go to 60 mg or so, but only for about a week. It isn't hard to OD on zinc. NCM, are you doing this under the supervision of anyone?
#6 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 02:30 AM

Jennifer has a specific condition, pyroluria, that affects her zinc status. Don't follow her dosage, just her wisdom about the liquid. Can you post more about pyroluria Jennifer? What lab? How long to correct? Life-long strategy? etc.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#7 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 02:36 AM

I just read this today and thought it might be pertinant to the discussion. Its context is that of a low-carb diet, but I think it still has some great information in it related to the balance of zinc and copper in the body.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=305

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#8 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pumkin seeds are high in zinc www.alternativementalhealth.com has some interesting pyloria info i need more too- gotta ask dh to bring home some oysters!
#9 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional info on zinc, kallyn. Good to know that I should be working on zinc and copper together. It's always that way, isn't it? As soon as you start working on one thing nutritionally, you realize that you also have to take care of another...It's all in one big package.

provocativa - thanks for the tip about pepitas. I always snack on them, but I've completely forgotten about their zinc.

And I guess I'll give the oysters one more try. I just read an article about different species of oysters, and there were some recipes that made think I can try one more time.

Kelly
#10 of 19 Old 11-16-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
Jennifer has a specific condition, pyroluria, that affects her zinc status. Don't follow her dosage, just her wisdom about the liquid. Can you post more about pyroluria Jennifer? What lab? How long to correct? Life-long strategy? etc.

Hi all. I am under supervision while on this dose. Pyroluria is where my body created a lot of pyrolles and they bind to the B6 and zinc. Right now I have to take in anough zinc to override the pyrolles and make up for a horrible defiency. In other words I am not absorbing 150 mg+ a day that I was taking in from food and suplements. It took me about 3 months to get to a good level of zinc.

Go to www.moodcure.com, get their phone number, and they can hook you up with a pyrolluria urine test if you feel you need one. My number was the second highest they had ever seen, which is bad. It was about 50 bucks and totally worth it.

For right now I am on 0-50 mg a day. I am not sure what the long term stratgey is at this point because my next appointment will be about that. I think that I will just keep on eating NT and zinc rich foods and do a liquid test once a month. I don't want to get low in this again because I think this defiency was a big factor in my depression and mc.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#11 of 19 Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 PM

Are you feeling a difference?
#12 of 19 Old 11-17-2006, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Are you feeling a difference?
I am doing much better than I was 3 months ago. I had a few different issues though (Lyme, defiences ect) and I am pretty much working on them all at once.

#13 of 19 Old 11-17-2006, 11:28 AM

THat was kind of the boat I was in-amazing what a difference it can make, isn't it? I had several deficiencies and celiac disease. I'm like a whole new person. Sorry for the OT!
#14 of 19 Old 11-17-2006, 12:33 PM

Can anyone recommend a brand of liquid zinc? This might be one of the things that would help me..
#15 of 19 Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM

my favorite is scientific botanicals. bio body is good too.
#16 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

I'm bumping this thread back up to add that I just tried the liquid zinc test. I guess the good news is that I don't think I'm deficient...

Because that stuff has got to be the most wretched, vile, abominable stuff I have ever put in my mouth. For anyone else planning to take the liquid zinc test, please use caution! Like stand near a sink or something.

Kelly
#17 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllek View Post
I'm bumping this thread back up to add that I just tried the liquid zinc test. I guess the good news is that I don't think I'm deficient...

Because that stuff has got to be the most wretched, vile, abominable stuff I have ever put in my mouth. For anyone else planning to take the liquid zinc test, please use caution! Like stand near a sink or something.
Yaaa! I am so glad it tasted bad! My intitial test tasted like water:

#18 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Yaaa! I am so glad it tasted bad!
Do you have any idea how this sentence sounds out of context?

Seriously, I'm glad you're not zinc-deficient Kelly!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#19 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Yaaa! I am so glad it tasted bad! My intitial test tasted like water:
Wow. Jen, I can't even begin to imagine that. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better after the supplementation. I know I sound silly whining about the taste. I'm glad I'm not deficient too. (Thanks for the support, Ruth.) I guess those oysters were doing the trick after all.

Kelly

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page