B vitamin challenge: Brewer's Yeast and Liver products - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 198 Old 11-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oops, wrong thread.
#62 of 198 Old 11-19-2006, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The recipe for chicken livers with hazelnuts in NT is amazingly good- y'all should try it. dh made livers last night and they were terrible, which really pssst me off, since a) he is a chef and b) i've told him 3 times how i like them and c) they've been discontinued at the store where i usually buy them, so i have a finite supply.
#63 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Did you make a pate with the beef liver? What could I eat it on if I don't eat grains?

Thanks,
Jen
DDs favorite way to eat pate is off a spoon.
#64 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'm at the end of day 2 of a lot of freeze dried liver. No change yet, but I really wouldn't expect it this quickly. With real liver I've had a positive change in a week or so.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#65 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 AM

I have frozen beef liver. Should I thaw it for 1 day in the fridge before I prepare it? (Sorry for the silly question!)

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#66 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yes. One day usually does it for me since it's usually thin.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#67 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 03:00 AM

The liver I buy is already frozen but I wanted to be able to freeze it in one ounce chunks for smoothies - can I thaw it, slice it, individuallly nag it, and refreeze it?

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#68 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'd be concerned about its texture with refreezing but considering what you are doing with the final product, try it

#69 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Cool - I'll try it today. I knew that refreezing isn't recommended for if you are going to cook the meat because it changes the consistency (makes it tough doesn't it?). But I was hoping that would be the only issues with refreezing, and thus wouldn't affect it's use in a smoothie.

Oh, and since I purchase the liver already frozen, do I still have to wait the 14 days to keep it frozen to kill off any parasites? Should I not assume it's been frozen already for 2 weeks?

#70 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

I expect it has been frozen that long, but does anyone know what the legal requirements are on this?

#71 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Cool - I'll try it today. I knew that refreezing isn't recommended for if you are going to cook the meat because it changes the consistency (makes it tough doesn't it?). But I was hoping that would be the only issues with refreezing, and thus wouldn't affect it's use in a smoothie.

Oh, and since I purchase the liver already frozen, do I still have to wait the 14 days to keep it frozen to kill off any parasites? Should I not assume it's been frozen already for 2 weeks?
You could call the place you got it from. The butcher keeps the beef liver in the freezer (along with rattlesnake and such) because it is not one of is best selling items for some reason so it may have already been in there for a few weeks.

I am pretty sure 14 days is the time. Look in NT under "raw meat" chapter.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#72 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
Rebekah -- 9 pounds! Wow
this confused me for a minute, I'm used to being the only "Rebekah". in fact i've only ever met one other person who spelled it that way.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#73 of 198 Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 PM

I am going to try making a pate with my chicken liver. Any ideas for what to do with the heart? I also have some other unidentified organ. I'm guessing maybe a kidney? Haven't a clue! I should ask my mom, she'd know for sure.
#74 of 198 Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM

Ok. I'm in. I could definetely use extra energy!

I did the Pottenger Cocktail today from NT. i grated the frozen liver really fine and couldn't tell it was in there. I'll be out of town for a few days but plan on making this a habit starting monday after Turkeyday!
#75 of 198 Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Cool!

#76 of 198 Old 11-21-2006, 11:06 PM

I made pate! And ate it, too. I am so proud of myself, it turned out very well. My two year old loved it, and had to arm-twisted to leave it alone so she could go to bed.
#77 of 198 Old 11-22-2006, 01:26 AM

Yesterday, I made chicken livers and onions for about the sixth time this year and this time DH ate it!!! A good portion of it, and he had more today! I cooked it with a good amount of the grassfed lard I got from an Amish farmer and it smelled divine.

The last few times I made liver, I had to pretty much eat it all myself. Which is okay since I like it, but it's hard to eat large portions of it everyday since as someone mentioned before, it doesn't seem to taste as good when you don't need it as much, and after 4 days of it, it doesn't taste as good.

So we're now on day 2 of a big batch of chicken livers I made.
#78 of 198 Old 11-24-2006, 01:34 PM

after a week of telling myself i should take the NY, i bought some BY tabs and am on day two of taking them. how much is everyone taking? i have the country life BY tabs, which recommend 4 tabs 3x a day.

#79 of 198 Old 11-27-2006, 05:19 PM

Okay, I'm in. I did the raw liver tonic from NT today, I think it's called Pottinger's tonic, it has mostly tomato juice and raw liver. The recipie calls for 1-2 tsp grated, but I used more like almost 2T. Do you think it's enough to make a difference if I just do that little three or four times per week?

It was intesne, btw, really intense. Not gross, but I definitely had to put aside some huge psychological barriers to eating raw liver!
#80 of 198 Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am completely exhausted right now.

I plan to make liver for tomorrow's lunch. I might need to do liver 2X a week now that I'm no longer taking the B complex pills. Or maybe I should do it every 5 days which will end up being 2X a week some weeks.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#81 of 198 Old 11-27-2006, 09:39 PM

I'm going to start tomorrow unless I get some serious energy tonight to make pate. (Isn't it ironic: that which will give me energy is too much energy right now to cook?! ) I plan on making pate and having it each day on a piece of toast. I figured that way I'll probably get 1 ounce a day or so. Dh really likes it that way too, so I'll probably end up making it a couple times a week.

#82 of 198 Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM

Oh, and is anyone taking a B12 supplement who is also taking BY? (Sorry weird wording. ) From what I have found, BY doesn't have B12, which I thought was one of the big ones for combatting depression. We have B12 drops; I'll have to check how much is in each.

Am I correct in thinking that BY, B12 drops, and liver would eliminate the need for zinc and B-complex? Although I have to say, my B-complex is *MUCH* easier to swallow than the BY tabs (which are big and round and get stuck half way down and require many more tabs to get the same basic affect as 2 B-complex caps).

#83 of 198 Old 11-27-2006, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I am completely exhausted right now.
I would try to eat it three times this week to help give you a boost.

Ally'smom -- that's not a whole lot, but try it and see if you feel any better.

MLW -- I think you should take the B-12. I think the BY we have around here is fortified with B-12

#84 of 198 Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 AM

Starting with liver tomorrow. I really wish I would have managed to start last week, considering what an awfully rage-full day today was, but better late than never, right
#85 of 198 Old 11-28-2006, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
Starting with liver tomorrow. I really wish I would have managed to start last week, considering what an awfully rage-full day today was, but better late than never, right
Tomorrow is a new day.

#86 of 198 Old 11-28-2006, 11:56 AM

Okay, I bought BY just before leaving for the holiday. I only tried it once stirred into milk, but it was gross. I want to start taking it, but has anyone found a way to hide it in anything? I tried it in a bowl of oatmeal and had to throw away the oatmeal. So gross.

Do I just have to pinch my nose and take it in the milk or is there a tasty way? It wasn't quite as gross to me as cow's liver (though, trying a chicken liver pate with lots of bacon and onion sounds like an option), but I am more likely to do it if I can enjoy it! And, those doing BY, how often? Once a day or is every other day okay? My container says 2 TB is the dosage.
#87 of 198 Old 11-28-2006, 12:28 PM

I can choke it down in about 4 ounces of orange juice - I use a straw so I can drink it right into the back of the throat. It still makes me shiver when I'm done, but it's do-able ... barely! (And yep, I tossed a huge smoothie when I had first tried BY because it was so yucky.)

#88 of 198 Old 11-28-2006, 02:30 PM

my mom suggested taking BY in pineapple juice. It is definitely the most palatable way I've tried.

#89 of 198 Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I accidentally let the package of liver thaw on the counter overnight instead of in the fridge overnight. I cooked it up but it doesn't smell appetizing at all.

Should I still eat it?

Would the liver lose any of its nutritional properties by being left out too long? Is it unsafe to eat?

OK, after broiling the liver I cooked it with coconut oil, black pepper, ginger, garlic, hot pepper sauce, and tamari. I added more tamari after cooking it and it was palatable. I'll let you know if I lunch comes back up later.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#90 of 198 Old 11-28-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
my mom suggested taking BY in pineapple juice. It is definitely the most palatable way I've tried.
What a good idea. I will have to get some! Can you get it on its own (we use whats left in the can after pineapples)?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page