Do you eat your kefir grains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my kefir grains about a week ago, and they multiplied like crazy the first 48 hours or so, now a bit slower. But they already produce more kefir daily than I want, so I'm thinking about eating some of them - but I must admit that I'm kind of nervous about it. :

So... do you eat your milk kefir grains?

And if you do - how? Do you just swallow them? Do you chew them? Do you eat them separately or do you drink them with your kefir or something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 PM

I sometimes eat my water kefir grains. I jut pop a couple in my mouth and chew. They don't really have a flavor, just chewy texture.

They've been growing really slowly lately, though so I don't have any to spare.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#3 of 10 Old 12-10-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

mimim, have you eaten milk kefir grains too?
#4 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 AM

I eat mine. I either put them in a smoothie or just swallow them with a drink to wash them down. I really, really dislike their texture so I only eat small ones that are easy to swallow. My sister really enjoys them though and will just grab a large one and chew it up. I feel so much healthier when I eat the grains. Unfortunately mine are multiplying a bit slow right now so I haven't eaten any in a while
#5 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

What if you live them in some milk for 48 hours or so? Wouldn't they grow like that?

Thank you for your reply, I think I'll do the same as you. I don't want to make more than a glass of kefir a day, because I won't drink more than that.

I have to admit, I like the taste of the bought kefir better. : So today I'll make a smoothie with whatever fresh fruit I can find, and see if it tastes better that way. : (I probably just need to get used to the different taste of my own kefir, I drank a bottle of bought kefir every day for a couple weeks before getting my grains.)
#6 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Welll....you could sell some to ME!!!!

Mrs B
#7 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
mimim, have you eaten milk kefir grains too?
I'm dairy free, so no.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#8 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post
Welll....you could sell some to ME!!!!

Mrs B
I would send them for you for free (just postage) if I lived in the States but I'm in Europe so that wouldn't make much sense. Have you looked if there is anyone close to you in the sticky thread for exchanging kefir grains & combucha scobies?
#9 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 PM

yes, i eat my kefir grains. i either chew them up or blend them in my smoothie....but i always feel funny about it, i imagine the kefir grains screaming as i eat them. yes, i know, i am weird.

personally, i think that kefir made with cow's milk tastes pretty much the same as the store bought, but i think it tastes strange when made with goat's milk...i typically make it with goat's milk so i always make smoothies. my favorite is kefir, frozen strawberries, and a dash of stevia. sometimes i'll add a banana.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#10 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
yes, i eat my kefir grains. i either chew them up or blend them in my smoothie....but i always feel funny about it, i imagine the kefir grains screaming as i eat them. yes, i know, i am weird.
I was thinking the same, that's partly why I'm nervous about eating them. (I call them my "beasties". ) And this is why I wasn't sure about blending them with the smothies - will it hurt them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
personally, i think that kefir made with cow's milk tastes pretty much the same as the store bought, but i think it tastes strange when made with goat's milk...i typically make it with goat's milk so i always make smoothies. my favorite is kefir, frozen strawberries, and a dash of stevia. sometimes i'll add a banana.
Ooooooh, I got some bananas today. I'll make a smoothie tomorrow and I'll add about half of my grains (poor little beasties ), that should let me make about one glass of kefir a day then. (I can't drink more than that or I'll get sick of it.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page