How do you explain to others.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you explain, in a simple way how and/or why you eat this way????
#2 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 AM

I struggle with this, too! Curious to hear what others say. Usually I try to determine how much this person will be open to what I say. I don't spend too much time on those who aren't going to be open. I tend to say things like, "I think meat and fat are great, as long as they are raised and prepared well."

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#3 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for our in-laws who don't have the patience to understand, we tell them that we eat this way because "the doctor said to - it's a special diet".

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#4 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 01:50 AM
*Di

Bluets - that's good - made me laugh
#5 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 02:02 AM

i usually say something along the lines of i follow a traditional foods diet, meaning if its been 'invented' in the last 100 years or so, i don't eat it. if they seem interested/open, i'll go into it abit on how that effects everything. meat- pastured. dairy- pastured/raw. etc. most of my friends are christian, so using the idea of 'food god created has got to be better for us than food 'created' by imperfect humans' works well.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#6 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 02:03 AM

Haha I struggle with what to even call myself...I need a proper grammatical term. Like...my friends are Vegan...I am____? Traditional Foodist? Or "I follow a traditional foods diet..which is such and such"?

I am trying to explain to the new Chiropractor that works with us. We are both into health...he is big on working out...you'll see us both snacking on fruit and nuts during the day and avoiding sugar...and make and bring our own healthy lunches. But during the work day you will hear odd snippets like:
*me munching on a sandwich made with homeade mayo)
(Dr Sandhu) "you make your own mayo? Wow...how do you do that?"
(Me) "egg yolks, olive oil..."
"no egg whites?"
"nope, all egg yolks"
"geez...you know what's in egg yolks, right? Cholesterol. They say you should only have 3 egg yolks per week"
"whateeeever...that's so been refuted.Have you kept up on the research? Eggs are pure goodness, extremely nutrient dense..."
"yeah...so dense they'll give you a heart attack..."

By this time we get interrupted with work to do. I guess I just need to buy him NT for Christmas hehe.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#7 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 06:11 AM

i usually just say that i trust foods that people have eaten since the beginning of time much more than foods that man invented and we don't even really know what they are made out of. if i can't pronounce it, or i don't know what it is, i won't eat it.

if people 2 hundred years ago weren't dropping dead from heart attacks, but ate lots of saturated fat, how can saturated fat cause heart attacks? that kind of logic is hard to refute.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#8 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 08:25 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
Haha I struggle with what to even call myself...I need a proper grammatical term. Like...my friends are Vegan...I am____? Traditional Foodist? Or "I follow a traditional foods diet..which is such and such"?
The best I've come up with is "conscientious omnivore", which is still cumbersome and comes across somewhat judgemental (i.e. - the person you're speaking to is also an omni, albeit eating SAD, saying you're conscientious implies they are not, which may be true but puts people on the defensive nonetheless). More often, if people ask if I eat meat, I say I'm very picky about what type of meat I eat (or dairy or eggs). If asked if I'm veggie, I usually just say no and offer no further explanation unless the other person pursues the conversation, or I think I'm in danger of being offered chicken nuggets or some other unmentionable "food" substance.

There is no secret ingredient.
#9 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
The best I've come up with is "conscientious omnivore",
I LIKE that! Adn i think maybe we as a group should come up with a good term...Like vegan...every one now knows what that is...

I usually do the whole..."well they did all these studies...." Some people could care less...and some I just talk to and before you know it they are part of your raw milk coop

But yeah...can we all brainstorm some names to call ourselfs?

What about "traddy"?

Yo babe, I 'm a traddy! gimme that steak !

Tanya
#10 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 10:25 PM

I don't have that many conversations about it, really. When we talk about food at hsing group or whatever, I just say what I make. Most of us are trying to eat organic and local. Some eat meat, some do not. Farm eggs are common here, so that's not a biggie. Some eat whole foods, some don't. I really don't get into detail with w/most folks. If I see a few KFC , McD's bags etc in friends cars/homes/hsing events but that's not about me unless they ask me what I eat.

Many times people have been amazed at the variety of foods all my kids eat. In that case, I might mention that their taste buds aren't used to too much fake fat, fake sugars, or commercial salts. Of course, I won't say it quite that way. But I will chat about how I cook.
#11 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
I don't have that many conversations about it, really. When we talk about food at hsing group or whatever, I just say what I make. Most of us are trying to eat organic and local. Some eat meat, some do not. Farm eggs are common here, so that's not a biggie. Some eat whole foods, some don't. I really don't get into detail with w/most folks. If I see a few KFC , McD's bags etc in friends cars/homes/hsing events but that's not about me unless they ask me what I eat.

Many times people have been amazed at the variety of foods all my kids eat. In that case, I might mention that their taste buds aren't used to too much fake fat, fake sugars, or commercial salts. Of course, I won't say it quite that way. But I will chat about how I cook.
that' me too. my dh, on the other hand, is quite a different story. he actually could go on and on about the bad stuff other people eat... he's totally paranoid about eating junk. the funny part is that i'm the one who has been doing all the research and who says that it is ok to "cheat" (he does view it as a permanent diet, dontcha know) once in a while.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#12 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 12:08 AM

for me, i think the best way to teach is by example. I dont usually go preaching around. I only tell people if they ask.
#13 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiGG View Post
for me, i think the best way to teach is by example. I dont usually go preaching around. I only tell people if they ask.
I totally agree. I posted this question because a friend was over and I had some sprouted flour delivered and I was trying to explain why I use sprouted flour. I ended up just letting her read the back of the package which helped a lot! I was also thawing some grass fed ground beef and she asked about that so I tried to simply explain why grass fed beef is better..... I'm pretty new to all of this and can't proclaim too much because I certainly haven't made all the changes I need to yet! : I believe in and know why I do certain things (whether it's my diet or homeschooling, etc... ) I just don't have the greatest way of expressing why I do things.... I end up talking too much and confusing people.
#14 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 12:32 AM

Since the holidays are coming up and I know my relatives will be asking me about this subject, I just plan on telling them that I try to eat everything organic. If they ask more about it, I might go into that I try to eat whole foods and perhaps a little about traditional diets, but that talk probably puts me into the 'crazy' zone, so I shouldn't go that far. I think I'll try to hold my tongue abouts fats, though I do enjoy seeing the faces I see when I start defending lard. (Just had some cracklings on my salad tonight- mmmm... way better than KFC popcorn chicken).
#15 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 12:47 AM

I am afraid I am a little preachy

Tanya
#16 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 AM

I don't usually say much unless asked. I just don't really get into those things with people. My dh is quite different on the other hand. He has no qualms whatsoever about "enlightening" people on the industrial farming/animal treatment/meat processing system with all the details while folks are eating lunch!
#17 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 02:21 AM

I need to come up with something easy, too, especially since my husband has taken to telling people that Kerrygold butter is so good that we eat it like cheese sometimes. He says, "well, it is in the cheese section..." but then I think we just sound confused
#18 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeeeeaaaaah....my neighbor stopped over yesterday while I had a big ole pot of chicken heads & feet boiling away....don't know if she'll be back for a while, lol.

Oh yea, the kefir too, she's glanced at that with a hairy eye a few times but hasn't inquired yet...

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#19 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Banned

"we love good food!"

that's why we eat this way (i'm veg, dh is omni).
#20 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 PM

I usually just say I eat whole foods. Which doesn't explain the traditionally prepared part, but does explain why I won't eat cookies or donuts that people bring in or any refined sugar products, and covers the majority of the situations I have at the workplace.

I'm probably being sensitive, but I have lots of pet peeves about people mistaking my way of eating, including: being on a diet (conventionally, which means lowfat), eating only organic (which sooooo doesn't cover how I eat), being vegetarian.

When people find out I don't eat refined sugar, they automatically assume I'm on a "diet" and will not eat fats. There's one coworker who thinks I just eat organic and one morning offered me a pumpkin bread from Whole Foods. He said: it's organic and natural. I said "it's got refined sugar and other ingredients I don't eat". He was very confused.

I've been slowly working on my sister for a few years now, and a couple of months ago she proudly told me she bought organic eggs from Costco and organic milk. I tried to explain pastured eggs and farmer markets and avoiding the ultra-pasteurized milk. It's really difficult to explain!!!
#21 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=Metasequoia;6803258]Yeeeeaaaaah....my neighbor stopped over yesterday while I had a big ole pot of chicken heads & feet boiling away....don't know if she'll be back for a while, lol.

That cracked me up! I too get the "looks" at my little corner by the stove with water kefir, kombucha and the assorted soaky/fermenty things

He said: it's organic and natural. I said "it's got refined sugar and other ingredients I don't eat". He was very confused.

Yeah...like waht do you mean you dont eat sugar???

My DH told me about a football player who had been asked to leave the NFL because of smoking pot and then went on to study arjurveda. A reported caught up with him a while later and when asked if he still did drugs he answered " Well, I eat the occasional white sugar!"

Tanya
#22 of 25 Old 12-21-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
"we love good food!"

that's why we eat this way (i'm veg, dh is omni).
Couldn't have said it better
I mean , seriously, have any of these people actually tasted how good homeade can be? How good natural sugars, and soaked beans and raw milk, and kombucha actually are?(Seperately, of course )

I kind of grew up eating less sugar than the average child, way less. And I look really young for my age. I think the impact healthy eating will really only be seen years down the road. You either take the hard road, or stay healthy and get to chase your grandkids around. I know so many people that I wish I could just drill into their brains some of this stuff. But I guess I can't save everyone*SIGH*

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#23 of 25 Old 12-22-2006, 02:58 AM

I really thought I'd have to do a lot of explaining when my best friend was here last week for a visit. She lives in Seattle. I don't know if it was because she ditched her SAD husband in the last year or so or what but she didn't blink an eye. She tried everything we had available (ie kefir, kombucha, saurkraut, grass fed beef) and loved it and even ended up buying the Wild Fermentation book for her new (health conscious) boyfriend! I was pretty excited!
#24 of 25 Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 AM

I usually say we eat old-fashioned food. If someone is curious about that, I start by mentioning things like: home-made meals instead of processed foods, local produce when it's in season, and grass-fed meat and dairy.

I don't think of the way we eat as a "special diet" with a name. The way we eat is normal. I approach it in that way, too, when I'm talking to people.
#25 of 25 Old 12-22-2006, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post

But yeah...can we all brainstorm some names to call ourselfs?

What about "traddy"?

Yo babe, I 'm a traddy! gimme that steak !

this just cracks me up!!! But somehow I think we still need to brainstorm a good name, it just doesn't quite have the ring that Vegan or Omni has to it, ya know - lol - I don't have any suggestions at this time though - lol

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page