how long can detox from kombucha last? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been drinking 2-3 oz of kombucha a day for the past couple of weeks. I think it's detoxing me--I've had acne breakouts, lightheadedness, minor digestive issues, and am extra thirsty, along with a couple of other symptoms I'd rather not mention. But how long can detox symptoms last? I want to make sure it is detox and the kombucha is not feeding my candida yeast overgrowth (I know it theoretically shouldn't but it's a bit disconcerting when all of my candida symptoms that had gone away have come back!).
#2 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 02:26 PM

From my own experience, it can last well over a month or longer. I have not yet been able to keep up with the kombucha long enough until my symptoms go away, but whenever I start up the kombucha again, I start to break out and get extra thirsty. Whenever I start up again, I'm okay for a few days and then I have symptoms again. The longest I've taken kombucha straight is 6 weeks. I still had symptoms after 6 weeks, although the detox symptoms did morph over time (eventually my excess thirst and cold symptoms went away but I still had lots of acne). I'm taking breaks as I suspect both DH and I are suffering from high levels of heavy metals.
#3 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 PM

It's hard to say, itis so personal.

I usually end up with a batch a week now, so we end up drinking it on the weekend.And early in the week. I think since we all split it, then have to wait til it brews again, that it ends up being gradual enough.

I think it is an ongoing process though. We will always be detoxing in some way or another if we eat healthy.If it isn't the occasional sugar, it will be the environmental things to cope with, or any non-balanced eating.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#4 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 PM

It would depend on the amount of glucaronic acid in your batch, your toxic load, and the state of your liver. I noticed increased b.o. for 2 weeks when I started kombucha and was drinking 4 oz. three times per day. Never had the skin issues. I had been doing selenium for months before that and alpha lipoic acid was part of my chelation program so that probably made the time shorter.
#5 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
It would depend on the amount of glucaronic acid in your batch, your toxic load, and the state of your liver. I noticed increased b.o. for 2 weeks when I started kombucha and was drinking 4 oz. three times per day. Never had the skin issues. I had been doing selenium for months before that and alpha lipoic acid was part of my chelation program so that probably made the time shorter.
My liver probably isn't in all that great of shape although I've been doing herbal infusions for liver support for about 3 months. I've also been taking large doses of vitamin C for several months and either selenium supplements or eating lots of local foods (we live in a good area for selenium). I guess I will keep waiting to see what happens for the time being.
#6 of 11 Old 01-12-2007, 06:35 PM

gawd...on kombucha for a month, my bo was so strong I was embarrassed to be around my friends....so I put the scoby on vacation for a week (how long will the scoby keep in the fridge?)

I don't know if I can take the awful smell. We used oxyclean to get the smell out of the sheets. I'm . Everyone in the family is thanking me for not drinking it now. :

For the others, it gave dh a strong headache, and the rest of the family cancre sores. I liked it, no other symptoms except the smell. Which made me wonder if it was stirring up bacteria or what? I know that I'm toxic from my hair test, but I don't know if I should continue drinking it.

Shelly
#7 of 11 Old 01-13-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
gawd...on kombucha for a month, my bo was so strong I was embarrassed to be around my friends....so I put the scoby on vacation for a week (how long will the scoby keep in the fridge?)

I don't know if I can take the awful smell. We used oxyclean to get the smell out of the sheets. I'm . Everyone in the family is thanking me for not drinking it now. :

For the others, it gave dh a strong headache, and the rest of the family cancre sores. I liked it, no other symptoms except the smell. Which made me wonder if it was stirring up bacteria or what? I know that I'm toxic from my hair test, but I don't know if I should continue drinking it.

Shelly
Your description cracked me up! Yes, keep going. You're getting the junk out. How long you stink really has the most to do with your degree of toxicity which is tied to many things including the state of your liver. For instance Dh is much less toxic than I am. When we both started selenium he stunk for a few days and I did for a month. Right now I'm taking selenium, kombucha, alpah lipoic acid, and natural cellular defense. When I added each one I started to stink again and then it slowly dissipates. Well, slowly for me
#8 of 11 Old 01-13-2007, 05:37 AM

personally I'm convinced if you make any change too fast (even if it's a good change) in can overwhlem your system. I'm not sure that I would consider that detox. I would try working up th that amount. there is actually something to the thought of "too much of a good thing is bad".

detoxing is hard on your system so even if that's what it is I think slow is a better idea. give your body time to heal *while* detoxing.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#9 of 11 Old 01-13-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
personally I'm convinced if you make any change too fast (even if it's a good change) in can overwhlem your system. I'm not sure that I would consider that detox. I would try working up th that amount. there is actually something to the thought of "too much of a good thing is bad".

detoxing is hard on your system so even if that's what it is I think slow is a better idea. give your body time to heal *while* detoxing.
It is wise to not push a system that is giving signs of overload. Actually, I believe you have to listen to your body and what it is telling you. I advised her to continue because of what she posted. She liked the kombucha and was having no other symptoms except the b.o. She did not complain of lethargy, dark circles under her eyes, difficulty sleeping, rashes, n/v, headaches, loss of appetite, or any other symptoms of discomfort that would suggest she was detoxing her body too quickly for what her liver in its present state could handle without making her physically uncomfortable. The previously mentioned symptoms would all be indications that with her current rate of detoxification her system was overwhelmed with the toxins being removed.

BB - I also wanted to add that washing my underarms with natural soap a few times per day to remove the bacteria and applying TTEO afterwards
helps me when the smell is bad.
#10 of 11 Old 01-13-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

So...is a slightly upset stomach (bit of rumbling and occasional feeling of needing to go to the bathroom quickly, although nothing happens if I don't go, plus loose stools) a sign of detoxing too quickly? All my original detoxing symptoms have gone away but I still tend to get the bit of upset stomach with kombucha. Right now I'm drinking 2 oz 3x/day.
#11 of 11 Old 01-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Hmm... could be. You could experiment a bit and see what is most comfortable for you and what you can tolerate. Maybe switch to 2 oz twice per day and see what happens. That is the hard part - you just have to play around with it to see what is best for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page