Is it wise to try raw milk for the first time while pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-21-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I drink it now or should I wait until I deliver (in 8 months)?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#2 of 5 Old 12-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The short, easy answer would be yes, IF you have access to high-quality milk, and if you normally have no trouble digesting it.

My long answer:

The first step I took towards traditional foods was when I came across the late Dr. Brewer's website, http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/ He claimed that none of his pregnant patients who followed his diet advice ever got preeclampsia.

Well, the first thing he recommended was a quart of milk every day! Previous to this, I had been off dairy for years (you can see my other posts about the disastrous health consequences that came of a low-fat near-vegetarian, heavy soy diet), but I had also come across articles about raw milk around this time. I have to admit I was a little scared, but decided to trust the new information. I started off slowly, maybe a cup of day, and built up to the quart during the middle of the first trimester. So I drank a quart of raw milk through the rest of my pregnancy! I felt pretty great following his diet recommendations, but I think YMMV.

The reason I had stopped drinking milk originally is because it left a heavy feeling in my stomach, and made me constipated. Well, raw milk gives me none of these problems.

#3 of 5 Old 12-21-2006, 01:43 PM

Raw milk is highly recommended by the WAPF for pregnant women. I would start now most definitely. For your peace of mind, go to the farm where it comes from if possible to see for yourself. Talk to some of the other farmer's customers and see how long they've been enjoying the raw milk. Watch or ask how the farmer milks his cows. My farmer disinfects the udders before and after his milks. He scrubs in like a surgeon up to his elbows before handling the milk too. He has modern milking equipment including stainless steel pipes and a cooling tank. This guy is the real deal. I have no worries. There's also a great power point presentation you can download from www.realmilk.com that will show you how raw milk is SAFER than pasteurized milk. More people get sick from contaminated pasteurized milk each year than from raw milk - this holds true even when the data is adjusted to take into consideration that far fewer people drink raw milk. HTH

Kim
#4 of 5 Old 12-21-2006, 06:56 PM

i first started drinking raw milk while pregnant
#5 of 5 Old 12-21-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Luckily, I'm a vet tech and I have some experience with dairy farms, so I know what to look for and what questions to ask.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page