Does saturated fats cause inflammatory response in arteries ??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
*Di

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just noticed this answer (see below) from Dr. Weil answering a reader's question...have you heard of this and what do you think ?

Quote:
A bit of background: when you eat foods that are high in saturated fat (found in red meat, and full-fat dairy products such as whole milk, cheese, butter, and cream), an inflammatory response occurs which impairs the ability of the arteries to deliver blood to tissues and organs throughout the body. This inflammatory response also promotes formation of artery-clogging plaque that raises risk of heart attack.

Thanks !
#2 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 01:14 AM

I'm guessing the study was done using pastuerized /homogenized fats? It also seems to me to lack the normal exception of variety in blood type, genetics and the like. Everyone is different.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#3 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Di View Post
Just noticed this answer (see below) from Dr. Weil answering a reader's question...have you heard of this and what do you think ?

Quote:
A bit of background: when you eat foods that are high in saturated fat (found in red meat, and full-fat dairy products such as whole milk, cheese, butter, and cream), an inflammatory response occurs which impairs the ability of the arteries to deliver blood to tissues and organs throughout the body. This inflammatory response also promotes formation of artery-clogging plaque that raises risk of heart attack.

Thanks !
I don't know if this happens or not, but I surely hope it doesn't: . Maybe it depends on the type of saturated fats that are being consumed. According to NT I thought is was the polyunsaturated fats (because they can become oxidized easier) that caused inflammation. What article did this come from? Thanks, Nikki
#4 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
*Di

Here's the link (second paragraph is where he mentions it)... but he didn't site an actual study/article... I wish he did !
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400104

I just read your new post Nikki98 (Leap of Faith) and yea, I feel just the same way too - TF really makes sense but when I see things like this Dr. Weil thing... I'm really hoping it's not true
#5 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 01:53 PM

I just got some butter oil for the first time this week. If you read the label, it contains several things in it that have the opposite affect on arteries. Dr. Weil is no Dr. Mercola. Weil still hangs onto some of the mainstream assumptions about saturated fats. I thought of something the other day that I'll share here. I realized that our bodies are made up of saturated fat. Its stored on our bodies to be used for fuel later if needed. When we exercise and burn fat for fuel, that means our own saturated fats are going into our bloodstream and being consumed. It doesn't make sense to me that if saturated fats were so bad for us that our own bodies would make it and store it for us to use later on, kwim? Also, consider the French Paradox. The French eat 4 times as much butter as Americans do and 60% more cheese. Yet they have roughly a 1/3 of the heart attacks that Americans do each year. Americans eat about the same amount of fat as the French but its primarily in the form of soybean oil which is an Omega 6 fatty acid and a polyunsaturated fat. Polyunsaturated fats are the ones you want to have very little of, not saturated fats. HTH

Kim
#6 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 02:08 PM
AJP

IMO, Weil doesn't know his stuff on fats, he swallows hook, line and sinker the whole "saturated fats clog your arteries" thing, that's his story and he's stickin' to it. Read the books The Cholesterol Myths by Uffe Ravnskov or The Great Cholesterol Con by Anthony Colpo for a detailed examination of the studies that are pointed to when people say sat fats are bad.

There is no secret ingredient.
#7 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
IMO, Weil doesn't know his stuff on fats, he swallows hook, line and sinker the whole "saturated fats clog your arteries" thing, that's his story and he's stickin' to it. Read the books The Cholesterol Myths by Uffe Ravnskov or The Great Cholesterol Con by Anthony Colpo for a detailed examination of the studies that are pointed to when people say sat fats are bad.
good point.

And who says these results are "optimal" anyway? What do we really know about how are bodies are suppossed to function after eating certain foods?And again, what types of milk products were being used?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#8 of 11 Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 AM

Meat and Dairy from GRAIN FED (read: soy and corn) cows has a roughly 10:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 EFA's, while GRASS-FED cows (as nature intended) have a ratio of about 2:1 (ideal intake would be 1:1).

While Omega 3 and Omega 6 EFA's are both equally necessary in the human body, they have OPPOSITE effects in the body. Namely (for this discussion)- 6's are inflammatory (clot blood, etc) and 3's are anti-inflammatory.

Thus, eating grain-fed meat or dairy from cows fed grain (which most, even organic meat and dairy cows are) has a much more inflammatory effect than eating grass-fed fats.

Of course the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio in the average American diet is way worse than 10:1, so grain-fed beef and dairy are only the tip of the iceberg (not enough fish, too much poly veg oils, etc). Would go on but I am way too tired!!
#9 of 11 Old 12-27-2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Di View Post

Quote:

Thanks !
Di, I also saw this article about co and the heart-

http://www.healthcastle.com/coconut-...ed-heart.shtml

Why is there so much misinformation about fats? No wonder why people are so confused:.
#10 of 11 Old 12-27-2006, 10:46 AM

I also found the link from the WAP website:

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...at-attack.html

I thought this offered a very thorough explaination of that co study.
#11 of 11 Old 12-27-2006, 06:31 PM

Weil certainly misses one very important point about fat balance and inflammation. Certain fats promote and certain fats inhibit inflammation. We need both. An overabundance of omega-6 cause excess inflammation in the body for example, as would an overabundance in saturated fats to the near exclusion of omega-3 fatty acids. But avoiding inflammation-causing fatty acids (such as saturated ones) would interfer with the body's ability to inflame. This is a natural and healing-provoking action within the body, and thus need to be supported in a balanced way.
This is why including wild foods in the diet (including pasture-raised animals whose diets mimic that of a wild animal's) is so important because they contain abundant omega-3's. So when you eat your pastured beef you're getting not only saturated pro-inflammatory fatty acids, but also anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids (which confinement beef does not deliver).

Many nutrition writers today think in this very unbalanced way about various nutrients and their actions within the body. We're so lucky to have people like Fallon, Ravnskov, Enig (especially on fats) and others to expose these fallacies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page