Maybe not linked to eating NT, but...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-02-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have only ever, in my life, gotten a period a few times, and both times were as a young adolescent. From about the age of 13 or so until I turned 21 I had NO periods. I went on the pill at 21 and didn't go off it until about ten years later, when DH and I decided to try to get pregnant. I of course had regular cycles in that time, but they were caused by the pill.

We had to go the IVF route because nothing happened after I went off the pill (like I figured) and I just wasn't ovulating on my own.

I was vegetarian and vegan for about the past ten/three years, but I really don't think that caused the annovulation, since it started back when I was eating the SAD.

Anyway, in the past six months or so I've slowly added back dairy (organic, raw milk, etc.) and now meat (chicken, and a tiny bit of beef). But I've also been taking Blue Ice CLO religiously -- one tablespoon every night (I'm BF'ing so I figured I needed the higher dose).

And today I got a period. It's very light and who knows if it means I'm ovulating, or if it just would have happened anyway because getting pregnant jump-started my body somehow. But I had read something about women who don't ovulate getting cycles back after taking high doses of vitamin D.

Interesting.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#2 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 12:48 AM

I have read that really strict vegan and raw vegan diets could cause periods to cease. The premise is, you would still ovulate, but not bleed. According to some strict vegan and raw foodists, bleeding is a bad thing. The meat and dairy are toxins and bloody (especially bright red bleeding) is your body's way of getting rid of these toxins. I dont know about that personally. I actually dont buy that theory. You can "google veganism, raw foods and lack of periods or menses" and see what you can find on that subject. Unfortunately I dont know enough about the diet/menstruation. I only know about having PCOS.

How is your BF %?
#3 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
I have read that really strict vegan and raw vegan diets could cause periods to cease. The premise is, you would still ovulate, but not bleed. According to some strict vegan and raw foodists, bleeding is a bad thing. The meat and dairy are toxins and bloody (especially bright red bleeding) is your body's way of getting rid of these toxins. I dont know about that personally. I actually dont buy that theory. You can "google veganism, raw foods and lack of periods or menses" and see what you can find on that subject. Unfortunately I dont know enough about the diet/menstruation. I only know about having PCOS.

How is your BF %?
But I was only vegan for about three years of that time, so I don't think it was just my vegetarianism/veganism that caused annovulation. My fertility doc called it a PCOS-variant, but I think that was just because she didn't know why I wasn't ovulating.

Do you mean how often do I BF? It's pretty often. My son nurses to sleep at nap and bedtime, nurses every 2-4 hours all night, in the middle of the nap (if not the whole nap!) and several times during the day. Yeah, pretty often.

#4 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
But I was only vegan for about three years of that time, so I don't think it was just my vegetarianism/veganism that caused annovulation. My fertility doc called it a PCOS-variant, but I think that was just because she didn't know why I wasn't ovulating.

Do you mean how often do I BF? It's pretty often. My son nurses to sleep at nap and bedtime, nurses every 2-4 hours all night, in the middle of the nap (if not the whole nap!) and several times during the day. Yeah, pretty often.
I'm sorry BF %= bodyfat percentage I was just being lazy (and end up having to write it out anyway). If its too low, that can cause you to not ovulate.

It doesnt take long for a change in diet to have a negative or positive impact. It could be weeks.

What is PCOS-variant? I have the classic PCOS (insulin resistance, weight gain, etc)- fortunately the type that can be treated with diet and excercise.
#5 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
I'm sorry BF %= bodyfat percentage I was just being lazy (and end up having to write it out anyway). If its too low, that can cause you to not ovulate.

It doesnt take long for a change in diet to have a negative or positive impact. It could be weeks.

What is PCOS-variant? I have the classic PCOS (insulin resistance, weight gain, etc)- fortunately the type that can be treated with diet and excercise.
Ah, okay! I'm not sure...low twenties, maybe? Definitely not too low.

I don't know what PCOS-variant is. I think it means it "seems like it could be PCOS, but the patient doesn't have any of the classic symptoms, so we'll call it a variant of PCOS." :

ETA: Oh, I was thinking BMI when I wrote low twenties. I'm not sure about bodyfat %, but I'm definitely not too skinny. Kind of average, I guess.

#6 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM

I have PCOS too. It started as PCOS-variant, but it is full blown PCOS now.

(maybe this warrants a different thread but ...)
Has anyone seen an improvement of PCOS symptoms while on a TF diet? I'm a former veg and I'm still *really* struggling with eating meat again, but if it helps with PCOS or other disease it might give me the push I need.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#7 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I have PCOS too. It started as PCOS-variant, but it is full blown PCOS now.

(maybe this warrants a different thread but ...)
Has anyone seen an improvement of PCOS symptoms while on a TF diet? I'm a former veg and I'm still *really* struggling with eating meat again, but if it helps with PCOS or other disease it might give me the push I need.
I saw my symptoms improve on a more whole foods diet (before I knew anything about TF). It started with taking artificial and processed and fast foods out of my diet, most refined and artificial sugar and processed flours. I switched to organic meats and mostly organic produce.

Later I took dairy out of my diet except for butter (lactose intolerant) and gluten. I started eating more good fat, less bad ones, more fish, veggies, more raw food (along with cooked).

I then started eating more sprouts, adding sea plants, coconut oil, more nuts, flax seed oil, and other food based supplements.

Over the past couple months, I added fermented foods and drinks to my diet.

The whole time I exercise on a regular basis via running, biking and hiking. I also do some weight training, yoga, ballet when I get the chance.

Weight loss has been the biggest change, right along with ovulating on a semi regular basis though my cycles are still a little long so I’m working with that by taking Vitex and getting my thyroid checked out (if my doctor will order the tests ).

I tend to slack off on not eating enough fat and I start to feel tired and drained.

My acne has gotten a little better, but I still have facial hair.
#8 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 11:14 PM

OP - are you temping/charting? That's really the only way that you will know whether or not you are ovulating.

Unfortunately, this link provides some information, although for me was a bit lacking and left me with more questions, but it's at least a start...

http://www.westonaprice.org/women/reprod-health.html
#9 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 PM

Another PCOSer. What helps me is staying away from the high-GI carbs. Vegetarianism was just plain too high carb for me in general, especially without relying on unhealthy amounts of soy.

NT is lower carb because it's higher fat and higher protein. I think this is what is helping the PCOS. But you should also consider getting tested because high insulin levels (which is what PCOS really is) can cause all sorts of health problems if left untreated.
#10 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
OP - are you temping/charting? That's really the only way that you will know whether or not you are ovulating.
I did way back when we were trying to get pregnant, and the temps never changed. Now there is no way I could do this, as I co-sleep and my son is the lightest sleeper on the planet. His wake-up time is also unpredictable, and sometimes I have to sit up with him and rock him (which I understand could affect my temperature). The beep of the thermometer alone would wake him up, and then he'd be trying to grab it from me...

I did notice an increase in mucus a few weeks ago, but I thought it was just my body being wacky. And it really hurt to nurse for the last few weeks up until today, but again, I thought it was something else.

#11 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I did way back when we were trying to get pregnant, and the temps never changed.
Temps that don't change are typically indicative of annovulatory cycles which is certainly one "symptom" of PCOS. I can understand your suspicion on the dx of "PCOS-variant" in your case. At the same time, it might be helpful to try some of the more natural PCOS remedies to see if that helps you some.

FWIW, you can chart w/out temping. It might be helpful to chart the symptoms that you do notice to see if you can see a pattern. Not as helpful as temping, but certainly a start.
#12 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 AM

How do you chart w/o temping? Not to hijack this thread, but my CM patterns is not a good indication if I Oed or not, but I have a clear temp shift when I do ovulate...
#13 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 AM

Keeping track of your secondary fertility signs (all other signs aside from BBT) is not a precise way of determining your fertility and won't give you an indication of precisely when you ovulated, but in the OPs case it would definitely be better than nothing. It may not give her very precise information, but it will at least give her more hints and clues about her body. Putting them on a chart will simply keep track of them in an organized fashion so that she can better remember *when* they happened and *what* their connection was. Otherwise it becomes more of a "well, I think this happened, but I didn't think it was releated".

You have been able to determine that cm is not a good indicator for you, but if the OP doesn't connect the dots more precisely on what's happening with her body throughout the month she won't be able to determine that for herself. For the OP it would at least be a place to start and we all have to start somewhere.
#14 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the information about tracking one's fertility being given in this thread, but my original intent was to talk about the return of my period, which is HUGE news for me. I'm thinking that it may be due to my taking a Tablespoon of Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil every day, because of the high dose of vitamin D it gives.

Here's are some links regarding the study showing that some anovulatory women started ovulating after taking vitamin D:

http://www.mercola.com/2002/may/18/vitamin_d.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

ETA: I originally started taking the CLO because of my skin -- breakouts and blackheads. I've had acne almost my entire life, since about the age of ten or twelve. I'm guessing this is all related...

#15 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
ETA: I originally started taking the CLO because of my skin -- breakouts and blackheads. I've had acne almost my entire life, since about the age of ten or twelve. I'm guessing this is all related...
I think that's probably a safe assumption. The more I learn about vitamin D (and the deficiency of it in our diet), the more I am convinced that it is one of the foundations for a great many health issues! Keep up the CLO!

I really should get back to taking mine - if I can gag it down again, that is, but I'll wait til the gi bug has completely left my system, though!
#16 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
I think that's probably a safe assumption. The more I learn about vitamin D (and the deficiency of it in our diet), the more I am convinced that it is one of the foundations for a great many health issues! Keep up the CLO!
Definitely! And since people are discouraged from eating the foods and supplements that contain vitamins A and D, who knows how many have a deficiency. I notice a lot of people who avoid these foods have terrible acne, despite having a "good" diet otherwise.

BTW, ergocalciferol, a D2 vitamin added to supplements, is NOT the same as cholecalciferol, vitamin D3. D2 is made from irradiated fungus! Yuck.

Here's a great article on vitamin D:

"Cholesterol is the Precursor to Vitamin D"
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Vitamin-D.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page