kombucha vessel - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-26-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you brew your kombucha in? I've read that you should use a big bowl. Can you use a pitcher? I have done it in a glass pitcher a few times and it seems to work, though it takes a really long time. Would I be better off in a shallower container like a large bowl.
What do you cover yours with? I have used paper towels, cheese cloth and kitchen towels.
My last batch got moldy and I had to throw it away. Once I got horrible fruit flies from it.
Any other tips for a relative newbie?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#2 of 5 Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 PM
AJP

I use a 1 gallon wide mouth jar, and I cover it with a paper coffee filter held on by a rubber band.

There is no secret ingredient.
#3 of 5 Old 12-27-2006, 02:21 AM

I use a 1 gallon jar that I got from Target. In other locations I've seen it referred to as a tea jar. It's kind of like what I would call an apothecar jar. I use a flour sack towel to cover mine, but I make sure to iron it before covering my brewing vessel to sanitize it. Are you making sure to save some kombucha from the finished batch to pour on top of your scoby in the new batch?
#4 of 5 Old 12-27-2006, 04:03 AM

I have a couple of 1 gallon glass jars I use. One looks like a fancy fishbowl (rounded with a lip on the rim) and the other is like a glass cookie jar. Both have wide mouth openigs.

I cover them with a tea towell secured with a big rubberband.
#5 of 5 Old 12-27-2006, 08:49 AM

I use a glass mixing bowl covered with a tea towel and secured w/ a rubber band. I've also used a casserole dish. while the scoby needs to breathe, I do think you can have such a thing as too much surface area. Even my bowl is wider than it is deep. I think this is why my kombucha brews so quickly. It is vinegar within 7 days. If I harvest it soon enough, it has worked to use what I do. It just means drinking it often!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page